Trimple and Marshall for Cardiff

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Trimple and Marshall for Cardiff

Post by pwrmoore »

From Today's Belfast Tele
Trimble and Marshall set for big stage

By Gavin Mairs

06 September 2005
Young guns Andrew Trimble and Paul Marshall looked to have played their way into the Ulster squad for Mark McCall's side's Celtic League opener against Cardiff on Friday.

The pair, both stars of the Under-21 side last season, have caught the eye with impressive displays in the pre-season friendlies.

Trimble improved on his debut against London Irish with a try-scoring display against Rotherham while Marshall fast-tracked himself into contention from nowhere with a sizzling second-half show against the South Yorkshire side.

With Waikato scrum-half Isaac Boss still to arrive in the province, Marshall looks to have nudged out Reece Spee as back up to Kieran Campbell.

McCall, who was set to name his line-up later today, faces a number of tight calls, and the biggest will be where to play 20-year-old Trimble.

The Ballymena star's two appearances have come at outside centre, however he had a spell on the left wing and McCall could exploit his pace out wide and opt for a more experienced midfield - particularly defensively - of Paul Steinmetz and Kevin Maggs.

David Humphreys has recovered from his calf injury but Bryn Cunningham has been ruled out with a shoulder injury which has prevented him from training since the Rotherham match. Paddy Wallace or possibly Tommy Bowe will fill the full-back berth.

Cardiff will still be without their British Lions trio Martyn Williams, Gethin Jenkins and Tom Shanklin and will be missing new signings Xavier Rush and March Schertbina, but Ulster will still have to face a team boasting 11 internationals, and McCall will be wary of a backlash.
Looks like Marshall may have received some recognition for that performance against Rotherham 8)
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Marshall was pulled by the senior squad from the u21 side. I reckon Trimble will start on the bench. But either PW or Tommy Bowe at fullback does not fill me with confidence. He played fullback at school and did not make the Ulster Schools team and looked uneasy under the high ball against munster last year but maybe that was due to poor calling for the ball or expectation that Bryn would be rushing in when he was not. But he would be a better choice at FB than Paddy. Maybe play PW on the wing and use his footballings skiils but not expose him as much.

No doubt we will find out in an hour or so.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I would go with Bowe at FB and play Trimble on the wing. Wallace has to play OH, either starting or off the pine - multiple performances have shown that he's not a solid FB.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Freddie Benson wrote:I would go with Bowe at FB and play Trimble on the wing. Wallace has to play OH, either starting or off the pine - multiple performances have shown that he's not a solid FB.
multiple performances have shown that he's not a solid OH
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Squad for Cardiff (from UR)

Ulster Forwards:

Simon Best, Bryan Young, Justin Fitzpatrick, Paul Shields, Rory Best, Justin Harrison, Matt McCullough, Rowan Frost, Neil McMillan, Campbell Feather, Roger Wilson, Neil Best

Ulster Backs:

Paul Marshall, Kieran Campbell, David Humphreys, Paddy Wallace, Jonny Bell, Kevin Maggs, Andrew Trimble, Paul Steinmetz, James Topping, Tommy Bowe

No Caldwell or Head in the middle row.
Absence of Howe and Maxwell suggests Wallace will be at FB with Bell or Topping joining Bowe on the wing.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

Freddie Benson wrote:multiple performances have shown that he's not a solid FB.
he's hardly set the world alight at 10 tho freddie :shock:
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Nor will he cost you a plethora of points with intercepted passes as Humps did last season and again showed the potential to do the same against Rotherham. But it is unfair to compare PW with Humps in attack and genaeral play as Humps is the man of immense skill and experience. PW has the skill but not yet the experience. Remember his try against Stade that won us the game 2003-04 season. Not unlike Hump's last season.

Romeo47 Alpha 52
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Was trying to read something into the order of the names as it looks like there is positional order rather than name order in the selection...

