iPod Touch problems

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

iPod Touch problems

Post by mikerob »

Just been trying out the site on an iPod Touch and the drop down menus on the home page ("Home", "Fanzine", "Match Centre"...) don't seem to work using the Safari browser on the iPod Touch (the iPhone will be the same)

On Safari or Firefox on a Mac, the sub-menus appear when placing the cursor over the main menus ("Home" > Latest News, "Fanzine" > Fans Forum Video Highlights etc.) but this doesn't happen on the iPod Touch - even when the main menu option is "touched".

This means there is no way to navigate to the forum, for example, from the front page, (although I can go to the forum page directly by entering this page's URL and store it as a bookmark)

Maybe the drop down menus actually need to be "clickable" to work on an iPod Touch.

Interested if there are any other iPod Touch or iPhone users out there if they see the same thing.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: iPod Touch problems

Post by fermain »

hmmm, I'll have to look at maybe a detection script. I dunno though what the difference is from say and ipod touch or a nokia handset. or if they work differently etc. flamin' Apple!!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mike, I doubt that the site will ever work in all the minor formats that are used in phones etc, the videos were working on a nokia phone up till last Wednesday, Microsoft then did a security update and now they won't work, it has affected other commercial websites as well that use frames and is causing some real headaches I use a site daily for data collection and it is totally bollocked as it will not accept anything in IE or Firefox now.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Sony Ericsson phone is different again... while the smaller screen means it isn't as good as the iPod/iPhone for browsing, its browser expands the drop-down menus into a list of all selectable menu options, although the page formatting is completely destroyed by this...

You have my sympathy....
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

now that seems to be more universal.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

My videos on this don't work full stop :(
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Colzo wrote:My videos on this don't work full stop :(
Colzo have your videos ever worked since early July when you mentioned this before ?
Try this and tell me if it works, it should download the video which should then play in media player.
http://uafc.co.uk/video/0809/uvqrtn.wmv
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

That works Rooster, yes.

I preferred the videos like that too :(
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
hewtwit
Novice

Post by hewtwit »

i browse the forum on my iphone and it's fine, although that phpBB pic wastes a lot of space! But, yeah - the main site doesn't really work.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Colzo wrote:That works Rooster, yes.

Did it open with windows media player or some other video player ?
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Some of the menus drop down with one touch on my ipod touch, the fanzone one doesnt
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

ColinM wrote:Some of the menus drop down with one touch on my ipod touch, the fanzone one doesnt
:shock: there isn;' a fanzone menu :shock:

there is a FANZINE one though :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I would seriously doubt that everthing will ever work in every different browser and appliance, very few complex websites do due to everyone having their own systems and software. If everyone conformed to the guidelines in WC3 http://www.w3.org/ there is a chance that they might actually work but when the likes of Microsoft don't fully comply to the standards it's doubtfull that they ever will. Browsers on phones are generally cut down versions of Windows or Mac browsers and do not support some of the more complex parts of sites.
fermain having problems getting the board index at the top of this page to look same in Firefox and IE and in the videos when they were originally tried a few months ago all centered on the page now IE page has the video screen to the left, yet nothing was changed in their structure, thats just 2 of the type of problems that are faced in the 2 main browsing systems, if you Google any of these type of problems you will find thousands of people having the same problems with sites from individuals to large corporations websites.
It ain't easy but keep reporting errors and eventually most may get fixed :?
Rory Best
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

I checked the site on a Nokia N95 and it worked a treat. the menus appear as links (not drop downs), and the page can be viewed as sections on full screen.
The Safari browser on the Nokia worked even better according to my brother in law!
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Rooster wrote:
Colzo wrote:That works Rooster, yes.

Did it open with windows media player or some other video player ?

WMP