Ulster Rugby Residents Association

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mole
Novice

Ulster Rugby Residents Association

Post by Mole »

Copy of the first Newletter that was distributed to all houses surrounding Ravenhill.......

Any comments?

Hello and welcome………

to the first edition of the Ulster Rugby Residents Association (URRA) Newsletter. This Newsletter is aimed at keeping you informed on what is happening in the campaign to represent concerns of the residents living in the locality of Ravenhill rugby ground about the stadium development proposals.

A meeting was held on 31st October 2005, attended by 150 residents and representatives of the Ulster Branch of the IRFU, at which the concern, frustration and even anger among residents at the proposed development of Ravenhill was expressed. What was clear that evening was the total lack of understanding by the Ulster Branch representatives of the residents’ views and concerns.

The Ulster Branch undertook to have follow-up meetings with residents and “take whatever steps where necessary to improve relations with people in the area”. Eight months later and no such meetings have been convened and no approaches made by the Ulster Branch to the residents. This only reinforces the view of many that they do not regard the views of residents as important. Following another meeting of residents on 11th May 2006 the URRA committee was formed.

The URRA includes among its members and supporters dedicated fans of Ulster Rugby (even season ticket holders) and people with no interest in rugby; people with young families and those in retirement; people from all shades of political and social backgrounds. All have one thing in common – a deep concern that the Ravenhill development will have a very negative impact on their homes, families and lives. The aim of URRA is therefore:

“To take all necessary steps, on behalf of residents living in the locality of the Ravenhill rugby stadium, to minimise the possible damage that the proposed stadium development by the Ulster Branch of the IRFU may bring to the area in which we live, but also maximise the benefits to our community of this development, should it be approved”

The committee has identified the main areas of frustration and concern of the residents in the locality of Ravenhill. Added to these is the unhelpful attitude that the management of Ulster Rugby has taken to the residents who literally have to live in the shadow of the Ravenhill and whose quality of life continues to be regularly compromised. In the view of many this will only be intensified during the planned construction of the new stadium and a new era of rugby’s increased popularity.

The residents’ concerns are…….
– The lack of any meaningful consultation on the proposals and established dialogue between the Ulster Branch and Residents;
– Growing match day usage at Ravenhill;
– Increasing day to day usage at Ravenhill;
– New plans for entertainment and corporate facilities at Ravenhill;
– Match day parking and obstructions
– Match day congestion and restrictions
– Litter/damage to property/lack of stewarding
– Disturbance during construction and redevelopment of the Ravenhill site

We would stress that as a committee we are not against rugby. Many of our members are keen supporters of the Ulster Rugby team. But as residents we know that it is important to live neighbourly with each other. Unfortunately we feel that the Ulster Branch of the IRFU do not understand this and fail as good neighbours.

What’s next?

We are now collecting information about the Ulster Branch proposals, and seeking advice from Planning, Road Service and the Police on the current and future traffic situation. We will insist that a full analysis of the traffic around Ravenhill is carried out prior to any decision on the planning approval. We have written to the sponsors of Ulster Rugby and the Supporters Club to make them aware of our concerns and how the Ulster Branch has largely ignored residents.

We plan over the summer to meet with the PSNI and other bodies to seek support and advice. We hope soon also to meet with the Ulster Branch to begin tackling them directly on our concerns. We will then organise another meeting for all residents in September (at a time and venue yet to be decided) at which we can report on progress made.

We are very pleased to acknowledge the support we have already received from our local Westminster MPs, Peter Robinson and Dr Alasdair McDonnell. We are particularly grateful to Dr McDonnell for assisting us with the preparation of this Newletter.

Of course the most important thing is that we do all we can to best represent the views of residents in the area around Ravenhill Rugby ground about the development proposals. We would be glad to hear from you. You will find below a list of Committee members and their telephone numbers if you wish to contact us.

