Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Ireland)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Irel

Post by solidarity »

Columbo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:40 pm
Bart S wrote:I wouldn't write off Murphy after 5 games. Lucky tonight but let's see if they can build some confidence from this.

He walked into a total mess. CEO going, star player going and unlikely to be replaced and a squad where all was not well.

When you see what Sheridan is delivering it's a mystery as to what Dan was doing with him this season.
I think Murphy has a lot of leverage - I’d imagine the IRFU desperately want to be able to give him the job (quicker, easier and cheaper than going to market). Hopefully he can parlay that leverage into more signings (he has already said that Ulster need to recruit a 10, as did Hugh in his latest video) and perhaps as important some new coaches.. if Grant is in charge of our set piece and breakdown, questions need to be asked IMO - lineout consistently poor, and a big deterioration in breakdown over the last 18 mths. Defence too. And maybe Soper? Popular but our attack has been dreadful since he became attack coach, and Richie covers skills, so maybe hard to find a role for him..

As for Izzy’s tackle it was superb, and swinging legs around is textbook, in fact one of this weekends highlights clips doing the rounds on social media is Penauds coast to coast which starts off with Bielle-Biarrey doing exactly that to prevent a grounding! There’s no way he was ‘kicking’ the ball
Superb tackle. I may be imagining things but, having looked at it a number of times, I reckon he paused a little to get his timing right then went fo it. Brilliant. Must have a look at Penaud and Bielle-Biarrry. Any link?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Cardiff Friday April 19, 7:35pm - BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / TG4 / Premier Sports (UK) 2 / Premier Sports (Irel

Post by justinr73 »

Izzy may not have admitted to pausing to get his timing right?

Kinsella and Casey on the 42 reckon it was a penalty try but were happy enough with the incident at the end. Jackman said the tackle needed looking at but thought the knock on went backwards if he touched at all. There was a general feeling that Cooney knocked on for our solitary try (from the lineout, which was my impression at the time).

We were certainly extremely close to our worst result of the season, no more than the width of Carre’s fingertip.

I trust Murphy bought Adamson a pint afterwards.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:54 pm Izzy may not have admitted to pausing to get his timing right?

Kinsella and Casey on the 42 reckon it was a penalty try but were happy enough with the incident at the end. Jackman said the tackle needed looking at but thought the knock on went backwards if he touched at all. There was a general feeling that Cooney knocked on for our solitary try (from the lineout, which was my impression at the time).

We were certainly extremely close to our worst result of the season, no more than the width of Carre’s fingertip.

I trust Murphy bought Adamson a pint afterwards.
Adamson won't be reffing next weekend. He'll be too busy doing the VAR for Nottingham Forest's next match.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

If Carre touched that ball with a forward motion it was a knock on regardless of where the momentum of the ball took it afterwards.

The last 2 decisions were correct and the Cooney one looked wrong.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:51 pm If Carre touched that ball with a forward motion it was a knock on regardless of where the momentum of the ball took it afterwards.

I think i agree with all that.

There is some doubt in my mind regarding CI’s timely intervention but he probably deserved the benefit of any doubt had it occurred to Adamson to check it.

I don’t think Cardiff complained about it, although at least one of their players tried to raise Cooney’s knock on.
jacothelad
Novice

Post by jacothelad »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:29 am
big mervyn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:51 pm If Carre touched that ball with a forward motion it was a knock on regardless of where the momentum of the ball took it afterwards.

I think i agree with all that.

There is some doubt in my mind regarding CI’s timely intervention but he probably deserved the benefit of any doubt had it occurred to Adamson to check it.

I don’t think Cardiff complained about it, although at least one of their players tried to raise Cooney’s knock on.
I got the impression that with what people are calling the the Cooney 'knock-on,' that the ball was thrown backwards from the l/o but hit the ground in front of him and then bounced forward back towards the l/o. Cooney then passed it out..... I binned the recording immediately after the game so can't watch it back.......How has it come to this? Well, it's been death by a thousand cretinous decisions going back to 2013 or 14 right up to now. :scratch: :scratch: >flog
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I was level with that one. Cooney got something on it.

The game is on iplayer and that lineout is about 57.30 on the match clock on screen.

The Izzy one is about 67.15. Young did not lose the ball in the tackle, in the normal sense of that expression. He was in the process of placing the ball over the line when the leg swung around.

I’ve previously noticed that Adamson has been reluctant to make decisions and has waited for the TMO to get in his ear. The Scottish TMO appeared to be similarly reluctant on Friday night and it took an age for the crowd to thankfully alert him to Carre’s actions.

Close games are likely to hinge on stuff like that. You win some, you lose some I suppose.

PS Mike nearly made a decision regarding Stockdale’s knock on but then bottled it and ended up going upstairs, whilst attempting to hide the yellow card in his rather too small left paw.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Imo;

Carre call was correct.
Cooney knocked on before Ulster try.
Cormac's tackle was correct, indeed was exactly what you need, memories in my mind still strong from Balaucoune and Addison pawing off Connacht flanker on his way to the line and to a win.

I may be wrong but think Adamson may have been the ref when Wales bt Ire in Cardiff, winning through a quick line out with the wrong ball, you'll recall, justsaying.

However, my son-in-law is a ref and its a thankless job, the lad worries to death about his performance, paid peanuts and frequently has to drive to places like Cork, even Czech Republic once, gets a serious appraisal, fitness tests, the works. A bit like the police, everyone gives out about them but thank God we have people prepared to do their job as I wouldn't.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Good luck to him.

Tried reffing a football game once which was hard enough.

Think I had to give a pen and an indirect free kick in the box. Never again.

Rugby must be miles harder to ref.

Adamson is still useless, mind.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Marco wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:02 pm Imo;

Carre call was correct.
Cormac's tackle was correct, indeed was exactly what you need, memories in my mind still strong from Balaucoune and Addison pawing off Connacht flanker on his way to the line and to a win.

I may be wrong but think Adamson may have been the ref when Wales bt Ire in Cardiff, winning through a quick line out with the wrong ball, you'll recall, justsaying.

However, my son-in-law is a ref and its a thankless job, the lad worries to death about his performance, paid peanuts and frequently has to drive to places like Cork, even Czech Republic once, gets a serious appraisal, fitness tests, the works. A bit like the police, everyone gives out about them but thank God we have people prepared to do their job as I wouldn't.
Jonathan Kaplin was referee in Ireland versus Wales match.
Cooney knocked on but you cannot go back more than 2 phases unless there is foul play. There was no foul play.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Marco wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:02 pm Imo;

Carre call was correct.

You may be confusing Adamson with his fellow Scot Peter Allan who was the touch judge who failed to spot that Johnny Sexton's sliced kick had ended up in Row Z of the lower tier* and therefore the Welsh couldn't have used the same ball to take a quick lineout. He then lied to the ref when asked if it was the same ball after the try was scored. Think that pretty much ended his career.

* only a slight exaggeration
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

As gerry would say it hasn't gone away you know. If you want a laugh have a read of some of the comments here.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... ts-wrapper
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The Cardiff coach got a one match touchline ban plus five suspended for presumably telling Adamson what countless other coaches have been wanting to tell him for years.