Some do it twice a year

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Some do it twice a year

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:30 pm Changing the clocks is woke nonsense. Children should just get on with it if they get knocked down.
I recall walking to school from the first day of P1, no parent or adult with you - you were just sent.

TBF, the risk of getting knocked down was minimal because cars were a rarity on the road. You could hear one coming from hun dreds of yards away, and we all turned and watched to see what number plate it had. They were all MZ, NZ, OZ, PZ, etc. I remember well looking out for the new SZ, TZ and UZ in my last years in primary school.

We had one "rich girl" in our year - not only did daddy have a car, but mummy had one too and brought her to school and collected her in it every day. Never once did they offer anyone else a lift and some of our class lived very close by her. The rest of us had more fun though playing in the snow, ice; putting the knees out of our trousers and going the messiest way home from school rather than the most direct.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:30 pm Changing the clocks is woke nonsense. Children should just get on with it if they get knocked down.
I recall walking to school from the first day of P1, no parent or adult with you - you were just sent.

TBF, the risk of getting knocked down was minimal because cars were a rarity on the road. You could hear one coming from hun dreds of yards away, and we all turned and watched to see what number plate it had. They were all MZ, NZ, OZ, PZ, etc. I remember well looking out for the new SZ, TZ and UZ in my last years in primary school.

We had one "rich girl" in our year - not only did daddy have a car, but mummy had one too and brought her to school and collected her in it every day. Never once did they offer anyone else a lift and some of our class lived very close by her. The rest of us had more fun though playing in the snow, ice; putting the knees out of our trousers and going the messiest way home from school rather than the most direct.
I trekked barefoot over mountains for 36 miles to get to school. A leg froze and fell off but I just got on with it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:17 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

I trekked barefoot over mountains for 36 miles to get to school. A leg froze and fell off but I just got on with it.
You're lucky you had a leg to fall off. I crawled 50 miles over mountains and through lakes to get to school, and only got use one of our family legs once a week. It didn't have a shoe or sock either. Eventually when i didn't have a bit of coal to burn in the classroom fire, they burnt the leg, so I couldn't even hop home.
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: You're lucky you had a leg to fall off. I crawled 50 miles over mountains and through lakes to get to school, and only got use one of our family legs once a week. It didn't have a shoe or sock either. Eventually when i didn't have a bit of coal to burn in the classroom fire, they burnt the leg, so I couldn't even hop home.
OK you win. Now I understand why you are Grumpy Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:25 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

You're lucky you had a leg to fall off. I crawled 50 miles over mountains and through lakes to get to school, and only got use one of our family legs once a week. It didn't have a shoe or sock either. Eventually when i didn't have a bit of coal to burn in the classroom fire, they burnt the leg, so I couldn't even hop home.
He's been ar$ing around ever since ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:54 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:25 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

He's been ar$ing around ever since ...
Not quite - even that fell off eventually.

Twas just a scratch - a flesh wound.

I've had worse. I'm invincible.
I'm not arguing -
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Those were the days when we had to save up to be poor.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Just a wee reminder for the youngsters who don't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

Classic.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:30 am
mid ulster maestro wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:56 am Prior to 1880 local mean time was the order of the day. That meant that local time was set by the position of the sun. If you travelled from London to Bristol you had to change your pocket watch back 20 minutes to match the local time there.

On another time related topic. Do any of you oldies remember between 1968 and 1971, Britain tested keeping BST all year round? That is the the clocks weren't turned back in the autumn. I have vague recollections of leaving school in the dark.
Yes. I do remember that. Radioactive glow in the dark Ready Brek was essential but you would have arrived in the dark rather than left.

Here's another one for the teenagers!

https://youtu.be/6LS1ASXtWsY
Every school child was issued with a wee 'high viz' armband like a bouncer wears or the hitler youth (except an orange colour and the swastikas were drawn on by hand) . Not sure what made it reflective, but it was probably something nasty that had worse long-term health implications than being hit by a car.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:56 am Prior to 1880 local mean time was the order of the day. That meant that local time was set by the position of the sun. If you travelled from London to Bristol you had to change your pocket watch back 20 minutes to match the local time there.
How did the boy who invented the clock know what time it was? :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Come Steven Kittshoff and leave your home land,
Get over to Ulster and earn a few Rand,
But a good upright tackle can now get you banned,
If your career to you, is worth saving,
You’ll no longer make it paying like Os du Randt
The times they are a changing.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BR wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:18 am Come Steven Kittshoff and leave your home land,
Get over to Ulster and earn a few Rand,
But a good upright tackle can now get you banned,
If your career to you, is worth saving,
You’ll no longer make it paying like Os du Randt
The times they are a changing.
>clapping
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »