Neil Kelly

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Neil Kelly

Post by Rooster »

Good luck to Neil in his new job, he did wonders with our defence in a few months after he arrived, before that we were leaking trys like a bucket with no backside.
Kelly's destiny
By Mike Hulme

NEIL Kelly always felt that it was in his destiny to coach Leigh Centurions.

Now Kelly gets his chance after being named as Leigh's new head coach on a two-and-a-half-year contract.

Almost a month after previous boss Darren Shaw stood down, Leigh made their choice and Kelly was appointed on Saturday.

He travelled from his Ulster base to Whitehaven on Monday to see his new side in action before officially taking over at Hilton Park the next day.

"I always had a feeling that one day I'd coach Leigh," a delighted Kelly told the Journal.

"If you can admire a club from afar, I've done that and when the vacancy came up, I was very quick in getting my application in."

For the last three-and-a-half years Kelly has been in Northern Ireland , coaching the Ulster rugby union side but he doesn't see his time out of league as a disadvantage.

"I've enjoyed my time in union," he said, "But I always considered myself a rugby league coach first. I'm more naturally a rugby league coach, so it's really good to be back," he said.

Kelly established an extensive coaching pedigree after finishing his playing days with Dewsbury, Featherstone and Wakefield.

After succeeding Tony Fisher at Dewsbury in 1996, he built a strong Rams side that was edged out in the 1999 Grand Final before beating Leigh in 2000. He then took Widnes into Super League, winning the coveted Coach of the Year award and also took charge of the Welsh international side before switching codes.

"From an opposition point of view I've actually coached other clubs against Leigh in significant games that they have unfortunately lost.

"Looking back on the 2000 Grand Final for example, I thought that Leigh were the better side.

"It's nice that Leigh have shown the confidence in me, to coach them at this time when they are looking to move to the new stadium. It's a very important time for the club.

"I think we can build on some very solid foundations already there and build the club up. Whether it's for next season or in three years time, I've got to build the club from top to bottom with the help of the people that have already done some good work.

"If I achieve my ambitions I am sure it will more than fulfil Leigh's ambitions as well.

"I'm very fortunate in coming in when there is a blank weekend next week.

I'll probably have a little bit of a watching brief for the rest of this week, but knowing myself I can't really watch for too long. It gives me chance to look a who the leaders are, what the strengths of the squad are, how things are done, what the medical side is like - all those sorts of things.

"The short term goal is to get the side ready to play for me against Featherstone in the first home game of my time in charge. We want to get it off to a good start."
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
FRB
Initiate

Re: Neil Kelly

Post by FRB »

Good luck to him. Ulster need a replacement defence coach soonest if next season is to be more successful. Is anyone in the frame? :scratch:
wrayzo
Novice

Post by wrayzo »

The best of luck to him and his family. He made a massive difference when he arrived.
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bets wishes & GOOD HEALTH to Ned! :salut:
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Best of luck to him in his new job and thanks for all his work here over the last few years :salut:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Agreed,

He did a great job in general and we owe our CL title to his tight defence. Things have definitlye drooped defensively since he has been unavailable to us.

Good luck and good health Neil!
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Best of luck of Neil in his new job. I've heard the saying that "attack can win a game, but defence wins leagues" and Ulster had the best defensive record in 05/06 when we won the CL.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Wot wins play-offs.............................. :duck:

atb.....................Neil! :salut:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
horslips
Initiate

Neil Kelly

Post by horslips »

For a number of months I had been lead to believe that Neil Kelly had not been actively involved with UR, a number of people suggesting that he was unwell and unable to work. I was a bit suprised when it was pointed out the he had joined Leigh Centurions,one of the lesser English RL teams.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport ... estiny.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given the abject defence that has been a feature of this season can anyone shed any further light on this. Did we have a functioning defence coach or not? If not what steps were taken to remedy the situation?
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neil hasn't been involved with Ulster for at least a couple of months now. Previously mentioned HERE
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

All the best, Neil.
mikerob wrote:Best of luck of Neil in his new job. I've heard the saying that "attack can win a game, but defence wins leagues" and Ulster had the best defensive record in 05/06 when we won the CL.
A much less noted fact is that we had the second best defence last season, despite our poor finishing position in the league.
horslips
Initiate

Post by horslips »

Neil F wrote:All the best, Neil.
mikerob wrote:Best of luck of Neil in his new job. I've heard the saying that "attack can win a game, but defence wins leagues" and Ulster had the best defensive record in 05/06 when we won the CL.
A much less noted fact is that we had the second best defence last season, despite our poor finishing position in the league.
Which season are you referring to Neil?

Interesting to note MW,s comments in to-days Tele ;

"You can miss the odd tackle but we are doing it time and time again and it is a cancer. Until we fix that we won't win. That is the number one problem with the team. International players should be able to make a one-on-one tackle.

"We have the worst defensive record in the league and it is an area of absolute major concern.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

The 06/07 season, which I suppose is not two seasons ago. Obviously it wasn't last season that we had the second best defence :wink:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

In 05/06, Ulster had the lowest "Points Against" total in the ML.

In 06/07, Ulster had the 2nd lowest "Points Against" total in the ML, and came 5th (mind you, that season Munster had the lowest "Points Against" total and came 6th, and this season the Os have the lowest "Points Against" total and they are 7th so there goes the "defence wins leagues" cliche :wink: )