Committee Contacts:

Thank you for your support.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Perhaps someone could verify if this is genuine or a spoof :? Anyone out there who as received this communication :?:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Don't know the facts as yet but presumably the group represents both residents on the Cregagh side as well as the Onslow/Ravenhill side. It would interesting to see how many residents they represent and learn more.

I for one understand some of the frustration felt by residents and with some supporters amongst the group including season ticket holders we will have persons on the inside.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

Interesting responses..........

The Cregagh area already has a committee that has in the past had conversations with Ulster Rugby (UR) concerning the use of the Cregagh estate as a car park. They have successful ensured that they are not troubled on match nights. The URRA has contacts with the Cregagh Residents Association and have had conversations with and taken advice from them.

With regard to the slightly snipey comment regarding Dr Alasdair McDonnell........... note that the committee members and residents don't ask about religion, political affiliation what sports people play or support or indeed what school people went to. YoungMan does not quote fully the Newsletter……. It should read…….

We are very pleased to acknowledge the support we have already received from our local Westminster MPs, Peter Robinson and Dr Alasdair McDonnell. We are particularly grateful to Dr McDonnell for assisting us with the preparation of this Newsletter. (i.e. his office printed for free the 1,000 Newsletters with no input or editorial comment or control).

So let’s knock that sort of nonsense on the head………..

Also be assured that card carrying members of Ulster Rugby are fully engaged in the URRA to represent one end of the wide range of opinion of its membership……..

For goodness sake – why do you think my name is MOLE………………………

The contact details are missing because use of this chat facility forbids the making or giving contact numbers without the expressed permission of the persons concerned.

The MOLE will however pass on any comments that are passed to him through this chat room……

Finally……….I’m ready for the new season……COME ON ULSTER……………..
I'm a mole and I live in a hole..............
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

YoungMan wrote:
Dr Alasdair McDonnell. We are particularly grateful to Dr McDonnell for assisting us with the preparation of this Newsletter.
Call me cynical if you want but is this the same as in Dr Alasdair McDonnell with the High profile GAA connections................and i not Committee details are absent!!
you're cynical.
denis donaldson
Novice

Post by denis donaldson »

Be careful Mole in case they find you out :wink:
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

YoungMan.......................

Touted the tickets?.......... what tickets........ not one offered or received....

Good idea though....... free season tickets for Ulster Rugby...... any chance do you think?

Residents were actually more contented concerning the running of the concert than some of the rugby matches. Meeting with residents before the concert to see if there were any concerns and what the organiser could do about it. Stewards outside the ground to control crowds and tidy up afterwards. Traffic diverted on the day and residents traffic only in Onslow, Ravenhill Park and roads off. Finished at a reasonable time........

Could UR not learn from it?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Must say I have always been very cynical of residents associations etc, accept the problem if you are living in a house and someone builds a new stadium etc beside you which will disrupt your way of life, but have absolutely no time for anyone who buys a house beside something like this and then complains about problems which should have been thought about before they moved in. In my eyes it's similar to buying a house in the countryside and then not likeing the smells and noises that go along with country life, I know a farmer in England who had an injunction served on him to prevent his cows from roaring between certain hours :roll:

To make it simple;
1. Anyone who has been there for years, pre 2 men and a dog era, has a bit of a gripe
2. Anyone who moved in since professional era, sling yer hook you knew what happens in Ravenhill at weekends and if you didn't get your eyes tested cos those floodlight pylons are pretty big.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Ravenhill has been there longer than the residents have been. So maybe Ulster Rugby should be complaining about moany residents rather than the other way round.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Rooster wrote:Must say I have always been very cynical of residents associations etc, accept the problem if you are living in a house and someone builds a new stadium etc beside you which will disrupt your way of life, but have absolutely no time for anyone who buys a house beside something like this and then complains about problems which should have been thought about before they moved in. In my eyes it's similar to buying a house in the countryside and then not likeing the smells and noises that go along with country life, I know a farmer in England who had an injunction served on him to prevent his cows from roaring between certain hours :roll:

