Ulster's finances

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

Ulster's finances

Post by Columbo »

I think there’s a lot of confusion around about Ulster / the IRFU / finances etc, leading IMO to this situation where while Ulster are definitely in a bit of a squeeze, it’s been blown out of all proportion, to the extent where I’ve been seeing people responding with surprise to the contract extensions announced yesterday…

Here’s what I understand about the IRFU model, for what it’s worth. The IRFU does 5 big things commercially, and lots of small things. The big things are: it runs the national side, and it runs 4 provincial sides. It does the former directly from HQ in Dublin, and it does the latter operating through branches in the 4 provinces, to which it appoints local managers reporting to a “CEO” (a misnomer, as the role is in fact a local branch manager). So key point number 1, Ulster *is* the IRFU, acting through its local branch – you see a lot of comment which talks of Ulster and the IRFU as if they were unrelated third parties.

It is and always has been the case that the national team makes a profit and pays all the bills, and the provinces all run at a loss and require ongoing subsidies in one form or another from HQ. (Yes even Leinster, even though they bring in more commercial revenues than any other province, taking into account central contracts etc they would still run at a loss on a fully standalone basis). The surplus generated on the national side basically becomes the ceiling on the funding available to the provinces.

To put this in context, you may have seen talk of Ulster’s deficit being £1m in 2022/23, in fact the ‘real’ deficit, stripping out IRFU funding was more like £5m (on turnover of £12m) – grants of over £4m were remitted from IRFU, 35% of total income. Key point number 2, all provinces are reliant on ongoing funding from IRFU, this is the rule, not the exception.

HQ delegates authority to manage the day to day operations to the branch management teams. Annual budgets are submitted by branches and
agreed with HQ, with funding levels agreed and provided under SLAs.

The fact that the provinces are effectively cost centres gives rise to a risk of moral hazard. When the default is that someone else is stepping in to pick up your tab, there is an incentive to run less of a tight ship than you would if it was your responsibility. So for example, it’s not hard to imagine the provinces having an incentive to try to push through unrealistically ambitious commercial budgets to justify a larger player cost budget, enabling them to carry a bigger / better squad. If the IRFU / province relationship was more akin to a private equity investor / portfolio company relationship, then management could be kept honest by a credible threat of withdrawal of follow-on investment or disposal, with the ultimate sanction being initiation of insolvency proceedings – how credible are any of these in the IRFU set-up? Not at all… For good or ill the IRFU and its branches are bound together and destined to keep limping forward even when things don’t go as planned. (Case study being Munster’s almost comically ambitious projections for Thomond)

What has happened with Ulster this season? Well they were budgeting to make a loss, but it seems as if their financial performance has been adverse to budget. So, mindful of moral hazard, what does the IRFU do? Well it basically does what it has been doing, i.e. makes a bit of a scene, makes noise about imposing cost cuts on the management team etc etc – the IRFU needs to try to incentivise the branch in question to up its game, rather than just turning up and writing a cheque. But at the same time, ultimately it can’t afford to over-egg the pudding, and cut off its nose to spite its face. It needs to incentivise good financial discipline in the branches, but it also needs to keep the provincial sides firing on as many cylinders as possible.

This is not that unusual a situation – so why is it getting so much profile? One reason is that alone among all of the provincial branches, Ulster is the only one to publish a full set of audited accounts, which lays everything out in inglorious detail. So Ulster’s is the only head above the parapet – the accounts are prefaced by statement after statement from CEO, Secretary, Treasurer all talking about how difficult the conditions are, the loss of the La Rochelle game etc etc, all of which is fine, and all of which would also appear in the financial statements of the other provinces if they also published them – but they don’t! So the press and social media only have Ulster’s to get their teeth into… If I was FD of Ulster Branch, the first thing I would do is to meet with the auditors to discuss the absolute bare minimum that I would statutorily be required to file, and do away with everything else.

