New Celtic League Points System

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

New Celtic League Points System

Post by colinh »

Celtic Rugby has announced that it is adopting an innovative points system in the Celtic League for the 2005/06 season.
Designed to address the imbalance in the league table caused by having an uneven number of teams in the competition, the scheme awards 4 league points to the side having a weekend free from scheduled fixtures. Each team will have two free weekends during the season which, when taken, will be recorded in an extra column in the league table denoted as ‘FW’ and added into the total number of games played for the relevant side.
This will mean that for the first time since the league was reduced to eleven teams there will be a truer reflection of actual league placings, especially on the run in to the end of the season.

Tournament director David Jordan stated: “Celtic Rugby has been concerned with the lopsided nature of an 11 team league table. We took a look at the way other major sporting leagues throughout the world with an uneven number of competitors operated and discovered that the Australian Rugby League cured their similar problem with the introduction of 2 points for a bye week. After much deliberation we decided this was the correct route to adopt for the Celtic League for the forthcoming season.”

I know I am growing a bit old a senile maybe a bit prematurely thanks to my sampling of the vine but can anyome make heard or tail of it and what's the point of it?

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Mid-Terrace
Novice

Post by Mid-Terrace »

Apparently the Celtic League management are modelling themselves on the IRFU - seems like they are doing a good job?
Mine's a pint!
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

Colin

try reading through it again after your Friday night constitutional: perhaps then it will make sense :D
Skyhawk
Novice

Post by Skyhawk »

What about looking at games played under "P"

What a stupid idea "earning" points by not playing

At least Leinster are guaranteed 4 points :P
Mid-Terrace
Novice

Post by Mid-Terrace »

Skyhawk wrote:What a stupid idea "earning" points by not playing
Wouldn't Ulster be sitting on 8 points just now if this were the case, though??
Mine's a pint!
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

But what is the point, forgive me but anyone with half a braincell can look at the games played and work out that teams have games in hand.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

True Colin but it will take away any excuse we might have had for not being near the top of the table all season.

Don't you think that without this we could potentially have the UR management saying ......

" yes we are 8th in the table at the moment, but you must remember we've played fewer games that munster and the ospreys and when we win our game in hand we'll be up to 2nd........"
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: