Ulster 2006/07

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Ulster 2006/07

Post by cjp »

I Know this season hasn't started yet even, but was looking at UR's player profiles and we could well have up to 9 contracts up for grabs next year.

Bell, Howe, Topping, Larkin, Maggs and Stewart are all unlikely to get new deals or either retire. While in the pack. Feather and Frost could be candidates to lose contracts while Rod Moore will probably retire. Which sort of leaves us looking for alot of home grown talent to take those places.

I know its a long way away but just a thought.
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

What is frightening about that list is that in my opinion at least three if not more should have been put out to grass this year. i.e. Topping, Bell and Larkin. These guys are simply denying full time contracts to the younger players THIS year. Bell has started how many matches in the last two seasons??? He is simply injury prone.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Agreed a lot of these boys are past the best days of their careers and it is time to bring in young Trimble as well as feeding the U21 and U19 boys.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Insider
Novice

Post by Insider »

Completely agree re Bell but can we afford to let Larkin go until we find a definate replacement for Humphs? Is Steenson up to it?
Think Topping's best days are behind him but he does appear to be in good shape for this season, no reason why he still cant mix it in the CL.
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired you quit when the gorilla is tired.
-Robert Strauss
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

At present McCall stated last year at the URSC AGM that Paddy Wallace was the Humph replacement :? if this is the case we should be seeing more of Paddy in the 10 shirt and Humph starting to sit on the pine :shock: It could be very frustrating to watch :!:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:At present McCall stated last year at the URSC AGM that Paddy Wallace was the Humph replacement :? if this is the case we should be seeing more of Paddy in the 10 shirt and Humph starting to sit on the pine :shock: It could be very frustrating to watch :!:
That may well be the intention, but the fact is when DH is unavailable, we cannot always risk playing Wallace. Larkin is the safety net.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Agree with what you say BR but looking ahead to the title of this post it is a bit of a worry who else is going to be there if Humphs retires as expected and Larkin is put out to grass. There seems to be a big question over young Steenson if he either wants or is offered a contract :?
Could we possibly see Boss in the 10 shirt :?:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote: Could we possibly see Boss in the 10 shirt :?:
Not a chance!
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Bryn possibly into 10? Was the sub fly half when we won the European cup. Just an Idea, I don't think Wallace is up to it, certainly not at International level. The 2 youngsters in the 2nd row will get game time this year, but can't see any of the others on development deals get a look in bar Trimble, would like to see Decky get game time he is a good prospect.

Possible replacements for the players who may not get contracts:

Maggs - Telford
Bell - Trimble
Howe - McKenzie
Topping - ?
Larkin - Steenson or possibly if Ian Humphrey's shows well at Leicester we could get him out of last year of his deal.
Stewart - ?
Feather - Ferris
Moore - Decky
Magical O' Driscoll

Post by Magical O' Driscoll »

Maggs and Feather have only been playing for one season and they getting replaced already.
Insider
Novice

Post by Insider »

They aint getting any younger MO'D!
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired you quit when the gorilla is tired.
-Robert Strauss
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Maggs is nearly 32 (I think) He was given a two year deal and with Steiner signed on for a few more years, I think Kev will retire. Trimble and Telford are both going to come into contention over the next few years, Trimble hopefully this year.

Feather is turning 30 this season and as far as I know his deal ends this season and with Ferris coming through at 8, which will definitly push Wilson and possibly lead Wilson to moving to 6 and with Hennesy also progressing well there is young players coming through. Also this super 12 back rower is still going to come.

But since when did and Irish province give youth a chance? In other country's yes but not here.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

cjp wrote:
But since when did and Irish province give youth a chance? In other country's yes but not here.
seems our youth has to go England to get a chance :shock: :?
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
David Craig
Novice

Post by David Craig »

Our problem is we want to give youth a chance but we complain about managment when things go wrong and we are not winning.

Chicken and egg come to mind.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

David - last year the management told us the young development players would be coming out of the shadows but as best as I can recall that didn't happen.

There has been more activity in the 2 friendlies this year with Trimble, Caldwell, young Fitzy and Head than all of last year. However this could be partly due to the fact that at the end of this year much experience will be leaving as stated by cjp. There is also the A Series of matches which will develop some of these players. However they will have to learn and quickly as many will be have little choice but to come through in time for next year.

As for management I would admit to blaming much of last year on them I am also prepared to put that behind me and start again with lower sights than I had this time last year. I will be behind the team but I would like to see a second place finish in the group stage and a top 6 finish in the CL but more of the same and we are in trouble.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU