Arrivals & Departures

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

colind
Squire

Arrivals & Departures

Post by colind »

A couple of interesting snippets in the Sunday Times today.

Peter O'Reilly has Caldwell heading to Northampton with Roger Wilson and the same writer has Matt Williams on a scouting mission with All Blacks Troy Flavell (possible replacement for Harrison?) and Nick Evans on his shopping list. Evans & Parks both being touted as 10 although I believe Evans also plays full back. (Bart?) :?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Arrivals & Departures

Post by mikerob »

colind wrote:A couple of interesting snippets in the Sunday Times today.

Peter O'Reilly has Caldwell heading to Northampton with Roger Wilson and the same writer has Matt Williams on a scouting mission with All Blacks Troy Flavell (possible replacement for Harrison?) and Nick Evans on his shopping list. Evans & Parks both being touted as 10 although I believe Evans also plays full back. (Bart?) :?
The Caldwell story may be a red herring... the fact that the IRFU included Caldwell in the high performance group implies they want to keep him.

Dan Parks name has come up before... Williams coached him at Scotland and maybe at NSW as well.

According to wikipedia Evans plays 1st 5/8 and fullback so could cover 10, centre and FB as well.
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

mikerob wrote:
colind wrote:According to wikipedia Evans plays 1st 5/8 and fullback so could cover 10, centre and FB as well.
What???? Evans is probably THE most gifted 10 in NZ rugby! He doesn't play there normally because of Carter's goal kicking, but when Carter doesn't play Henry now prefers him to McAlister. When Carter went off against France, Evans came on and injected life into their game.

I can't believe that he would be in any way interested in playing for Ulster though.
The future isn't what it used to be
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Evans left the Highlanders for Auckland to be closer to his family apparently.

Can't see him giving up on the all blacks for a contract with Ulster unless YM is bankrolling him.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Can't see any truth in the Caldwell rumour, is he not poised to sign a 3 yr deal with us?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Evans could cover 10, centre and fullback even if he was coming I suspect it wouldn't be as cover. Arguably one of the best in the world and as indicated having recently moved so unlikely to do so again.

The Caldwell rumour has been going for a while now with the talk of his other half mentioning they are off to France so maybe it has had the desired effect of getting him into the elite squad and upping his value.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

evans is a fantastic player, and would be a superb signing.. i think caldwell will stay as well, he certainly will if he's getting any decent advice from anyone
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Strangely I thought some time ago that Flavell would be a good signing for us. If we can afford Evans, we know who robbed the Northern Bank. :terror: (MR's mask would be bigger than the one illustrated).
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
Ringer
Novice

Post by Ringer »

Hopefully Caldwell will sign the 3 year deal being talked about. Flavell has a history of discipline problems but appears to have matured in the last couple of years. He would really tighten up what is currently a relatively soft front 5.

The big worry is the speculation surrounding Bowe. I heard a few weeks back that Munster had made him an attractive offer. He is starting to show his full potential and Ulster should do whatever is necessary to keep him. I was encouraged by his comments about Matt Williams in the Sunday Times article, so fingers crossed.

Neil Best has been a fantastic servant for Ulster and would certainly be a loss, but his style of play doesnt lend itself to a long career and I would say fair play to him if he takes a well paid 3 year deal in France.

Nick Evans is wishful thinking. Dan parks is much more likely.

We will definitely sign a tight head - any high class performers on the market?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

There could also be some who are not out of contract on the move, touch of spring cleaning in the air.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

Stephen Knoop - maybe not world class but more realistic (is he irish qualified yet?) - just realised he has just moved to leinster so maybe not

A possible replacement for Bart could be Johne murphy from leicester who plays wing/fullback

other irish qualified props to think about Mike Ross and Bracken (not gettin much game time at bristol -dont know if this is beacuse of injury or not)
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

MW has been given a 'pot of money'.............................

from the beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7200219.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...
Wee Bunz
Novice

Post by Wee Bunz »

If it's a pot that MR kept his biccies in, then we're laughing!!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I just hope the rumours of Bowe going South are just that. He is one of our most valuable players imho and if Ulster let him go without a fight then it would be a dark day.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Wee Bunz wrote:If it's a pot that MR kept his biccies in, then we're laughing!!
Would hold more than the Northern :lol: should be fit to buy players and have enough crumbs left to build a stand then Bunz :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best