I think the current doom and gloom over Ulster’s finances is very much overdone – I have seen some frankly mental comments around the place, literally worrying about Ulster’s solvency. Which is crazy, yes management will (justifiably) get a bit of a punishment beating, cost-cutting will take place, but ultimately when the IRFU is seen to get its pound of flesh, it will seek to make the pill less bitter. It is ultimately not in the IRFU’s interests to overdo things and leave Ulster utterly uncompetitive – it wants as many dice as possible to roll each season for knock-out games, gate receipts, etc etc.

That said, there are big questions out there about future years for all 4 provinces – which I’ll come back to as it’s now 10.30 and I’m knackered :D
..one more thing
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster's finances

Post by justinr73 »

Pro sports team in loss making shock.

Villa have just announced losses of 120 million….
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Columbo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 pm I think there’s a lot of confusion around about Ulster / the IRFU / finances etc, leading IMO to this situation where while Ulster are definitely in a bit of a squeeze, it’s been blown out of all proportion, to the extent where I’ve been seeing people responding with surprise to the contract extensions announced yesterday…

Here’s what I understand about the IRFU model, for what it’s worth. The IRFU does 5 big things commercially, and lots of small things. The big things are: it runs the national side, and it runs 4 provincial sides. It does the former directly from HQ in Dublin, and it does the latter operating through branches in the 4 provinces, to which it appoints local managers reporting to a “CEO” (a misnomer, as the role is in fact a local branch manager). So key point number 1, Ulster *is* the IRFU, acting through its local branch – you see a lot of comment which talks of Ulster and the IRFU as if they were unrelated third parties.

It is and always has been the case that the national team makes a profit and pays all the bills, and the provinces all run at a loss and require ongoing subsidies in one form or another from HQ. (Yes even Leinster, even though they bring in more commercial revenues than any other province, taking into account central contracts etc they would still run at a loss on a fully standalone basis). The surplus generated on the national side basically becomes the ceiling on the funding available to the provinces.

To put this in context, you may have seen talk of Ulster’s deficit being £1m in 2022/23, in fact the ‘real’ deficit, stripping out IRFU funding was more like £5m (on turnover of £12m) – grants of over £4m were remitted from IRFU, 35% of total income. Key point number 2, all provinces are reliant on ongoing funding from IRFU, this is the rule, not the exception.

HQ delegates authority to manage the day to day operations to the branch management teams. Annual budgets are submitted by branches and
agreed with HQ, with funding levels agreed and provided under SLAs.

The fact that the provinces are effectively cost centres gives rise to a risk of moral hazard. When the default is that someone else is stepping in to pick up your tab, there is an incentive to run less of a tight ship than you would if it was your responsibility. So for example, it’s not hard to imagine the provinces having an incentive to try to push through unrealistically ambitious commercial budgets to justify a larger player cost budget, enabling them to carry a bigger / better squad. If the IRFU / province relationship was more akin to a private equity investor / portfolio company relationship, then management could be kept honest by a credible threat of withdrawal of follow-on investment or disposal, with the ultimate sanction being initiation of insolvency proceedings – how credible are any of these in the IRFU set-up? Not at all… For good or ill the IRFU and its branches are bound together and destined to keep limping forward even when things don’t go as planned. (Case study being Munster’s almost comically ambitious projections for Thomond)

What has happened with Ulster this season? Well they were budgeting to make a loss, but it seems as if their financial performance has been adverse to budget. So, mindful of moral hazard, what does the IRFU do? Well it basically does what it has been doing, i.e. makes a bit of a scene, makes noise about imposing cost cuts on the management team etc etc – the IRFU needs to try to incentivise the branch in question to up its game, rather than just turning up and writing a cheque. But at the same time, ultimately it can’t afford to over-egg the pudding, and cut off its nose to spite its face. It needs to incentivise good financial discipline in the branches, but it also needs to keep the provincial sides firing on as many cylinders as possible.

