Clermont v Ulster, Saturday April 13 12:30pm (UK Time) TNT Sports - Actual Channel TBC

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Clermont v Ulster, Saturday April 13 12:30pm (UK Time) TNT Sports - Actual Channel TBC

Post by Bart S »

Maybe time to restart the Positives and Negatives post match thread.

Positives - Ulster rugby has a hitherto unknown Turnover King

Negatives - everything else.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Clermont v Ulster, Saturday April 13 12:30pm (UK Time) TNT Sports - Actual Channel TBC

Post by rumncoke »

4 away games was 1 too
many with the injuries to too many players when the chase got to too much the heart was not there to contend with a team gone rampant
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

My reckoning is that all on here are loyal Ulster fans who care. Nobody is going to be rushing off to support the Mexicans instead. As has been shown buying in expensive NIQ players is not the panacea for the problems. The problems are systemic and need a root and branch change. It will take time but we must grow as much home talent as possible, AIL, schools (not just the usual grammars). Make rugby attractive i.e. fun. The numerous unpaid amateur coaches must be recognised and supported and used as ‘talent spotters’. Do not forget - WE ARE ULSTER RUGBY not the CEO, nor the board, coaches or dare I say the players.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Bart S wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:16 pm Maybe time to restart the Positives and Negatives post match thread.

To be fair to him, he got turned over right in front of me last week. Half assed attempt at a clear out that led to a penalty.

It seems Leinster have forgotten how to choke against La Rochelle, need to find out what their secret is.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Leinster have been absolutely brilliant. Rugby defeats monstersized forwards.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Took them to beat the handicap.

Weirdly, most of their fawning pundits went for LR.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:09 pm My reckoning is that all on here are loyal Ulster fans who care. Nobody is going to be rushing off to support the Mexicans instead. As has been shown buying in expensive NIQ players is not the panacea for the problems. The problems are systemic and need a root and branch change. It will take time but we must grow as much home talent as possible, AIL, schools (not just the usual grammars). Make rugby attractive i.e. fun. The numerous unpaid amateur coaches must be recognised and supported and used as ‘talent spotters’. Do not forget - WE ARE ULSTER RUGBY not the CEO, nor the board, coaches or dare I say the players.
WE ARE ULSTER RUGBY!!! Most of the blazers get nervous after they drive out of the 30mph in Belfast.
There are 9 counties in Ulster. The bulk of our players come out of about 2 counties.
Our much maligned coach Mr Anscombe took the players out of Belfast on a number of occasions to mix with the country yokels. Even DH came along. Initiatives like that are needed to spread the gospel
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

A number of years ago Ulster Rugby invited two club representatives of every club,on a phased basis, up to Belfast to watch a match. They had some food and drink before hand with a mix of Branch officials and visiting team officials .It was a great idea and much appreciated
The evening I was up the event was hosted by Bryn's daddy.
Are all of the Cunningham family and friends employed by Ulster Rugby?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

All of them apart from Jan.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:09 pm My reckoning is that all on here are loyal Ulster fans who care. Nobody is going to be rushing off to support the Mexicans instead. As has been shown buying in expensive NIQ players is not the panacea for the problems. The problems are systemic and need a root and branch change. It will take time but we must grow as much home talent as possible, AIL, schools (not just the usual grammars). Make rugby attractive i.e. fun. The numerous unpaid amateur coaches must be recognised and supported and used as ‘talent spotters’. Do not forget - WE ARE ULSTER RUGBY not the CEO, nor the board, coaches or dare I say the players.
Maybe we simply have to see ourselves in the same light as most teams in most leagues in most sports. We enjoy playing / supporting, knowing that both are a good evening / afternoon out. We accept our defeats and rejoice in our wins, even if they are relatively few. Tht's life. Always remember, it oculd be worse... we could be Welsh.

Anyone know how the folk in Connacht see their team? We may be just about the same level as them these days.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Indeed.

I’ve enjoyed the last ten years dining off the occasion crumb from the top table.

PNE’s defeat today effectively consigned them to the 64th, I think, consecutive year outside the first division.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:58 pm All of them apart from Jan.
Jan is their solicitor…
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cockatrice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:56 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:58 pm All of them apart from Jan.
Jan is their solicitor…
Mate’s rates?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:10 pm
Bart S wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:16 pm Maybe time to restart the Positives and Negatives post match thread.

To be fair to him, he got turned over right in front of me last week. Half assed attempt at a clear out that led to a penalty.

It seems Leinster have forgotten how to choke against La Rochelle, need to find out what their secret is.
Remains to be seen whether they have forgotten how to choke in finals. Been a few years since they've won one.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep, no way were LR were getting close in that game after an indifferent season and the trip to Cape Town.