Exploitation

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

pwrmoore wrote:Bayerischen Rundfunks :? :shock: :? :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: It wasn't - but I think it will be from now on!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cables wrote:Good, so we are agreed that the Search facility is a useful tool on occasions.

I agree that the way the MB works disadvantages those who chose a username that cannot be detected by Author search (currently you). You appear to accept that disadvantage to yourself.
Well as I have only become aware of this disadvantage since you pointed it - I'm not that bothered, maybe I'll re-register sometime.
why do you feel that we are not disadvantaged by being unable to find your posts by use of the same facilities provided?
I do not feel that! Why do you think I am advantaged?
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

i have done a little investigation into this for anyone interested cables; this is a deliberate change. The search no longer allows character strings less than 3 characters and a 2 character name is less than 3! Therefore when searching for posts by someone with a 2 character name this string is disallowed and you get nothing back. I do not know of a solution, neither have I found a workaround! so thats that! I don't feel the need to delve into the php code to affect a change, as I'm not so sure that there was willful intent in br choosing his username to reflect this, nor any of those people with 3 character usernames.

However now that it has been pointed out to one and all, will anyone reading this please refrain from using usernames of 3 characters or less, unless you have already done so and this last statement is redundant. :?
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

BR
You are advantaged by being able to search for us by Author search which we cannot do for your name.

Take the last step. You have already suggested that if you become bothered about your disadvantage you would maybe re-register.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Fermain. Never really thought you would delve into the pHp code and I do not blame you.

The Author search facility works fine for 3 character usernames so I am slightly puzzled by - "refrain from using usernames of 3 characters or less".

I am confident that your search for a workaround would have included registering only those with 3 or more character usernames but I mention it just in case.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cables wrote:BR
You are advantaged by being able to search for us by Author search which we cannot do for your name.

Take the last step. You have already suggested that if you become bothered about your disadvantage you would maybe re-register.
So you are disadvantaged by not being able to search for BR posts. I am disadvantaged by not being able to search for BR posts. But for some reason, you consider that advantages me. I'm still trying to think of a practical application where that is the case.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Apart from the fact that it is a practical application we have been discussing today, this may help.

It is a bit like having caller ID such that you can see details of those calling but doing a 141 before making a call so that those you are calling can’t see your details. You have the advantage in that situation also.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

both situations imply a wilfulness on the part of the poster/caller! I think that the reasons you mentioned cables are accurate but I wouldn't accuse people of any wrongdoing unless I had ample proof of intent., and if they didn't intend to do it, then they have no advantage.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cables wrote:Apart from the fact that it is a practical application we have been discussing today, this may help.

It is a bit like having caller ID such that you can see details of those calling but doing a 141 before making a call so that those you are calling can’t see your details. You have the advantage in that situation also.
That's another analogy. Give me a practical application of the search facility, where I gain an advantage for it not returning my posts.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

fermain wrote:both situations imply a wilfulness on the part of the poster/caller! I think that the reasons you mentioned cables are accurate but I wouldn't accuse people of any wrongdoing unless I had ample proof of intent., and if they didn't intend to do it, then they have no advantage.
I think you can have an advantage without intending to, but I just can't see too many advantages for me n this case - all I see are disadvantages for me and everyone else
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Yes BR, there are disadvantages for you and everyone else. There are also solutions. Eg.B.R or B.R. These would keep you and I and fermain happy, hopefully.

I prefer to look at it from the other side of the same coin. If someone or a group are disadvantaged in some way, this is normally comparative to another/others in that given situation and you cannot have disadvantage without advantage. I can agree that one “can have an advantage without intending to”. Perhaps Rugby (the basic reason why you and I are here) has dealt UR some disadvantage for a few years – “pool of death”. That seems to imply that some others were advantaged, although it was not they who created the situation.

I had hoped you would like my analogy and come back and ask “where am I disadvantaged by that analogy?” The answer I had was to say that you would not receive any calls by way of the 1471(3) facility!

You ask for a practical application of the search facility where you gain advantage for it not returning your posts. Does my 2nd para of this post help? I would see it as a logical extension of your acceptance that others are disadvantaged by the search facility not returning your posts for them.

Acceptance of that does not remove the disadvantage to you of not being able to search for your own posts. There, perhaps the exception proves the rule as I cannot see any advantage to others in that.