This is not that unusual a situation – so why is it getting so much profile? One reason is that alone among all of the provincial branches, Ulster is the only one to publish a full set of audited accounts, which lays everything out in inglorious detail. So Ulster’s is the only head above the parapet – the accounts are prefaced by statement after statement from CEO, Secretary, Treasurer all talking about how difficult the conditions are, the loss of the La Rochelle game etc etc, all of which is fine, and all of which would also appear in the financial statements of the other provinces if they also published them – but they don’t! So the press and social media only have Ulster’s to get their teeth into… If I was FD of Ulster Branch, the first thing I would do is to meet with the auditors to discuss the absolute bare minimum that I would statutorily be required to file, and do away with everything else.

I think the current doom and gloom over Ulster’s finances is very much overdone – I have seen some frankly mental comments around the place, literally worrying about Ulster’s solvency. Which is crazy, yes management will (justifiably) get a bit of a punishment beating, cost-cutting will take place, but ultimately when the IRFU is seen to get its pound of flesh, it will seek to make the pill less bitter. It is ultimately not in the IRFU’s interests to overdo things and leave Ulster utterly uncompetitive – it wants as many dice as possible to roll each season for knock-out games, gate receipts, etc etc.

That said, there are big questions out there about future years for all 4 provinces – which I’ll come back to as it’s now 10.30 and I’m knackered :D
Excellent post. A bit too sensible for this parish perhaps but very well set out. Thank you.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:Pro sports team in loss making shock.

Villa have just announced losses of 120 million….
They could sell Ollie Watkins and redeem a chunk of that or qualify for the UCL. The losses are huge in football but so are the gains.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

You are exactly right in all that you say Columbo, can't disagree with any of that.

What I would say is that in return for the IRFU 'funding' UR they should be expecting competence, development of the game, and a steady stream of players of a standard to play for Ireland. That UR have failed so horribly in this is such a frustration for supporters, from the incompetence of pitchgate, to the perception the male rugby in the province is declining and UR not finding a solution to this, to how poorly the academy has performed and as people graduate from the academy that they don't kick on.
Given the above, would you blame the IRFU for cutting back funding to UR, I sure wouldn't. Ultimately, though, it is the head honchos in Dublin that should be accountable for how poorly UR has performed, it is them that rubberstamp presumably all appointments at their Belfast branch. I do feel that there is a clear lack of accountability of people either in Belfast (Cunningham and Petrie haven't impressed) or whoever in Dublin that rubberstamps the decisions.
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... n-problem/

This is an interesting article in today’s daily telegraph.
In rugby the score isn’t important....it’s the taking apart
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Ravenhillman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:41 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... n-problem/

This is an interesting article in today’s daily telegraph.
It is but fundamentally stating what we've all been saying consistently the last few years. The understatement about mismanagement is frankly risible
Exterminate all rational thought
muscles
Novice

Post by muscles »

Good post by Columbo. Yet accounts highlight a developing more & more weak financial situation over the last few years. Suggests poor financial management. IRFU will bail them out, of course, but at a price which seems to be more aimed at cutting direct costs (squad) rather than administrative costs. Indeed they have recruited a new senior management role, Head of Commercial & a sales & marketing manager. Hope they generate new income streams to justify their cost.

There must be some solvency risk as Hon Secretary’s Report notes the personal liability risk of the Trustees and plans to incorporate the organisation as a company limited by guarantee.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

And yet UR buy up residential properties for 1/2m and leave empty 🤔
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Must have been to save a bit of tax?
muscles
Novice

Post by muscles »

One wonders how they believed they could afford Kitshoff. Maybe they will sell the “investment property” to help fund his wages, as they have little cash left £1.3m (£2.4m, a year previously) & given another deficit (a further large one likely) forecast (accounts say so) this year suggesting potentially in overdraft by July 2024.

So more dependent than ever on maintaining £0.9m season ticket renewals. A key reason for wishing to reconnect with supporters, perhaps.

