Trimble debut?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Trimble debut?

Post by browner »

Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

would be good to get a look at the lad......and a few of these other youngsters - Hennessy, Ferris, Henry
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Trimble to be centre of Ulster's attention

By Gavin Mairs
16 August 2005

Ballymena's rising star Andrew Trimble will make his Ulster debut against London Irish at Ravenhill on Friday.

Ulster coach Mark McCall today opted to blood the Ireland Under-21 centre of huge potential in a midfield pairing with former All Black Paul Steinmetz for the pre-season friendly (kick-off 7.30pm).

"Andrew had a fantastic Under-21 World Cup, he has made great progress in the last 12 months and he deserves the chance to show us what he can do at the next level up," said McCall.

"He is a great athlete and is a great rugby player as well. He has trained very well over the summer and he knows what's going on with the squad.

"He just needs exposed and now is as good a time as any to give him an opportunity."

McCall has opted for a largely experimental side, significantly resting some of the players who were involved with Ireland's summer tour to Japan.

There is a welcome return for Ulster centurion Jimmy Topping, who missed all of last season after breaking a leg in a club game for Ballymena, on the right wing, while his club mate Bryan Young - after an impressive pre-season - is handed a rare opportunity to shine at loosehead.

All eyes however will be on new signing Justin Harrison, who starts in the second row alongside Matt McCullough.

"Justin has been here just over two weeks and has made a huge impact already on the squad," added McCall.

"Without even playing a match he is already everything we thought he would be and more.

"And I think he is looking forward to running out at Ravenhill as well."

McCall has delayed naming his bench, but it is understood both new signing Justin Fitzpatrick and Neil McMillan, who missed all of last season with a cruciate knee injury, will feature.

ULSTER: B Cunningham; J Topping, A Trimble, P Steinmetz, T Howe; P Wallace, K Campbell; B Young, P Shields, S Best, J Harrison, M McCullough, C Feather, N Best, R Wilson.

Replacements: TBC
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I would hardly call that selection "a largely experimental side". Despite Irish's run out against Quins last Friday, I would still expect Ulster to prevail.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Freddie Benson wrote:I would hardly call that selection "a largely experimental side".
It's a experiment to see if Jimmy and Tyrone can still last a game :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Looking forward to our first lineout. Shieldsy throwing to Harrison - just wait to you see the look on the Plank's face as the ball sails several feet over his head, or maybe hits him on the shin. :lol:
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I may sound like an idiot, but whats wrong with Tommy Bowe?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Tommy somehow managed to get a game or two in Japan so he needs the extra rest :roll: It's good that Trimble has a club team mate outside him on his debut and won't do any harm at all. Just hope Topper has one more good season in him at this level.
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

one new cap -experimental get real. Irish have already had an interesting 3x30minute game last week and if they come here and play will I feel be too strong for us. Good luck to Trimble think he needs the two older heads outside him for his first game.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Gaz wrote:Looking forward to our first lineout. Shieldsy throwing to Harrison - just wait to you see the look on the Plank's face as the ball sails several feet over his head, or maybe hits him on the shin. :lol:
I would say more like "Look at the state of Shieldsys face 15 seconds later" :D :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I have to agree it won't take Justin long to let shields know how he feels. Another way to look at it is that Shields has maybe already missed him in practice and is too scared to miss him now.

Irish to win.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cjp wrote: Another way to look at it is that Shields has maybe already missed him in practice and is too scared to miss him now.
He must be throwing well as he is still alive and on team :lol:
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

On the bench...............................

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/11_2764.php
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

excellent news to see McMillan back.
Hopefully he can recapture the form over the next few months of the season prior to his injury.