Given that what we have is the status quo, may I recommend B.R or B.R.
Donald Ducked
Novice

Post by Donald Ducked »

This thread is a classic :lol:

fermain - save this one for posterity!
Quack Quack.... QUACK!!

From the Duck formerly known as Baldrick...
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cables wrote:I prefer to look at it from the other side of the same coin. If someone or a group are disadvantaged in some way, this is normally comparative to another/others in that given situation and you cannot have disadvantage without advantage.
I disagree with the above. For there to be an automatic advantage associated with someone else's disadvantage, the two parties need to be in competition. Are we in competition? Perhaps that is the heart of our misunderstanding here - I don't feel I am in competition with you - the reason we are both here is because we share a mutual support for a rugby team (were you a troll, then maybe I could be in 'competition' with you).

Do you feel that you are in competition with me?

You ask for a practical application of the search facility where you gain advantage for it not returning your posts. Does my 2nd para of this post help? I would see it as a logical extension of your acceptance that others are disadvantaged by the search facility not returning your posts for them.

Acceptance of that does not remove the disadvantage to you of not being able to search for your own posts. There, perhaps the exception proves the rule as I cannot see any advantage to others in that.
So can I take it from the above that you can think of no practical advantage for me in my posts being unsearchable either?
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

BR
Firstly can I report that my suggested solutions (B.R or B.R.) will not be detected through the search facility either! This was somewhat of a setback to my workaround plan where I would refer to you as BR. and I would then search for BR. and you would be somewhere nearby.

I was sitting in a room today with an old lady. She is disadvantaged by hearing loss. I see her every day and I oft reflect on the advantage of good hearing. As I was sitting there around lunchtime I asked myself, “Where would BR see the competition in this?”

She switched on the TV and, role reversal, I became the disadvantaged one. I then realised that you would see the competition as being for the remote control!

I would not compete with her for that and I do not feel that I am in competition with you. Interesting that you bring competition into our discussion however. I read somewhere once – “Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.” I am not out to get you either.

When I read something, I find it difficult to move on when I encounter a word that I do not understand and the context does not assist to confirm. Up comes the word “troll”. Stop. Think. Read sentence. Context help? Only a distant memory of reading storybooks to my (then) young kids. As I recall it, an ugly troll was blocking passage across a bridge. Reflect, “If I was a troll, BR may be in competition with me?” “Did BR want to be a more ugly troll than me? – surely not!” Thinks - “more research is required”.

Troll (CREATURE) – an imaginary (I’m not imaginary!), either very large or very small (no) creature in traditional Scandinavian stories, that has magical (that’s wee Jordan!) powers (don’t like it, prefer scotch!) and lives in mountains or caves (nearest high ground to me to me is Cave Hill but it does have caves). Just confirmed what I recalled really.

Troll (FISH) – to try to catch fish by pulling a baited line through the water behind a boat (if it’s not around 8,000 tonnes, you’ll not find me on it!). No, it’s not that.

Troll (SEARCH) – to search among a large number or a great variety of places in order to find people or information you want. They are trolling the Internet for new customers. “Getting warmer perhaps.” “But, why may BR want to compete with me in that?” I asked myself. “And anyway, I am not looking for customers.” Still no further on really.

Troll (COMPUTING) (“Must be this one, it’s the last one!)
Verb – to leave an intentionally annoying message on a part of the Internet in order to get attention or cause trouble. His hobby is trolling for newbies. (did send individual welcome messages to a few newbies on the URSC site but nothing annoying, I trust, and it is not my hobby. Don’t recall sending one for some time!). Still not really there.

Noun – A well-constructed (with my body and gob?) troll will provoke irate or confused responses from flamers (is BR a pyromaniac?) and newbies (everyone’s a newbie here (to the tune of ....... ), including me). “I am still confused.” “BR has got me confused - does that make BR a troll?” “Mustn’t get irate as well!” Might be very close but more research is required. I must troll the Internet.

“Goodness, there are some bad, bad people around.” If I told you about what they get up to, you would be listening for days.

So, BR may feel that I am a troll. Some questions remain however. Which type of troll does BR think I am? Does BR see “me” troll as a competitor or is BR a troll hunter type of competitor or even a poacher and occasional gamekeeper? Will BR join our community with a searchable username? After all that, have I wasted my time?
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Now i am going to save this thread, It really is too good :lol: