Double room in Central London

Who needs ebay?

Moderator: Moderators

ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Double room in Central London

Post by ultimate ulster chick »

Hey everyone!
Moff's been a great help with the whole move to London, but I'm still looking for somewhere to live. I know most people here aren't London based but to those who are/know someone who is, I'd be most grateful if people could let me know if they hear of any rooms available close to the City...moving any time from 20th August - 7th September.
PM or email me,
Thanks!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Will do UUC... it may be an idea to contact the company you'll be working for (if you haven't done so already) to see if they have a way of advertising for flat shares.

Classifieds on http://www.gumtree.com can show you what the range of prices is.

Let us know if you need feedback on particular areas. Generally speaking, transport is pretty good in central London so you shouldn't have much problem commuting to the city from most places in Zone 1 and 2 so there'll be a very wide choice of areas.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

where exactly will you be working?
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

where abouts is your place of work? somewhere with a direct transport link would be great for you, though as mikey says anywhere in zone 1 and 2 is usually fine as the transports pretty good, i would warn against commuting from the far side of zone 2 to the other though, it can get pretty tedious and takes longer than you think some days :oops:

finding accomodation in london is a bitch, as it stands at the minute im having to go back into halls for my final year as i cant find anywhere suitable either.
Why? Why not?
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Working on Fleet Street, just at Ludgate Circus, so Blackfriars would be the nearest station.

I would love to live round the South Bank - Borough, London Bridge, or just into the North, like Angel direction. Really, walking distance as I've always walked to/from school, and uni etc from home and wouldn't like to have to take buses or trains everyday!!

My budget's pretty high, and I'd ideally like a 6 month contract (not a year or anything) - if anyone does hear of a friend with a spare room, do let me know. I'm currently facing the prospect of bringing my car across with all my stuff and sleeping in it!! haha!! :lol:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

South Bank / Borough / London Bridge is a cool area.

I wouldn't want to live much further south from there as you are in to Elephant & Castle or too far east into Bermondsey both of which can be dodgy.

Following transport links, on Thameslink, West Hampstead is a good area and 5 stops from Blackfriars but it isn't walking distance.

You'll need at least 1 or 2 changes to get to Islington, depending on the location.

If you go east a few stops on the District/Circle line, there are housing developments around Tower Hill like St Katherines Dock. Accommodation going west on the District line gets expensive as you are into places like Sloane Square and South Kensington.

Blackfriars is also very close to St Pauls on the Central line. You could look at a couple of stops east around Liverpool St, although the area around there is a funny mixture of deprivation and expensive bars full of city boys.

Going west on the Central line gets expensive with places like Oxford Circus and Bond Street alhough shopping would be good, I suppose. :wink:

The other thing you might want to consider when you get settled down is cycling into work (assuming there are showers and bike storage available)
Personally, I think a car is a liability in central London and cycling isn't as scary as you might think.
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Thanks. My car will be, once unloaded, be going right back to Belfast and staying here in N.Ireland. I cycle loads here, but facilities are so much better in London I'd be tempted to cycle to work. I would really prefer to, most of the year, not take public transport to work.

I'd prefer the more central places, not really into the West End, but again - it's just a room I'm after so I might have to end up not fussy! And will not be shopping much at all, budget is going on a place to live and flights home!!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

ultimate ulster chick wrote:Thanks. My car will be, once unloaded, be going right back to Belfast and staying here in N.Ireland. I cycle loads here, but facilities are so much better in London I'd be tempted to cycle to work. I would really prefer to, most of the year, not take public transport to work.
I'm big into cycling in London as well. There is a government cycle to work scheme and you can get about 40-50% off the price of a new bike if your employer participates in the scheme.

Quite a lot of the local boroughs also offer free cycling courses for residents, teaching urban cycling techniques, assertive riding, do's and don't etc.
ultimate ulster chick
Red Hand Ambassador

Got sorted last week - West Hampstead/Kilburn direction. Thanks mikerob! So London crew...I think this makes it official. A new member, yay! :D
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

nice 8)
Why? Why not?
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Be careful Chick!

They're territorial and a bit wary of who they allow on their manor! :roll:

init! :twisted:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

ultimate ulster chick wrote:Got sorted last week - West Hampstead/Kilburn direction. Thanks mikerob! So London crew...I think this makes it official. A new member, yay! :D
West Hampstead is a nice area and transport links are very good with Jubilee line, North London line and Thameslink rail station (which has a direct train to Luton airport if you need to escape back to NI for a weekend...)

I've been there a few times in the evening and there seems to be a good selection of bars, pubs and restaurants.

West Hampstead is situated between Kilburn on the west and Hampstead on the east, and generally speaking, the area gets scuzzier heading towards Kilburn, and posher heading towards Hampstead...
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

ps UUC... start your transition into a Lahndahner and get yourself an Oyster card before you come over... an essential item for London life. You can just get a pay-as-you-go one initially.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

mikerob wrote:
ultimate ulster chick wrote:Got sorted last week - West Hampstead/Kilburn direction. Thanks mikerob! So London crew...I think this makes it official. A new member, yay! :D
West Hampstead is a nice area and transport links are very good
As long as you're not actually living in Cricklewood, which is sometimes sold as West Hampstead/Kilburn..

(Yes, my first flat in London was in Cricklewood [shudder])
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Thats estate agents for you... the area will always be West Hampstead rather than east Kilburn or south Cricklewood....