Clermont v Ulster, Saturday April 13 12:30pm (UK Time) TNT Sports - Actual Channel TBC

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Soda
Novice

Re: Clermont v Ulster, Saturday April 13 12:30pm (UK Time) TNT Sports - Actual Channel TBC

Post by Soda »

Jetstream wrote:A number of years ago Ulster Rugby invited two club representatives of every club,on a phased basis, up to Belfast to watch a match. They had some food and drink before hand with a mix of Branch officials and visiting team officials .It was a great idea and much appreciated
How is that a great idea?

How does that help youth development?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Clermont v Ulster, Saturday April 13 12:30pm (UK Time) TNT Sports - Actual Channel TBC

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Watching the game yesterday I commented that for all our possession in the first half, we made few significant incursions against their blitz defence with no strategy on how to unlock it apart from maul. More importantly, the weight of hits from a physically more imposing Clermont meant we ran out if gas as the toll mounted.

I'm going back to a point I've made previously, many of our players, but forwards especially, are poorly conditioned in comparison to most teams above us. We are not physically capable of taking these teams on for a sustained 80 mins, and this falls further when we empty the bench. Stewart, Treadwell, Hendo, Rea, TOT, Wilson etc have no significant muscle definition. Addison, Mcilroy, Moore, Doak etc in the backs- same. There seems little attention to S&C in evidence. Watched Saints and Bulls B, Glaws etc in every other weekend game every team looks bigger and better conditioned, indeed muscular, as well as better prepared, strategically as well as skill levels. Until we either strengthen and condition what we've got, these beatings will continue.
Knife to gun fight or pop gun versus battleship.
Exterminate all rational thought
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Yep, compare the physical development of certain Leinsters players to try at if their Ulster counterparts.

Players like Van Der flier had a great off season around 2015 and came back a bit of a unit, soon became an Irish international.

Look at the physical development of Michael Milne and Jack Boyle.

If Tom Stewart doesn’t improve he won’t be winning many more Irish caps. He was better when he came on the scene a couple of seasons ago. Far too weak for a front rower.

But then again, perhaps it’s easier for the strength and conditioning coaches to stay quiet. Look at what happened Jared Payne, he was let go according to Ruaire O’Connor (sp?) because he kept questioning the coaching tactics and replaced by an inferior coach (Soper).

I suggest Soper is an inferior coach, purely because of the lack of development of the backs and attack under his tutelage.

Looks like he’ll end up at Leinster next season.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

On the same theme, worth a read regarding how Saints have improved this season….

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... quad-bulk/

There’s a paywall but I think you get one free spin.

If you can’t read it, they basically did more weights sessions!
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Soda wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:50 am
Jetstream wrote:A number of years ago Ulster Rugby invited two club representatives of every club,on a phased basis, up to Belfast to watch a match. They had some food and drink before hand with a mix of Branch officials and visiting team officials .It was a great idea and much appreciated

I will turn that question around. Do you think it was a bad idea?
To non Belfast clubs it was an opportunity to meet branch officials, ask questions, gather information, make contacts.
I know in my own club a branch coach or official has not set foot in it in the last 10 years. They pay lip service to the clubs outside Belfast.
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

Jetstream wrote:

I will turn that question around. Do you think it was a bad idea?
To non Belfast clubs it was an opportunity to meet branch officials, ask questions, gather information, make contacts.
I know in my own club a branch coach or official has not set foot in it in the last 10 years. They pay lip service to the clubs outside Belfast.
Not a bad idea as such, just sounds like a jolly boys outing.

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:12 am On the same theme, worth a read regarding how Saints have improved this season….

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... quad-bulk/

There’s a paywall but I think you get one free spin.

If you can’t read it, they basically did more weights sessions!
Here's the thing Justin, even if you're not the most skilful player in the world, you can be among the fittest and strongest. This isn't "God given" but down to attitude and will. Our players are too cozy- back to jobs for the boys and contracts for life... >flog >seeya
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

"We were way ahead of ourselves today than we were at the start of other European journeys with other groups of players, because a lot of these guys are getting experience very quickly - that's been the plan," Baxter added.

"Some of them have jumped way ahead of our expectations whether they've become internationals this season or done things.

"But as a group we've still got some maturing, both physically and mentally, to do because it is a young team.

"Dafydd's the Wales captain but he's only just turned 21, Manny's 20, Greg Fisilau 20, and they're some of our guys who we expect to the carry the mantle for quite a long time.

"They're going to need to be tough through days like today and they're going to have to not brush it off, learn from it, and they're going to have to learn that you can beat the best - but staying competitive is the next step."

Rob Baxter on rebuilding Exeter after the thumping from Toulouse.

Sound familiar..............?
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:49 am "We were way ahead of ourselves today than we were at the start of other European journeys with other groups of players, because a lot of these guys are getting experience very quickly - that's been the plan," Baxter added.

"Some of them have jumped way ahead of our expectations whether they've become internationals this season or done things.

"But as a group we've still got some maturing, both physically and mentally, to do because it is a young team.

"Dafydd's the Wales captain but he's only just turned 21, Manny's 20, Greg Fisilau 20, and they're some of our guys who we expect to the carry the mantle for quite a long time.

"They're going to need to be tough through days like today and they're going to have to not brush it off, learn from it, and they're going to have to learn that you can beat the best - but staying competitive is the next step."

Rob Baxter on rebuilding Exeter after the thumping from Toulouse.

Sound familiar..............?
Only difference being Exeter stuck with one of the best teams in Europe for 50 minutes and actually looked dangerous
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Difference Baxter and his team has planned for and delivered significant progress ahead of time, unlike UR who should've seen this coming.

But he has them fit and strong enough to compete, even with a reduced squad and young cubs. We babysit ours despite some of our young forwards showing they are capable but need mentored and developed. That's the tragedy/ waste that is UR
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Agreed, if they are good enough, then they are old enough. Another outcome of the "blazer" generation mantra that so and so will be better next year etc. Not always true.

We need to be better at spotting the good " grow-your-owns". We have kept some too long who are not going to make it, and let go others who would have .
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

It included a one to one with Ferris!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Good headline in the BT.

“Clermont hammering a reality check for those overestimating us” says Nathan Doak.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:48 pm Good headline in the BT.

“Clermont hammering a reality check for those overestimating us” says Nathan Doak.
Hands up whoever has been overestimating. You know who you are :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I'm sure I saw an article last week where Dave McCann reckoned the sky was the limit for this team.