City of Belfast Stadium

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

City of Belfast Stadium

Post by Cockatrice »

Tonight's BT reveals that the consortium in charge of the stadium plans for Ormeau Park has submitted its bid to the BCC Community & Recreation Committee.

The plans will be considered along with others and on August 21 they will reveal the name of the preferred bid.

On the face of it this to me appears to be the best bid including that at the Maze although I have reservations about the dog track.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
baldeagle09
Initiate

Post by baldeagle09 »

Maybe its just me, but I can't really see the point in spending £5 million in re-developing Ravenhill and building a new stadium half a mile away in Ormeau Park
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

baldeagle09 wrote:Maybe its just me, but I can't really see the point in spending £5 million in re-developing Ravenhill and building a new stadium half a mile away in Ormeau Park
The new stadium in Belfast may never go ahead...or if it does, who knows how long it will take or whether it is good business for UR to use it.

Personally, I think it makes sense for UR to proceed with the Ravenhill redevelopment as that is largely under their own control. The alternative is to wait and see what happens with CoBS and The Maze and whatever - and that could take years with nothing happening at the end.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

I'll second that.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

baldeagle09 wrote:Maybe its just me, but I can't really see the point in spending £5 million in re-developing Ravenhill and building a new stadium half a mile away in Ormeau Park
1) Because Ravenhill is not only used for Ulster professional rugby team games it is used for a host of other Ulster Branch organised cup competitions etc - it is unlikely that a 25K City of Belfast Stadium would always be available or appropriate for these

2) because a bigger stadium will cost more to operate and smaller UR Professional games might make a bigger profit in a smaller venue.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

mikerob wrote:Personally, I think it makes sense for UR to proceed with the Ravenhill redevelopment as that is largely under their own control
er, i think the planners have the control in what goes and what doesn't mikeovich :roll: (fierce those feckers) :evil: not too mention the reverend's flock that live around the ground :oman:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

It would appear that the building of new office space is currently getting the go ahead despite the fact that there where no plans of it in those presented to fans via the news a while back.

Rumours are that planning delays will hold up the new re-development thatbkfully that isn't the case so far.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

I tend to agree - the only way it would make sense is if UR are pretty damned sure that the re-development will enhance revenues by more than the spend in the meantime.. so here's hoping they've done their sums right..
Shafted

Post by Shafted »

YoungMan wrote:....anyway is it true your returning home to Norn Iron as you cant stand Londoninum :wink:
ah feck, say it ain't so!!!
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

now whilst if the Ormo gets the go ahead from the City Fathers it may take some time to get the Planning Permission etc

And the are some works must be done at Ravers even if they play matches at the MO ( it is used for other Club and school matches where crowds would not exceed 7500)

The stand is crap- the capactity will fall (11500) -and Ravers has a lot of terrace

But it may be the reason behind the St A end plans being on a long finger

And whilst the Rev is vocal on Sunday matches it is not the proplem the proplem is the two Churchs Mount Merrion and the lack of Parking

whereas if Ormo gets the nod you can park in the city centre and walk across the footbridges proposed

One must also recognise that Sundays at this venue could also receive objections as there are a few Churches close by
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BB_ Personally I hope that Ormeau does get the green light albeit I am not sure about a dogtrack around any pitch for close in crowd appeal.

I think a balance could be found between the two I accept the benefit of keeping Ravenhill for a HQ (note new offices) and for finals etc and matches with less capacity.

I am sure that a neat little stadium could come from any revamping at a reasonable sum. Pity that the site is worthless then we could maybe have done a Lisnagarvey on a much grander scale.

The St A end will never see light of day and the corporate boxes will suffer (not that they are a run away success) from the new boxes along the terrace side.

Ormeau was apparently considered way back when they were thinking they could manage a Commonwealth games I understand and still think it could work out best option.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

The last thing you want around a rugby playing area is a dogtrack.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Colin - that is my fear about it, sort of Connaght on a larger scale just don't think it would work well particularly at either end.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Ulster says no to a dog track!
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

lol agreed.
Romeo47 Alpha 52