Pitch Inspection

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Pitch Inspection

Post by the original kimble »

Just off the phone with Ravenhill.

Ground crew all reported for duty and getting stuck in.

There will be a pitch inspection at 1pm and a decison then whether the match is on or off.

Still tickets for the terrace.......

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Pitch Inspection

Post by pwrmoore »

I imaginie public saftey on the terrace and prom will play as big a part as the state of the pitch tok. Did it look as if they stood a chance of clearing them?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Would have thought the terrace and prom would be easier to deal with than the pitch, touch of salt any away ye go whereas pitch would not appreciate a touch of salt.
On the pitch problem I watched a televised game from the Top 14 last year think it was at Perpingpong but they had just dozed the snow of the pitch into the front rows of the stands and painted red lines on the remainder on the pitch, there was slush and snow everywhere players were soaked, supporters throwing snowballs at each other and everyone seemed to enjoy a decent game of rugby.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Powermor,

I will attempt to visit Ravenhill around 11 am and will report back. As Oates once said.....I may be gone some time!

Given that it is still 1 degree C outside, and no sign of the promised rain, I am not optimisitic about clearing the terrraces. Rooster - it would take a tonne of salt to thaw out the Second Barrier, given it's altitude and treacherous north face.

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

www.ursc.co
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Don't know about the big smoke, but out here in the sticks, the ground isn't frozen under the snow, so if they can clear the top layer, the pitch and terrace should be safe (apart from the small area where you may get hit by an errant banner). The pitch'll be bloody wet, but I'm sure most of us have played on worse.

That said, would it be naughty of me to suggest that it may be Ulster's best interest to postpone the game 'til later in the season?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

The Munster Battle Bus has left, midst rain. The snow on the road to Dublin is reported to be melting. Just off to Raver now.....I will miss you all.

Farewell,

tok

www.ursc.co
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cheers TOK - don't eat the yellow stuff!
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ali c
Warrior

Post by ali c »

I'm not too far from Ravers and have to report that unfortunately the early snow that fell last night sort of turned to slush, then froze and now we have 7 inches on top of that ice. That has meant minor roads here are still impassable, which is one thing, but it might not be good news for the pitch.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:Cheers TOK - don't eat the yellow stuff!
Now there's an idea for thawing the terrace :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

We could write "Welcome Matt"... but in whose handwriting?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

You use your HAND to write in the snow?

You're taking the pi$$!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Big dose of wet stuff on the way North, wee bit of snow to start but then rain after 10 minutes here :D
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/
Rory Best
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

BBC weather forecaster Peter Gibbs said: "There has been a lot of snow overnight over the eastern side of Northern Ireland with up to 12cm in Belfast. There's been more snow for Cumbria and across a large part of Scotland. That will clear away for a time today.

"There will be more snow from the west for Northern Ireland this afternoon and Scotland this evening. There will be several centimetres, especially over the high ground.

"The rest of the UK will be fine. It will be 2-3C across northern parts and we could get up to 8-9C in the south."
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

From ulsterrugby.com
Ulster v Munster Match Status
4 January 2008, 9:36 am
By Stacey Ferguson
Ulster Rugby will confirm later on today whether tonights fixture Ulster v Munster will go ahead.
With the heavy snow in the last 24 hours Ravenhill is a couple of inches deep in snow, however with the forecasted weather of further snow then rain and increased temperatures we are hopeful that confirmation as to whether or not the fixture can be played will be made following a pitch inspection at 1pm.

Chairman Kimble is at present assisting with a clear up operation on the terrace.

Ulster Rugby appreciated the level of interest and will do everything in its power to make the ground ready for the fixture.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will be updated as soon as there is further information.
Rory Best
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

The snow could be a good excuse for not finding the try line... :wink: