Support your team!!!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ballpark
Warrior Chief

Support your team!!!

Post by ballpark »

Unwilling to post this on the darkside as I'm likely to fall foul of the blind patriotism, 'all ugly women are beautiful' brogade, however it makes sense.

Simply, whilst there's a lot of talk of going out and supporting Ulster by making a lot of noise at Ravers to fire and inspire the team, it is also imperative that the team produce a performance that fires and inspires the supporters. Many Ulster supporters come from a rugby background and know what they are watching on the pitch.

Firing and inspiring the supporters might actually include the coaches and players media outpourings before the game. Omit getting your excuses in early and bland outpourings such as training has gone well which is usually a coded note that training has been not good. (crap).

To rebuild the myth that is fortress Ravenhill will entail a joint effort by supporters team and management this season, not a, IMHO, a blind trek to the hallowed ground to roar your head off and come away feeling you've been cheated by the other side of the bargain not being kept.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

You are safe here BP ........... I sense a totally different sense of desire this season which hopefully can be translated into performances this season. Justin Harrison has lifted the squad as has the return of Fitzpatrick and more so McMillan. But then again I am the eternal optomist. Every game should be played like a home HEC game. I was very interested to see London Irish beat a much fancied Leeds side in Leeds. But you are right it is a 2 way process. The boys have to give us something to cheer about.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

I couldnt agree more.

As for optimistic colinh - the very fact that there were still high numbers attending last year right to the bitter end shows that you are not alone.
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

we should take lessons from our windsor park brethern... :shock: again i was amazed by the impassioned, unwavering and good natured support on display yesterday, even when the first half display was fairly one-dimensional.

there is a touch of the 'leinster syndrome' about ravenhill, and i don't think there is as much noise these days as say two or three years ago? :roll:

hopefully a good campaign will raise the rafters (especially in the heiny) :wink:
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

Entirely agree with the pair of you and as just said the fact that the spectator numbers remained high in spite of the performances early season is a testimony to the All weather qualities of the hardy Ulster fan.

As for optimism, i suppose every season begins that way whether your a player or fan you always think things are going to be a bit different this season. Proof of this particular pudding will be on the pitch performances.

BTW: Edinburgh looked good on Friday night with Matt Mustchin playing at 6 and everywhere on the pitch. In mitigation, the Scarlets were without key players, such as Peel but also seem to be missing Stephen Jones at outhalf, having not found an adequate replacement for him. Parallels with Ulster potentially when Humph goes. Downside of Edinburgh is that Scott Murray talks more than he plays and gets right up the referees nose.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

In agreement with all here, as jamesie says we could learn a thing or two from the Windsor Park crew :shock: The team needs a lift when things are going badly, what normally happens is people either keep quiet or worse hurl abuse at players and coaches. A replication of that cold wet day in Edinburgh is what is needed, they could hear us before they left the changing room and the noise continued right through the game. Sparky is dead so forget about him wakening up, the dj is the only other one out there who can get the crowd rocking so its time he ditched the coat pulled on a shirt and tried to bring a bit of life to the proceedings :D :red: :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Just on the Windsor theme again time and time again we are shown what it is truely like to offer vocal support for a poor football side. people may talk of the Ravenhill Roar but it is nothing compared to the singing and atmosphere at Windsor.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
rugbymunchkin
Initiate
Location: Between South Belfast and Larne... About ballyclare!

Post by rugbymunchkin »

I have to admit the Norn Iron matches are summat special! The drums beating and fans singing til they're hoarse at Windsor even through the drubbings over the past 4 years there are awesome. I cant compare it with ravenhill cause i aint been but I'd say it'll take a lot to beat windsor.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

that dude singing with the loudspeaker was quality!!! :dwarf: :red: :dwarf:

oh and this little jem from the crowd...

"away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little Lord jesus laid down his sweet head, the stars in the bright sky looked down where HEA-LY!!! HEA-LY!!! HEA-LY!!!"

munch, not acceptable you haven't been to ravenhill... i go the odd time and i live in londonistan!!! :shock: no excuses this season!
LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

Sorry guys - I dont do the football thing. Cant give credit there at all. To me there is a massive difference (gulf like) between a football fan and a rugby fan. Stating the obvious I know but given the performances of football fans over the years (here and abroad - if you know what I mean) the teams performances mean little when it comes to football. Most of the gulpins who go to watch their favourite 11 yobos couldnt even tell you their names (he waits with baited breath for the onslaught - TSP).

Whereas, for many years the faithful at Ravers have gone along, paid their whack, got right behind the team and guldered from the heart of their lungs. And remember, we didnt always win the European Cup. We have had poor seasons in the past before Mr Solomons came on board but we never lost the faith. Nor did we run feckin riot and beat the bejaysus out of this and that and him and her.

Sorry - please dont compare us to that lot.

CT touches on the Roar - and we have seen the impact of the ROAR. Tigers, Glaws and so on. YOU LOT DO MAKE A BLOODY IMPACT AND DONT YOU FORGET IT.

The White Knights need you - no matter what McCall and the others do - those guys on the field need you.

This year looks set to be better than last year. Lets keep the faith and let the lads know it. If we are behind them, they are half way there. Its up to Excuses McCall after that.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Totally agree BP. There are a few souls who always try to get the crowd cheering but they seem to be on a losing ticket until the boys on the pitch give us something to cheer about. Need a better performance from the crowd for the next home game....

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Le Paul you are correct in the bit about not wanting to start beating up everyone in sight, but the footy supporters will still cheer for their team even if they have lost the last 10 games and are 7 goals down with 2 minutes to go, thats what we lack :(
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jamesie wrote: "away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little Lord jesus laid down his sweet head, the stars in the bright sky looked down where HEA-LY!!! HEA-LY!!! HEA-LY!!!"
Pity he is not back this year to say hello to Justin :lol:
Rory Best
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

aw come on le paul, its 2005 fer feck sake... :shock: that footie v rugby tosh is so passé (did i spell that right mon ami) maybe you want to get back form the vineyards and see what passion was on display on saturday. like it or not we could learn a thing or to and it has all been good natured (so far*). most people universally agree that the new breed of NI fan done us proud.

and whats this 'gulpin' and 'yobbo' guff... wise up! i have lots of friends and family who are NI (and ulster) fans so don't gimme that condascending bullmerde.
LePaul wrote:Whereas, for many years the faithful at Ravers have gone along, paid their whack, got right behind the team and guldered from the heart of their lungs. And remember, we didnt always win the European Cup.
and that's le b0llocks as well... i remember going with me da in the inter-pro years and during the harry williams days and there wasn't enough fans to fill the BSE burger van.

i respect your opinions but i find it extremely condascending. anyway, i won't bother you anymore... i'll leave you to your camembert and bordeaux in peace.

à bientôt

* i'll eat mon chapeau if it kicks off on wednesday :roll:
LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

Rooster - I cant argue with you really as I havent been to Ravers much over the last 18 months. Prior to that, I would disagree as I feel that the faithful at Ravers never lost the faith at anytime and when we did get bate (havent lost the auld Ulster tongue yet) we kept our dignity. Maybe over the past 12 - 18 motnhs things have changed, expectations and so on I dont know, but we never dropped to the depths of themens.