To make it simple;
1. Anyone who has been there for years, pre 2 men and a dog era, has a bit of a gripe
2. Anyone who moved in since professional era, sling yer hook you knew what happens in Ravenhill at weekends and if you didn't get your eyes tested cos those floodlight pylons are pretty big.
I guess a rather substantial number of the residents pre-date the professional/CL era rooster, and there is the problem. When they moved in Ravers was used for a few inter-pros the odd mid-week touring international side plus the Schools and Club cup competition semis & finals. Probably only 2 or three of those games attracted a big crowd in any one year. Now they have an average 9,000 crowd once every 2 weeks during the season.

Your attitude to the recent residents is understandable but I would doubt that they make up any more than 10% of the people affected (wet finger technique employed). All of us who love our rugby at ravenhill and want to see it continue would be well advised to tread carefully around the residents issue and encourage reasonable dialogue and sensible debate to ensure that we can continue to watch Ulster at its spiritual home for as long as possible.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I could have some sympathy for residents if matches were being played mid week and kids were in their beds etc

But weekend games are disturbing few

Parking is a matter for police and not UR and UR do advertise Park and Ride

come redevelopment the capacity will be reduced so no gripe there should meet with universal appoval of the residents I would have thought

can see the concern with duration of the redevelopment

I wouldn't fancy lorries going up and down the roads for years

But I would expect most of the Redevelopment works to take place during the Summer and not the season ( except when the Stand comes to be replaced)

Hospitality and entertainment ( excluding concerts ) I've never seen drunks inside Ravenhill and the Bar facilities are mean for so many poeple your lucky if you get a drink in the time your in the ground
so drunkenness should be few and far between

Litter could be minimised by increasing the exits on to Mount Merrion
and closing Ravenhill Park Gates i.e the litter would be confined to Mount Merrion and could be cleared relatively quickly with Council co-operation

This ploy would also discourage those who park in Ravenhill Park etc

like most resident groups it sounds like a bunch of self elected egos winding up the ignorant ( I don't mean stupid ) but the unthinking

most of the concerns could be resolved but its never possible to please everyone and thats what those who initiate Residents groups realise thus creating a perpetual vehicle to exercise the ego of the uncompromising
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

i think the URRA wud get on well with another crowd of "moaners" that we have here in Holywood - the Kinnegar Residents Association who appear to have a slight dislike of planes. Well blow me over - u buy a house under a flight path so whot do u expect - gliders??? Like so many Residents Associatons they seem to exist mainly to dream up things to be "offended" by.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

Oy.......... Bogboy..........

No need to get personal.......

like most resident groups it sounds like a bunch of self elected egos winding up the ignorant ( I don't mean stupid ) but the unthinking.....

Wait untill you get a parking fine slapped on your car for parking outside your own house, or you can't get home on a Friday evening, or find a pile of half eaten chip wraps in your front garden, or get told (or not as the case is) by UR that they intend to build a new stand cutting off the light and view from your home......

A bit of empathy would go a long way here............[/quote]
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Mole, I was at the said concert and there was more rubbish and noise that night than at any game also never noticed the stewards outside the ground directing traffic :? clearly remember driving down to Mt Merrion gate and letting passengers out before going and parking in my normal Friday night spot, which incidently does not block anyones house, access etc.
Incidently are there ever any half eaten chip wrappers in the garden after a non rugby night :?:
Rory Best
Mole
Novice

Post by Mole »

YoungMan.........

Oh yes....... car taxed and registered......... and fined.........

True story......

Resident in their front garden watching the fans arrive for a Friday night match...... quite enjoying the atmosphere..... along comes a very large car and parks where the cones are.......... out steps five of the finest fans well dressed and pulling on the mandatory large cigars..... resident politely warns them that they will get a parking fine if they stay there. Answer from fans..... well there are five of us and if we get a fine then it's cheap parking for the night....

Never mind that they are blocking the whole road if a fire engine or ambulance needs to pass......

Nuff said.........