What are you reading?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

gannonman
Steward

Re: What are you reading?

Post by gannonman »

Hopefully getting this Graeme Swann - 'The breaks are off' autobiography. He is hilarious!
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

"Dead men risen" by Toby Harnden. The story of the Welsh Guards in Helmand. Fascinating insight into the campaign. Recommended!
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bootlaced wrote:Puzzling People, The labyrinth of the Psychopath by Thomas Sheridan. This is a book that you really should read.

Do you know someone that is charming but yet seems shallow,a person who will be there when you seem to need them most but is just using you,a person who will try and be popular but when you ask around your mates you find out that they are playing one off against another,someone who will volunteer for anything,but can't finish the job off,someone who will blame others and when they slag off a person or a method and it backfires on them then they suddenly decide to use that method,someone who will join the crowd to be accepted,and pick on the person that has insight into them,Then this book is for you.Beware the person that has no compassion,beware the person that can use language or symbols that you would find offensive for a cheap laugh.You are being manipulated my friend.
Sounds like a description of everybody's builder. :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

"Wonders of the Universe" by Prof D-ream Cox. It is mindblowing stuff, keep rereading bits to try and lodge them in my thick skull. Brilliant book of the TV series.

Please Santa, can I have the bluray for Crimbo - pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Working through a set of Ian Rankin novels starring Inspector Rebus. Brilliant!
Mum 8)
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

mid ulster maestro wrote:Working through a set of Ian Rankin novels starring Inspector Rebus. Brilliant!
Mum 8)
the best
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Just about to start The End of the Affair by Graham Greene. Classy stuff :roll:
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Neil F wrote:Just about to start The End of the Affair by Graham Greene.
it's class..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

For some reason I like to have a couple on the go at once.....Brian Moore "Beware of the pitbull"--this was a pressie that I would never have chosen--didn't expect much of this but found it to be very different to what I thought. The man appears deeply troubled by self doubt and awful abuse when a child. He also describes the challenges faced being an international sportsman towards the end of the amateur era into professionalism--clearly describes the inner workings and contempt shown by the RFU blazers. As expected he doesn't hold back and I found the book hard to put down and would even say my view of him has changed--he readily admits his faults/mistakes and seems to have lot more integrity than I previously would have given him credit for.

Bear Grylls "Mud sweat and tears" didn't realise he was one of us!! The tales of his SAS training and other achievements are exhausting--he's definitely not one who thinks the world owes him a living--he has gone out and grabbed it and appears to be a great choice as world chief scout. Good read.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BaggyTrousers wrote:"Wonders of the Universe" by Prof D-ream Cox. It is mindblowing stuff, keep rereading bits to try and lodge them in my thick skull. Brilliant book of the TV series.

Please Santa, can I have the bluray for Crimbo - pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. :D
Result, not only the bluray of WOTU but also WOTSS :D

My reading is pretty mixed, like a lot of science & astronomy but a sucker for thrillers also. In the last month I have read a couple, Michael Connolly's the Fifth Witness, OK Micky Haller book but not one of his best - mind you i can't read Micky Haller without thinking of Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny.

Also read John Connolly' s latest Charlie Parker thriller The Burning Soul - again, hes written better. In between times I have been reading Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Big Country" which is collection of weekly articles he wrote for the hated Sunday Mail in the late nineties. As usual very droll stuff which makes me smile, grin or occasionally laugh out loud.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

"Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco.

Third book of his I've read. All slow burners but by heck
can this guy weave an intricate story while painting a picture
of it in one's mind.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Amidst all of the recent publicity, I've decided to read the entirety of Sherlock Holmes. Turns out that the whole thing is basically free for the Kindle! :cheers:
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I'm on the 5th book of "Song of Ice and Fire" bloody good read.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt for about the tenth time. I love the book (and the 2 that followed it).
I hear there are Angela's Ashes walking tours daily in Limerick, I'll definitely try to do that when I'm there in April :wink: .

Don't get much time to read now, especially with a nearly 4yr old running rings round me so I'm hoping I can finish it before we head to Limerick :shock:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

"Voices From the Back of the Bus" a collection of rugby tales by one of Dungannon's finest Stewart McKinney, one of my favourite players & a very dangerous man :shock:

Was watching "Rugby Special" in the Monasterboice Inn on a Sunday afternoon on the way home from an Ireland v Scotland game. I had a few pints and got up for a pee, when I came back a bloke was in my seat and I tapped his shoulder about to ask him to shift but when he turned revealing it was Stewartie, discretion became the better part of valour and I congratulated him on the try he had scored the previous day, lifted my pint & took another seat. :lol:

What? What? You think I should have offered him outside? Are you nuts? You clearly know nothing of S McKinney. :?

By the way his brother "Wee Joe" taught me PE, think he played scrumhalf for Civil Service for years.

Anyway I digress, great stories from Stewart's mates, teammates & opponents, from all over the world, definitive tales of the late amateur era & as an added bonus SMcK donates 50% of royalties to the British Heart Foundation.