Simon Best, Bryan Young, Justin Fitzpatrick - Props - Nuff said
Paul Shields, Rory Best, - Hookers
Justin Harrison, Matt McCullough, Rowan Frost - locks
Neil McMillan, Campbell Feather, Roger Wilson, Neil Best - back row

all fairly straightforward so far,

Paul Marshall, Kieran Campbell - SH - simple enough

David Humphreys, Paddy Wallace - OH - still on course

then this jumble....

Jonny Bell, Kevin Maggs, Andrew Trimble, Paul Steinmetz, James Topping, Tommy Bowe

I reckon Bell is down as FB, he used to play there, Maggs Trimble and Steiner are in as centres and Topping and Bowe on the wing.

Possibly Bell and Bowe in reverse positions but either way it is not our ideal back-line.
Paul.

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Paul ... as usual your analytical mind guides us trough the mass of hysteria. ..... Thanks

Romeo47 Alpha 52
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Spotted this on the dark side as an alternative - but I always feel uncomfortable with PW at FB....

Paddy Wallace to start at full back with Tommy Bowe & Andrew Trimble on wings. Steiny & Maggs centres; Kieran Campbell & Humph complete the backs
this maybe makes more sense than my senile ramblings. Leaves JB on the bench as cover for most positions (Centre/wiing/FB. With the double switch of PW or Steiner to cover OH and JB to cover for the FB/Centre
Paul.

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Here is one from the snooze letter:

ULSTER (possible): Paddy Wallace; Tommy Bowe, Paul Steinmetz, Kevin Maggs, Andrew Trimble; David Humphreys, Kieran Campbell; Justin Fitzpatrick, Paul Shields, Simon Best, Justin Harrison, Matt McCullough, Neil McMillan, Neil Best, Roger Wilson.

Replacements: Rory Best, Declan Fitzpatrick, Rowan Frost, Campbell Feather; Paul Marshall, Jonny Be l l, Andrew Maxwell.

Although they seem to have include DFitzpatrick and Maxwell when they are not in the Ulster 22. Good call Richard.

Romeo47 Alpha 52
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Perhaps it's a ploy to confuse the Blues :?
Tommy is scary at fullback, he seems to prefer catching a ball that is either coming at him from the side or going away from him not the straight down high ball type, as for Paddy at full back that is scary as well :shock: If Tommy can manage to catch at fullback he could make a lot of ground though down the center of the pitch, in attack he would be like a spare winger :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

BR + Jamesie - I didn't comment on Wallace at OH, just that he has shown that he is not a FB. For the record, unfortunately the promise he showed when he arrived on the scene 4 or 5 years ago has not been consistently reflected in performances since then. The odd flash of brilliance that even put Humphs in the shade has not been enough to overcome the deficiencies. I still believe that he's been unfortunate with injury and inconsistent selection, but still he's an enigma. There are those in both schools here - that he should be Humphs replacement or that he should be on his bike.

Given the squad selected I believe the back line will be Campbell, Humphries, Bell, Steinmetz, Maggs, Topping, Bowe with Marshall, Wallace and Trimble on the pine.
The suggestion of Bell at FB and Bowe at 11 is certainly an option - but I don't know that Dinger is any more solid under the high ball than Bowe and at least Tommy offers a bit of pace.
My preference would be for Trimble at 14 with Jamesie on the bench (Topping that is :lol: 8) ).
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Dinger at 15 is not a pleasant thought. It must be a number of years since he played there and even then his appearances at 15 have been to say the least sporadic. I don't think it's a position you just turn up and play and he doen't have the pace to cope with it anymore. Wallace is a 'safer' option ( I use the term very loosely) :roll: But whoever is playing there he will see a lot of early ball that's for sure :shock:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

true ding - but there are no established FBs on the team sheet. I can't remember any perormances of Dinger at FB to gainsay your assessment, I just remember that he did have some game time there. I'd prefer to see Tommy on the wing and I guess that leaves PW for Full Back unless McCall chooses to be really radical and put Steiner there!!!

Paddy's spells at full-back have always seems to leave his confidence in tatters so I'd reckon we'd be best to keep him out of it - but needs must :?
Paul.