Ulster's Best set to be a Saint

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Ulster's Best set to be a Saint

Post by Rooster »

BBC wrote:Neil Best will sign a two-year deal with Northampton later this week while Justin Harrison is on his way to Bath as the Ulster exodus continues.

The big-hitting Best will undergo a medical at Franklin's Gardens this week before confirming the deal.

Harrison has agreed a one-year deal with Bath and, like Best, will move at the end of the current season.

Paddy Wallace, Mark Bartholomeusz, and Kieran Campbell are also believed to be in negotiations to move from Ulster.

The Best departure, so soon after Tommy Bowe's move to the Ospreys, is a massive blow to Ulster who had hoped to match the financial package offered by the Saints.

Best will join fellow Ulster forwards Roger Wilson and Paul Shields at Franklin's Gardens.

The 28-year-old from Belfast is another crowd favourite in the mode of Tommy Bowe who last week agreed to a move to the all-international set-up at the Ospreys.

Brought into the Ulster set-up by Alan Solomons in 2002, the highly-intellectual Best soon made giant strides in progressing his game, often living on the edge with his all-action style of play coupled with some massive hits.

Following a string of scintillating performances in Europe, Best was brought into the Ireland camp and made the first of his 18 appearances against the All Blacks at Lansdowne Road in 2005.

He was part of the Ireland's World Cup squad last summer, but after mirroring Ulster's poor form this season, was one of the major omissions for the current Six Nations campaign.

New Coach Matt Williams arrived in to officially begin his reign at the weekend but will not be amused at the latest defections.

He had originally told Harrison that he was still very much part of his plans for the future. However, the former Wallaby was approached by Bath and disappointingly has had no further discussion with officials from Ulster Rugby.

Harrison was a key player when he arrived from Australia three seasons ago and helped guide them to Celtic League success.

However, personal problems appeared to have stilted his rugby and he went off the boil last season and was subsequently dropped after Mark McCall's departure in November.

Meanwhile, Wallace has interested a number of clubs in England and France, while Bartholomeusz is expected to move to Italy while Harrison is believed to be considering a move to Bath and Campbell has options open in Ireland and in England.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster's Best set to be a Saint

Post by GerryO' »

Excellent!
All the: I don't want to be here; I'm too good for here and really not good enough players are leaving.

Next season we will have a team who all want to be here and play for Ulster.
That'll do for me.
No room for sentiment here.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
bmi
Novice

Post by bmi »

Ulster Rugby website is very quiet. No well wishes it seems.

Well done Mr Reid..... :( :o
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Good luck to them all.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Scrumstretcher
Novice

Post by Scrumstretcher »

Hope they all play well next season with their new clubs. Players have a decision to make about their careers and it would appear this is where they see their future. Ulster now needs to look forward.
Bi Glic! Bi Glic!
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

Half Price Sale!

UAFC "Spirit of 99" t-shirts.

=============================================

Maybe we should forget about the Magners League and apply for the Melrose Sevens - if we have enough players left.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

GerryO' wrote:Excellent!
All the: I don't want to be here; I'm too good for here and really not good enough players are leaving.

Next season we will have a team who all want to be here and play for Ulster.
That'll do for me.
No room for sentiment here.
well said
RedKC
Novice

Post by RedKC »

Lets have players that want to play for the shirt. Wallace Best Harrison and Campbell either haven't been playin or haven't been playin well this year. I get the feelin alot of players aren't prepared to put in the work demanded by williams and are very happy in their comfort zone. Just what i here from some people
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Life goes on. I just hope that lessons have been learned by those who need to take note.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Get them out!!! and if anyone else want's off this bus, now is the time. It's a root and Ulster branch clear out we need.

No more parasites, pension grabbers, wasters, prima donnas or English premiership failures wanted or needed here.
:cowboy: :stir: Now me dander's up :banghead:
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

I'd happily play for Ulster until Gerry mentioned 'wasters'.

I then realised that's me never getting an Ulster cap.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Colzo wrote:I'd happily play for Ulster until Gerry mentioned 'wasters'.

I then realised that's me never getting an Ulster cap.
Sure ye can buy one at the next match. :thumright:
FNMilk
Initiate

Post by FNMilk »

Good luck and best wishes to them all.

I'm saddened by it but I fear that in this modern professional era, Ulster has become just the name of a rugby club. I can't help but feel that the days of playing for "Ulster -my Red Hand Province" are fading into the past.
Heres me WHAATT!
Novice

Post by Heres me WHAATT! »

Paddy supposedly to Montpellier!
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

GerryO, that's such a twattish response. So much wrong with it

U think these guys all wanted to uproot and go overseas? And that they dont work in training? Go train at Newforge and see if there's alot of mincing about.

And as for being too good for Ulster.....at the moment certainly TB is, NB with a decent front 5 is. Face facts. We're a joke at the minute. Any right thinking, ambitious, professional would have to be seriously considering his future here