What annoys people????

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What annoys people????

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 pm
BR wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:40 pm IIRC Merv is quoting the promise/oath thing that you took before you got the wee purple badge.
Lurgan Lad is quoting the wee rallying call done each night.
Was the law a list of 10 (???) including 'to help other people', 'to do a good deed every day', ...

Yes I was a sixer (yellow) - and then 2 of us (me and Robert from green six) were promoted to 'Senior Sixer' which I believe was an invention of our own pack - a sort of Sergeant Major/Warrant Officer role - where we weren't attached to a particular six - so we got to wear leather woggles and most importantly long trousers.

I did some googling re the badges and it seems the badges progressed from red to yellow to green. I recall having an armful of red and a couple of yellow, not sure if I ever got a green. Jack of all trades; master of none - story of my life.

What were the bronze/silver/gold arrows for? There was also a couple of other general achievement badges (link badge, ...???) There was some award I put in peril when I was suspended for punching someone's lights out one night. Personally I thought I deserved my boxing badge, but his ma didn't see it the same. The whole escapade probably did earn me my diplomacy badge though.

Most of my mates were BB, so, even with the oath to god and the queen - I was pretty much seen as an atheist.
Aye, the BB were almost the youth wing of the Salvation Army - a lot of religion and drill. Our church was BB but my Ma was ex Girl Guides so sent me to the Cubs instead. Seemed like a better deal to me. We did a lot more outdoorsy Ray Mears type stuff and no religion

Th arrows were a longer project which typically took about year for each stage. You had to complete about a dozen separate and varied tasks to gain the badge and it got progressively harder from bronze to gold - a bit like kiddy Duke of Edinburgh. Our pack focussed on the arrows whereas others seemd to be more into the proficiency badges.

Oh aye. I do remember somebody getting busted down from Sixer to Seconder for calling somebody a "big spastic" :lol: - not me I hasten to add (neither the "big spastic" or the offender)

:lol:
Back when Big Spa was practically a term of endearment, of course.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I was BB. Still close friends with half a dozen guys I met back then. For me, the big plus of organisations like these is the friends you make, not Learning to march, tie knots, first aid or morse code. These are inciendtal bonuses.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

solidarity wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:36 pm I was BB. Still close friends with half a dozen guys I met back then. For me, the big plus of organisations like these is the friends you make, not Learning to march, tie knots, first aid or morse code. These are inciendtal bonuses.
You say that until you're stuck on the side of a cliff with two short pieces of rope, a broken ankle and a shaving mirror.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It's when you've two hands in plaster that you find out who you friends are.

Only another day------ maybe with 'a plastic dick in a bag' and four days of silently screaming at the toilet bowl
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:19 am It's when you've two hands in plaster that you find out who you friends are.

Only another day------ maybe with 'a plastic dick in a bag' and four days of silently screaming at the toilet bowl
What are you posting with? :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
rumncoke wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:19 am It's when you've two hands in plaster that you find out who you friends are.

What are you posting with? :scratch:
I've laughed too hard at this.

Also get better soon, Rum.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Batting collapses.

And tom kite bowling at tailenders.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Are London Irish seeking or being granted Irish qualified Status

Ie if Irish qualified you would be free to join any Irish squad training during the Premiership season

have the Irish selectors " D4" morons who sacked PJ seen the light and possibly recognised there might be a problem bring him home but less of a problem playing him Internationally'.???????
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:51 am Are London Irish seeking or being granted Irish qualified Status

Ie if Irish qualified you would be free to join any Irish squad training during the Premiership season

have the Irish selectors " D4" morons who sacked PJ seen the light and possibly recognised there might be a problem bring him home but less of a problem playing him Internationally'.???????
Not getting that impression Rum, it is more supplementing home talent in the 4 provinces unless I missed something?

Are ya feeling better now health wise?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Still tender from the removal of an oversized plastic tube but the lack of bladder spasms and catheter by passing enables me to move about more freely although a toilet near to hand is appreciated .

Still on the antibiotics for UTI
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Late fitness test scheduled before the game against Sarries?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:55 pm Still tender from the removal of an oversized plastic tube but the lack of bladder spasms and catheter by passing enables me to move about more freely although a toilet near to hand is appreciated .

Glad you are on the mend Rum
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:26 pm
rumncoke wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:55 pm Still tender from the removal of an oversized plastic tube but the lack of bladder spasms and catheter by passing enables me to move about more freely although a toilet near to hand is appreciated .

Glad you are on the mend Rum
Good man Rumn. Keep well :thumleft:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Unmending unfortunately cancer confirmed