State of the Union...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ballpark
Warrior Chief

State of the Union...

Post by ballpark »

Two games into the Celtic League or one if you happen to be Ulster the state of the union teams, the IRFU that is, makes encouraging reading IMHO. If your Ulster and Munster that is.

Munster are I think going to be this season's top Irish team again.
Their demolition of an admittedly understrength Ospreys was executed with an admittedly understrength Munster pack and backline and it's clear Munster will once again be the team to beat when their big guns come back, O'Callaghan, O'connell and even ROG.

Ulster's pack will see them through some hard times I've no doubt but there is a worryingly lack of cutting edge in the backs which is being exacerbated by lack of cutting edge selections. Still they're in better health than last season and in with a shout of second best Irish Province if they continue along the route of cussed rugby displayed on Friday night.

Leinster look to be struggling although they still have O'Kelly and Corrigan to come back in the pack but main problem is once again at half back. Unless the returning BO'D and D'arcy lift things in the backs and they find a replacement for Holwell Leinster could well finish third best Irish Province.

Connaught are struggling due to the usual lack of resources. Fourth place finish.

Any views???
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

on the money bp
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I think we will able to make a fair judgement by the time we enter the HEC in October. Home matches against Edinburgh and Connacht should bring wins although the Gunners have started well and away matches against Leinster, Gwent & the Borders will possibly be the test.

There were positives and these can hopefully be built on to ensure that whatever is taken from winning in Cardiff isn't lost.

Munster should be the team to beat and having blooded so many 2nd XV players over the last year or so they should have strength in depth. As for finishing above Leinster time will tell but I would be interested to hear the aims for this year after what happened last.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

I suppose CT I was taking it on the evidence so far and would hope to regularily update this thread with possibly egg on my face as well but there are signs at least of us having got some things right on the pitch.

Leinster have had an outhalf problem since Spooner fell out with Williams although Holwell appeared to be part of the answer last year whilst at 9 they are in dire straits because presumbably they had to take Easterbunny on behalf of EO'S and the IRFU and any young scrum half has been denied a chance to develop there. Sad that one.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Leinster have had an outhalf problem since Spooner fell out with Williams although Holwell appeared to be part of the answer last year
Holwell was the consistently the best fly half in Ireland last year.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Munster are going to give us problems but with any luck Connacht will arise in the West and come in third after us or Munster :? It would be priceless to be in D4 HQ if Connacht pipped Leinster for 3rd spot at the last game :lol:
Like the bit in the short stories under Rugby Ireland where O'Rielly says IRFU website useless Munster don't even go to the official site and Ulster and Leinster :roll: are great sites :lol: He did not mention here :twisted:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

After the weekend both Munster and Leinster are looking good if you believe the press. Munster are definitely a force to be reckoned with while einster and us are probably about the same point in their progress but it is stil early days but I thought you might like to from Lynn Jones the Ospreys' coach:
Its called the Hurricane Powergen and its just hit south Wales ........
Looks like it is so far not good to Wewlsh rugby and while we may all cheer to see the Welsh in disaaray and it is nice, we need strong Welsh teams in the Cetlic League to help the league become as good as the Guinness.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Nothings as good as Guinness!! Wash your mouth out!!
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Setanta wrote:Nothings as good as Guinness!! Wash your mouth out!!
With Guinness of course ....... There is only one thing better than a Guinness and that is another one .....

Colin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52