I would suggest they would be quite keen if another Club recruited Kitshoff. Whether this happens or not, considerably more credit needed from IRFU.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

muscles wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:12 pmGood post by Columbo. Yet accounts highlight a developing more & more weak financial situation over the last few years. Suggests poor financial management. IRFU will bail them out, of course, but at a price which seems to be more aimed at cutting direct costs (squad) rather than administrative costs. Indeed they have recruited a new senior management role, Head of Commercial & a sales & marketing manager. Hope they generate new income streams to justify their cost.

There must be some solvency risk as Hon Secretary’s Report notes the personal liability risk of the Trustees and plans to incorporate the organisation as a company limited by guarantee.
I'm certainly not saying that there is no issue with financial management or management more broadly. In fairness in some cases financial underperformance is a result of things outside of the control of a management team (although much less frequently than management teams claim! In my experience, outperformance is always the result of "strong leadership and management", and underperformance is always down to "unavoidable events outside of the control of the management team"), not being on the inside I can't really say, but I will say that the performance of Petrie et al during the whole La Rochelle debacle last year gives reason to query.. I agree on the apparent focus so far on player cost rather than admin, and I think there would definitely be a bit of fat to cut there, starting at the top!

On the solvency point, the project to incorporate the Union and branches is to remove the personal liability risk, but in the event of the insolvency of the union as a whole. This was brought into focus during the near-death moment during COVID. The risk of the union becoming insolvent is small and highly unlikely, but conceivable, so this is a very worthwhile bit of housekeeping (particularly if you're one of the individuals theoretically at risk!)

However what is not conceivable is that the union, itself otherwise solvent, would elect to cease funding one of its branches, precipitating insolvency at the branch level. Think for a minute about all that would flow from that - is it even possible for a branch to enter formal a insolvency process, or do all creditors' claims remain in full against the union (given it's a branch not a subsidiary)? If not what is proposed, that the union attempt to selectively default on certain creditors?? Leaving aside process, reputational risk - among all players, coaches, other employees, lenders or potential lenders, all other stakeholders - would be enormous, and irrecoverable. The IRFU would immediately be in breach of its obligations under the URC agreement to enter 4 teams in the competition, along with presumably the attendant broadcast agreements. And let's not even start into the political s***-show that would ensue...

I would argue that the risk of an otherwise solvent IRFU electing to cease funding any one branch is so low as to be practically zero.

But again, that's not to say that this means that everything's fine, Ulster (and not just Ulster btw) are in for at the least a lean season or two, smaller squad, much bigger focus on pathway / pipeline (this is happening now in earnest, and is a good thing), more scrutiny from HQ etc etc. But it's not the disaster that is being made out in some quarters. What is clear is that the IRFU / Ulster need to get back on top of the messaging, which is something they have always been awful at.
..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Cockatrice wrote:And yet UR buy up residential properties for 1/2m and leave empty Image
This is certainly a strange one and I have no idea what the plan is there
..one more thing
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

muscles wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:36 am One wonders how they believed they could afford Kitshoff. Maybe they will sell the “investment property” to help fund his wages, as they have little cash left £1.3m (£2.4m, a year previously) & given another deficit (a further large one likely) forecast (accounts say so) this year suggesting potentially in overdraft by July 2024.

So more dependent than ever on maintaining £0.9m season ticket renewals. A key reason for wishing to reconnect with supporters, perhaps.

I would suggest they would be quite keen if another Club recruited Kitshoff. Whether this happens or not, considerably more credit needed from IRFU.
One seriously needs to question the wisdom of spending £1/2m in cash on an investment that is non sport related and which has paid vacant all season … especially at a time of such financial pressure.. they even list it as an investment …WHY?

If they hadn’t purchased they could have written off half their debt overnight
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Similarly, if they hadn’t and the La Rochelle game went ahead etc, then they would have made a small profit.

I’m assuming it was a tax saving exercise, as well as an investment.