What are you reading?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce
Novice

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Bruce »

Spot on GC,read them all and they're great. You can't beat a flawed hero (messrs Best & Wilson in a rugby context for example).

In a similar vein but a bit grittier try James Lee Burke - Dave Robicheaux takes no prisoners and has demons to spare but a heart of gold.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Have read some Connelly a bit "dark" and slow a bit like a bad Stephen King

Lee Childs --I like Peter Robinson-- I like John Harvey I like -- light and pacy easy on the intelligence

a bit like Harold Robbins with out the sexual fantasies
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

bogboy wrote:Have read some Connelly a bit "dark" and slow a bit like a bad Stephen King

Lee Childs --I like Peter Robinson-- I like John Harvey I like -- light and pacy easy on the intelligence

a bit like Harold Robbins with out the sexual fantasies
Think that's a different connelly BB. You're thinking of John Connelly, i think....Dublin guy, writes about charlie parker - a PI who sees dead people.
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

Glynncommando wrote:I like Peter Robinson-
Glynncommando wrote: a bit like Harold Robbins with out the sexual fantasies
That's what Iris says...
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Ball Boy wrote:
Glynncommando wrote:I like Peter Robinson-
Glynncommando wrote: a bit like Harold Robbins with out the sexual fantasies
That's what Iris says...
Think you may have misquoted me there Ball Boy... :?
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

Oops! My mistake.
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Just finished Stuart Macbride's "Cold Granite". For some reason I have managed to read his books Brennan about face...this being his debut. Prior to that read "Broken skin" (his 3rd) followed by "Dying light" (his 2nd).
Anyway - gritty, realistic, dakly humourous. All set in Aberdeen. High quality crime fiction. Recommended :thumright:
About to start on his most recent "Flesh House"
GC
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Just finished "God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens and I must say I fully reccomend it, granted its not going to be to everyones liking but I must say I went into th book with a fairly open mind and I am now 100% sure of what I believe, I would urge all to give it a go!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

the song of ice and fire by George R R Martin. Fantasy (though barely as no real magic so far and there arnt any orcs, fairies, whatever in it) set in a mediveal war of the roses setting, essentially a succession struggle between a changing number of great houses, told from shifting perspectives, great stuff.
Why? Why not?
ali c
Warrior

Post by ali c »

The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier. Interesting book
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Tim Collins "Rules of engagement"
GC
ali c
Warrior

Post by ali c »

Glynncommando wrote:Tim Collins "Rules of engagement"
GC
Suberb book. One of my all time favourites. :thumleft:
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Vulcan 607 by Rowland White

Great book recounting a long range bombing mission during the Falklands War. :thumright:
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

fuzzylogic wrote:Just finished "God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens and I must say I fully reccomend it, granted its not going to be to everyones liking but I must say I went into th book with a fairly open mind and I am now 100% sure of what I believe, I would urge all to give it a go!
Hitchens doesn't pull any punches, does he? :lol:

If you like that kind of thing, Richard Dawkins might be of interest. "The Blind Watchmaker" is his contemporary take on Darwin as he puts the scientific case for the theory of evolution, rather than simply opening up on religion with both barrels.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Muddy Bless wrote:Going slightly off topic, I would reccomend watching "In Bruges" featuring Colin Farrell.

Very darkly funny, so good I watched to twice in the same night.

Any ideas on some historical fiction that could occupy my reading time? Conn Iggulden has been my staple holiday reads this past while, his roman trillogy fictionalising the rise and fall of Julius Ceasar was un-put-downable
In Bruges was quality all right.. I haven't read that roman trilogy thing but if that's your cup of tea I can recommend 'I, Claudius' and 'Claudius the God' by Robert Graves, absolutely cracking books covering the events post-Julius Caesar assassination from the pov of Claudius (who gets quite a sympathetic portrayal).

Also there's 'Augustus' by Allan Massie but I seem to remember it wasn't as well written, or at the more disposable end of the scale a series of books by Lyndsey Davies featuring an informer (kind of private eye) at the time of the Flavian dynasty which are pretty good particularly the first one 'the silver pigs'..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden