Out with the old, in with the new

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thewaterboy
Novice

Out with the old, in with the new

Post by thewaterboy »

With two old boys, Maggs and Bell, leaving us at the end of the season we have 2 new contracts to fill with centers. I reckon Cave will get one, so the question is who will get the other. I reckon Maggs was on a fairly substantial salary so we may be a position to sigh a quality player.

A world class center, to partner Trimble, could have a huge impact on the team because i think trimble has been get very little space in his last 2 games because we channel a lot through him in the backs. Steinmetz is not a strike runner, he is a creator, and so opposition tend to focus on trimble. If we had a combo like leinster, the opposition have to mark both thereby creating space for both and others. I think we need a signing in the mould and calibre of Constable.
Red Hand Supporter
Warrior Assassin

Post by Red Hand Supporter »

Look down under and get rid of bart at the same time
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ultimate ulster chick »

What's Bart done wrong??
ulster_heroes
Novice

Post by ulster_heroes »

would love to see harrison attract some of his old pals from down under and in particular at the brumbies over. dont think any of the big names currently playing for australia will come over till after the world cup tho.

stirling mortlock alongside trimble? :P
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

maybe we could have some ulstermen rather than a bunch of mercenaries?
Rufee
Initiate

Post by Rufee »

the answer to our problems-caucauinbuca!!! the man is amazing!
If you obey all the rules You miss all the fun!!
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

By mercenaries, Aaron, do you mean the likes of Steinmetz, Harrison and Boss? :?
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

YoungMan wrote:
maybe we could have some ulstermen rather than a bunch of mercenaries?
a tad harsh statement and unjust aarons .try drying your jeans out then repost
my jeans are bone dry...
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Out with the old, in with the new

Post by pwrmoore »

thewaterboy wrote:With two old boys, Maggs and Bell, leaving us at the end of the season we have 2 new contracts to fill with centers. I reckon Cave will get one, so the question is who will get the other. I reckon Maggs was on a fairly substantial salary so we may be a position to sigh a quality player.

A world class center, to partner Trimble, could have a huge impact on the team because i think trimble has been get very little space in his last 2 games because we channel a lot through him in the backs. Steinmetz is not a strike runner, he is a creator, and so opposition tend to focus on trimble. If we had a combo like leinster, the opposition have to mark both thereby creating space for both and others. I think we need a signing in the mould and calibre of Constable.
I thought that Jonny Bell left contract with Ulster at the end of last season. I think he was registered for the HEC as a precaution - probably with the intention of swapping him out later.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Gary wrote:By mercenaries, Aaron, do you mean the likes of Steinmetz, Harrison and Boss? :?
nope. but imports of that quality come along infrequently.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

A new registrant has to have at least a 3 month contract.

Presumably an initially registered player would also have to have a contract.

I would suggest therefore that JB has a contract currently but he is not what we consider to be 'a contracted player'.

His 'leaving' would not free up a contract for someone.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

cables wrote:A new registrant has to have at least a 3 month contract.

Presumably an initially registered player would also have to have a contract.

I would suggest therefore that JB has a contract currently but he is not what we consider to be 'a contracted player'.

His 'leaving' would not free up a contract for someone.
sort of what I imagined cables - thanks.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Red Hand Supporter
Warrior Assassin

Post by Red Hand Supporter »

Bart has been ok, but should not be able to shift Bryn or any of our proper wingers from their positions. I am beginning to see what people mean when they say they were suprised that McCall signed him from Saracens. He tries hard but I dont think he's fit to wear the shirt
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Red Hand Supporter wrote:Bart has been ok, but should not be able to shift Bryn or any of our proper wingers from their positions. I am beginning to see what people mean when they say they were suprised that McCall signed him from Saracens. He tries hard but I dont think he's fit to wear the shirt
Poppycock!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

He's a jack of all trades master of none. A full back is first and foremost about defence. Needs to be solid to give the rest of the team confidence. Bryn is the most solid consistent fullback in ireland in my opinion. Annoys me people talk of replacing him. Bart is provincial quality but he should have 22 on his shirt when Bryn recovers from his back injury. Only my opinion of course.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999