Off Topic ... not so sure

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Off Topic ... not so sure

Post by Cockatrice »

The original post referred to an article in the BT entitled ‘The Hunger Strike Sports Shirts Spark Fury’ which in turn led to a debate on the merits of the venture and the links between those parties involved in it.

The last post, which has now brought closure on the basis of having gone off topic was factually based information directly linked to the subject matter of the original post. It may be too political for some but surely not off topic i.e. linking the Hunger Strikers to the Hunger Strike.

I suspect that many of those that vote on the various stadium polls or contribute towards the various threads are unaware that the building of the stadium is directly linked to guarantees having been given relating to a museum.

I fear in this case this is censorship gone wrong and that my post is directly related to the subject matter. Political yes but not the reason for closure. Is this Iran.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
The Fonz
Novice

Post by The Fonz »

This is not Iran :D and yes the reason stated on further reflection is incorrect as you state, but I am taking the view on that thread that it is heading in the wrong direction, down political routes, and that is the main reason for it's closure. It is a part of NI history that in my eyes should be buried in the history books and not brought up in sports forums such as this.
Subject closed and would appreciate it if we all moved on 8)
Keep Cool 8)
Shafted

Post by Shafted »

here here fonz!!!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Unfortunately for all of us it is the Government that has made a political football of the National Stadium by siting it at the Maze and linking its directly with other than sporting matters.

As such it is only to be expected that when this subject is approached again that it may from time to time touch on the political links involved in this matter.

I have long since been an advocate of being against the Maze and for the most part I have kept away from the politics however I reserve the right to raise them in the future when appropriate.

If worried that this was heading down the political avenue then examine the inital post and close it at source. Otherwise don't expect a discussion on a subject not to make reference to the people at the centre of the said subject.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Personally, I think a website like Slugger O'Toole is a more appropriate site than this one for a discussion on this type of issue , and this particular subject has been debated at length here and here.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

mikerob wrote:...and this particular subject has been debated at length here and here.
here here indeed! CT... i agree with the fonz... not for here me old soak :shock:
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

here here indeed! CT... i agree with the fonz... not for here me old soak
Can't agree with that Jamesie.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

It is a part of NI history that in my eyes should be buried in the history books and not brought up in sports forums such as this
Yes but wasn't the debate moving on to how Norn Iron's history has been interwoven with a sports venue to which Ulster Rugby have pledged to play some games at. Can't see how you can turn a blind eye to the Maze as a sports venue given it's past history and the wish for that history to be commemorated by a museum beside which will sit the shiny new sports stadium at which rugby will be played.

Perhaps it's an unpalatable truth for some but that should not stifle debate.
The Fonz
Novice

Post by The Fonz »

Ballpark, what you say is correct in as far as it is linked to the Maze etc. but this topic has been covered on numerous threads before and just goes around in the same circle, a lot of posters are begining to get fed up with it at this stage and I think everyone on this board already knows everyone elses views on it by now.

8)
Keep Cool 8)
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

There are many topics on these boards that have been covered time and time again including this one. Are we now saying that we can't discuss a subject such as the Maze/National stadium anymore because a lot of posters are getting fed up with it.

If the case then there are many other threads elsewhere on the board that I am fed up with but clearly I do not have the same clout to get them stopped even if I had wanted.

From reading the original thread I seen no evidence that contributers were fed up nor that any one has made a complaint. Those not interested can simply keep clear and post on other matters of their choosing. It is a fact that the thread was stopped originally for going off topic something that was later accepted wasn't the case so I might suggest that it was closed simply because one person had enough of it as was the suggestion in the latter part of Bp's last post.

BP- on that were the views expressed in the red part of your last post your own.
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

To answer your question CT no i emphatically did not add red capital letters to my post. This was done by someone with access to the posts. It is definitely off limits for mods to do this and an apology should be made by the person responsible. I'm slightly uneasy about this site appears to run to be honest.

To answer another comment the thread had a reasonable debate. I made a point in response to comments that O'Neills might get involved in UR kit supply. Some posters where uneasy about this given their (O'Neill's) involvement in the supply of the T-Shirt which was the subject of the topic. I made the point that UR where already involved in the Maze and it's associations with the same subject commemorated on the T-shirt. How that is off topic I don't know or why it deserves red capital letters slapped all over the feckin' thing.

Frankly I took the time to make a reasonable and well constructed post and don't want some feckin' wannabe strafing it with gratitious remarks to which they fail to put their name to or identify themselves.

The thread was edited as is common practise on this type of MB by myself Dubber. It was moved as it was too serious for the Back Room Lock In. I do apologise for not identifying myself at the time but it was an oversight on my behalf. I have also deleted the reference to a Nazi Leader which I was compared with as this MB is not the place for any sort of comparison.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BP- I am extremely concerned by what you have to say and I think that other posters should take note.

When I read your post I was surprised at the red comments contained within your post. Initially I wondered why you had made them but now we learn that they were made by a 3rd party that accessed your post

This is IMHO way outside of any remit of the mods and requires at the very least a full explanation from those responsible.

One reads other posters comments not expecting that they have been amended by 3rd parties in particular those vested with monitoring the site and acting as mods.

To a degree this brings into question other issues such as whether pm's between posters are also read by the mods.
Dewi Barnes
Squire

Post by Dewi Barnes »

This is a private forum run by guys in their spare time.

If you don't like it don't use it.

If you want to submit unedited opinions set up your own forum and do it under your own names. Or maybe you should contact the media and organise your protest and state your views live on TV - you might want to see banditt about this!
A vote for Kimble is a vote for progress!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

DB- are you saying it is OK for mods on sites to enter into other peoples postings and to include paragraphs of their own views.

I have no problem with removing swear words etc but do you really think it is OK for someone to enter your post and put comments that you don't agree with under your name.
Dewi Barnes
Squire

Post by Dewi Barnes »

I think it was obvious that the comments were not from BP.

It's their site and they can pretty much do as they like.

I'm just grateful that they have given me the opportunity to make so many friends online!
A vote for Kimble is a vote for progress!