Team v Rotherham

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Team v Rotherham

Post by cjp »

15 - Bryn Cunningham; 14 - James Topping; 13 - Jonathan Bell; 12 - Paul Steinmetz; 11 - Scott Young; 10 - Paddy Wallace; 9 - Reece Spee; 1 - Bryan Young; 2 – Rory Best ;3 – Declan Fitzpatrick; 4 – Ryan Caldwell; 5 – Justin Harrison; 6 – Neil Best; 7 – Neil McMillan; 8 – Campbell Feather (Captain)

Interesting selection as expected no Irish lads in there, good to see Caldy and Decky start. JB at outside centre should be interesting. The replacements could also be interesting to see if more youngsters get a chance and who will be replacement scrum half.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Would have liked to see Henry Head get a longer run this week by being in the starting 15. Will be interesting to see who is on the bench as cover for Spee. Good to see Feather with the captain's armband. He did well for us last year while Andy was out.

Guess we'll see Andress and Frost and Brady on the bench - who else?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Ferris, Hennesy, Howe, Fitzy possibly? Trimble?

Starting to get a bit short, Shane Stewart?
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

pwrmoore wrote:
Guess we'll see Andress and Frost and Brady on the bench - who else?
Stewart, hopefully Hennessy, Ferris, Trimble. Maxwell? still injured?

Good to see McMillan starting and Caldwell.
I don't know where all this raving about Head has come from compared to 1 or 2 others of the replacements last Friday.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I'm not raving about head yet FB - I just want to get a decent look at him. Same could easily be said for Henessey and Ferris from my point of view.

What's up with Justin F - is he still injured?
Paul.

Mid-Terrace
Novice

Post by Mid-Terrace »

I like the look of the back row, should work well. Hope NMcM shows more of what he did on Friday, his 2 tackles on Friday were worthy of note amongst a lot of mediocre stuff from others?
Mine's a pint!
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Jonny Bell ............................... :shock: He is best on the wing where he does not have to run into contact. No Shane Stewart ... one of the few able to break the gain line even if he cannot pass when he does so.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Thanks to Eddie for this great chance to sort out a team for our first competitive match :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Look on the brightside ... it gets Mark McCall off the hook.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Mid-Terrace
Novice

Post by Mid-Terrace »

Rooster wrote:Thanks to Eddie for this great chance to sort out a team for our first competitive match :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
We better get used to it, if last years ballixing about hasn't done that for us already??
Mine's a pint!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Why Johnny Bell???????????????????
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Jackie - I would agree with you he is an experienced centre and McCall will not learn anything from playing him much preferred to have seen Trimble again. I don't think another start would have done any harm.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I guess he wants to give JB a bit of game time after being out of circulation for so long. Agree that it would have been good to give Trimble another run though.
Paul.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Perhaps Trimble will play second half from bench :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Put Trimble on from the start and give him game time it'll not have done the lad any harm. Then if need be if Trimble hasn't proved his point play Bell against cardiff or whoever at least McCall knows what he is getting.

I wonder do Ulster really sit down and think out what plan is best for them getting into the season or do they just arrange any 2 freindlies at home in the hope that they can make some money. Is it the preparation or the money that is the most important. Just a thought.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU