Ulster 2005/06

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Skyhawk
Novice

Ulster 2005/06

Post by Skyhawk »

What are people’s realistic expectations for Ulster for the coming season?

I think its about time that Ulster reached another HC QF.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I would say we all think it is time they made at least the QF's, but this is another tough group, Biarritz will be tough and Sarries no pushover either.
Once again out of the Irish sides Leinster have the easiest draw.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

QFs a possibility this year. Probably a better prospect than previous years because we've drawn an Italian team in our group this time round. But it is by no means a certainty.

We need to win all our home games - which we would normally manage.

we need to beat Treviso away - which should be more than possible.

AND we need to pick up points - preferably with a win -against Sarries or Biarritz - but neither of those will be easy.

As ever we start the season full of hope - let's hope the team show that it is not misplaced. :wink:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Don't want to pour cold water on hopes but Treviso will be no pushover especially away from home, although we can hope that by the time we play them that their interest in the competition has long gone. I would say that a top four finish in the CL and second place in the ERC group would be going well. But as always at the start of every season I am hoping that our interest in both competitions goes all the way to the last games.
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

The HEC is getting harder and harder every year. The CL should be interesting as well. It will be interestingto see how the Welsh do p´layind midweek and at weekends. BUT I THINK THE Justin boys will help out quite a bit. Hopefully brother Fitzpatrick can keep his fists in his pockets and his body fixed on the destruction of the opposition front rows.

Colin :twisted:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I refer honorable members to previous posts I made when the draw came out (for ERC).

It is very favourable.

Home Treviso - got to be a win
Away Biarritz - could we catch them cold? they're better, far better than we last visited. bonus point at best
Home Saracens - crucial must must must win game
Away Saracens - reverse fixture with Sarries hopefully out of it - got to win to have chance of qualifying
Home Biarritz - fortress Ravenhill will have to stand firm. Again got to be a home win.
Away Treviso - hopefully on a roll, won't be easy but a win to qualify for qfs if the previous results go as I hope/predict.

So second in pool and qualification has got to be a legitimate target.

Re CL. There really wasn't very much between the mid table teams 3rd to about 9th. But (I know that word again) but for our woeful early season home form and some daylight robbery in Wales, we could easily have been 3rd or 4th.
Dragons and Leinster are certainly not as strong. Will the Scots get their act together?
If we can get on an early season roll (like 2 years ago us and Scarlets; last year Ospreys and Munster) then top 4 should be eminently attainable - although 4 aways in first 6 games won't help.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Two sides of the same coin freddie. Four away games in the first six looks ominous - but If we can get 4 good away results in at the start of the season it would set us up very nicely indeed.... :P
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I agree with your thoughts on Heiny Freddie, bonus points are the key to get the hopefully top place but more realisticaly second place any games lost must secure a bonus and at least 2 of the home games need a 4 try bonus with also winning the home games and keeping the loser from getting bonus, anyone who thinks Biarritz is going to sit back and not go for big points at home is only kidding themselves :red: :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

colin is right… it does seem to be getting harder and harder every season. qualification from the group is a minimum, and with the rub of the green a semi berth might be achievable… :shock:

the squad should have had a season to gel under mccall and should hopefully burst through this season and i think may take a few of the ‘top’ teams on the back foot

i think the fans could potentially come into their own as well given a good run

‘mon ulsterrrrrrrr! :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I think the Ulster squad is looking quite healthy and that's the key word - we did have a lot of injuries last year! So fingers crossed. I think the other surprise packages will be the blues in Wales and Edinburgh in Scotland as both squads are substantially strengthened. The CL should be a cracker this year now everyone has to qualify. I think the borders and the dragons will struggle and Leinster will have to remove from bum, cheerio, Setanta
bobbyfatfingers
Novice

Post by bobbyfatfingers »

it's not just bonus points guys, we'll need plenty of tries to gain any advantage out of the italian team. hopefully we'll start with a defensive pattern that works and get on a roll. by the time the HEC comes around we'll have a buzz about the place and take it from there
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

Even if it's not quite a group of death, I think we will have done well to finish runners-up in the pool and exceptionally well if that is enough to gain a QF berth.

As for the CL, I would hope for at least a top four finish but would like to think we could be in with a real shout.

A functional lineout, consistency of selection, more aggression up front and a demonstrable mastery of some of the basics will all be welcome signs of progress.
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

...and a break from Scottish officialdom would be useful...
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

bobbyfatfingers wrote:it's not just bonus points guys, we'll need plenty of tries to gain any advantage out of the italian team. hopefully we'll start with a defensive pattern that works and get on a roll. by the time the HEC comes around we'll have a buzz about the place and take it from there
IIRC try count is no longer part of the equation (other than gaining a bonus pt on 4). Therefore a 40 - 3 win with 8 tries is of no more value than a 40 - 3 win with 4 tries.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

[quote="BRTherefore a 40 - 3 win with 8 tries is of no more value than a 40 - 3 win with 4 tries.[/quote]

but 8 tries would be a hell of a lot more fun :wink:
No longer the Celtic League winning coach