Who are the Ravenhill 18 ?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Who are the Ravenhill 18 ?

Post by Cockatrice »

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but if not can anyone name the 18 players that will be out of contract at the end of this season.

On the face of it my initial impression with hearing this news was that it was a ridiculous situation for a club to find itself in. In theory do we have only a few months to secure approximately 50% of our playing squad.

No doubt a chance to get rid of some dead wood but can't help but feel that others will slip through the net.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Neil Best.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Justin Harrison I think also.
A few other maybes include:
Rory Best
Neil McMillan
And, well, that's all I can think of...
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Humphs
Bart
Paddy ?
Tommy ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Given that we tend to offer only 2 or 3 year contracts, is what has happened this year that much different to what has happened in other years? Are we just hearing more about it because some wanted to make an issue of it for their own ends?

For a squad of 36 one might expect half to be out of contract in any one year if only 2 year contracts are the norm.

Remember when Paddy was given a 4 year contract and many were up in arms about a player being given such long tenure?

It's not like football where players are on long contracts to keep their "transfer" value high - in rugby that rarely happens

I don't actually know the answer to this one - I'm simply asking another one or two questions which might (or might not) help to put it into context.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Who are the Ravenhill 18 ?

Post by Cockatrice »

cap'n - some solutions may be found in the following article (from 2005) which is all the more relevant given the situation now playing out and those involved.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/20 ... 876162.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CT

That article doesn't take away one thing from my response above.

I hope you haven't been searching for it for the last 2 and a half months on my account (it wasn't me that asked the original question).

If two year contracts are the norm, the situation will continue year on year. The only thing that will change will be the names of the players (in alternate years).

To avoid the situation, longer contracts would need to be given, and that opens an entirely different can of worms.

I know, let's offer Paddy Wallace another 4 year contract (during which I'm SURE he'll learn to be a top #10 this time!)
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

cap'n- Rest easy the search didn't start until just after Christmas :wink: nor would I expect that the article would take away from your previous response.

However I do think that the article was an early warning of what was to come and where we find ourselves now. Advice from the representative of over 50% of the Ulster players (or whatever the percentage is) on how the IRFU /UR might deal with contacts coupled with the suggestion that many might be 'cherrypicked' by Engish clubs should things not change.

:banghead: (sorry grandson insisted on a smilie and he picked this one)