Marathon competition!!!

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

ballpark
Warrior Chief

Marathon competition!!!

Post by ballpark »

There was panic amongst the UAFC City of Belfast marathon relay wannabees team when it was surmised they might have competition from their fellow ulster rugby supporters. Thoughts of thunder being stolen, relay times being shredded and red faced UAFC relay runners trailing in a rival supporters jet streams where evoked when it was thought that a relay team of season ticket holders calling themselves 'the Stubbs' had been assembled to challenge the athletically challenged UAFC team.

The Stubbs where it seemed to have been led by one Geoffrey Weir, Ulster rugby supporter, season ticket holder and Irish representative in the World Mountain Marathon.

A bemused Geoffrey pictured on the home page of the UAFC website, holding a single pint as opposed to the customary four carried by the UAFC team representatives Kimble and cap'n Grumpy, laughed when he heard he might provide competition for the UAFC team.
"The UAFC team can rest easy," said Geoff by now almost collapsing with mirth, "I'll be on top of the world when the UAFC team are running up the Donegall Road," he enthused, in a reference to his prospective climb of Everest. Geoff perhaps had his conquests of Mount Blanc, Aconcagua, Kilimanjaro, Mount Kenya to name but a few on his mind as he continued to chortle hysterically.

"The fat bar steward misread Mr. Weir's press release," said a by now relieved cap'n Grumpy sporting his new chic 34 inch waistline and 36 inch beard. "Anyway we have our own mountains to climb on the 1st May," added the cap'n.
"Like what for instance?" asked the by now irritated fat bar steward pouring the cap'n a red bull.
"Er, Grand Parade is pretty tough after you've run five miles," said the cap'n in a reticent manner. Another competitor on the UAFC team known as Tik ToK, because he runs against the clock, opined that the team would have accepted any competition from whatever quarter and indeed he himself had planned to go the extra mile when he first heard Mr. Weir's team mooted.
Added Tik ToK bullishly before running off to a cold shower, "perhaps it's as well Mr. Weir and his team are sticking to Everest. Racing against us UAFC boys would be a lot tougher."

Last word must go to Mr. Weir and his half full pint.
"I'm not sure how this started" he said.
With perhaps avalanches, xxx gale force winds, climbing crampons and oxygen tanks, as opposed to tarmac, city breezes and smirking onlookers in mind, he continued,
"I'll be happy just to get to the top and would just like to wish the UAFC team all the best and hope they are at peak fitness like I'll be."
banditt
Novice

Post by banditt »

it would be great having a 34 inch waist..........then again,43inch is starting to look good on me... :roll:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

On a serious note, has anyone heard of their progress in the climb as I hear there is a spot of trouble in Nepal at present with rebels trying to depose the king.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
GH1963
Novice

Post by GH1963 »

Yes I heard the same. I was talking to Geoff during the week by Sat phone and he did not sound happy.

But I had heard DeadBall was in the area fermenting dissent and causing all sorts of trouble, that scallywag! :lol:
Club 33.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

GH1963 wrote: But I had heard DeadBall was in the area fermenting dissent and causing all sorts of trouble, that scallywag! :lol:
:roll: Might have known :evil:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

GH1963 wrote:Yes I heard the same. I was talking to Geoff during the week by Sat phone and he did not sound happy.
Interesting that you were talking to him, would you like to give the occasional update of their progress :?
Rory Best
GH1963
Novice

Post by GH1963 »

Actually I had heard he is also head of nuclear development in Iran and is the twin brother of Osama Bin Laden. Filthy begger just as well he isn't allowed on here anymore!!!
Club 33.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Not looking for an update on dead ball :roll: an update on Geoff's progress up the hill :D
Rory Best
GH1963
Novice

Post by GH1963 »

Not to sure at moment will advise as info comes available. Are you doing the wee jog?
Club 33.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

GH1963 wrote:Not to sure at moment will advise as info comes available. Are you doing the wee jog?
Cheers for that :salut: Me jog :shock: you must be joking :lol: I paid Mulligan to run it for me :D
Rory Best
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

Would definitely like to hear about Mr. Weir's progress as i drew attention to it in the first place on this post by comparing his indomitable spirit with those purveyors of the art of horizontal 'racing' Messers Barnes, HWM, Kimble, wee K and Grumps. :lol:
GH1963
Novice

Post by GH1963 »

Just heard from Geoff on SAT phone they have made excellent progress and they have reached ABC in the last 1/2 hour or so! They are at about 8000 feet!

Well done boys!!
Club 33.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Great job keep it up and reach for the top :D :red:
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

GH1963 wrote:Just heard from Geoff on SAT phone they have made excellent progress and they have reached ABC in the last 1/2 hour or so! They are at about 8000 feet!

Well done boys!!
more liklely 8,000 metres :shock:

Sounds like they're making good progress - how's the weather looking?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pwrmoore wrote:
more liklely 8,000 metres :shock:
I dare say it's hard to metricate a climber from here , as if did not head abroad it would be hard to get into 4 figures :lol:
Rory Best