Neil best

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rosetintedgoggles
Novice

Re: Neil best

Post by rosetintedgoggles »

Agreed. Easterbunny was no better but was an EOS a**e lick.

As far as I am concerned Neil Best is an Ulster Legend. Good luck to him at FG. :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

colinh wrote:That is not what I said. He did have a dip in form for Ulster and of that there is no doubt but that is not why he was dropped. His loss of form happened long before he was dropped from the Irish 22.
Well then why was he dropped?
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

His form did drop before the 6N and he did not deserve to be picked - neither did Easterbunny.

Quinlan was out playing them both
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Ardglass2 wrote:His form did drop before the 6N and he did not deserve to be picked - neither did Easterbunny.

Quinlan was out playing them both
I would debate this - Easterby had, mostly, been out of form at 8, not 6, for the Scarlets and Quinny's form at that stage was far from outstanding - he was so far off the pace in 2005 and even 2006 that his marked return to form was notable for its improvement, rather than the level he was at in 2007; it was only last season that Quinny really showed where his form, compared to alternatives for the six shirt, was and that lead to his selection as first choice going into these summer internationals; it was unfortunate that he found himself injured at the time. Ultimately, Easterbunny's form in the 2007 6 Nations shows that it was one of the few correct decisions that Comical Eddie made at that time.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

You can track Neil's percieved lack of form back to at least the Last Stand and before.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

The lads have moved on (and best of luck to them)...perhaps we should too :wink:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Are you going to answer my question Colin?
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

rosetintedgoggles wrote:Cowpat???? Hope you were referring to EOS and his 16 man squad system! :lol: My point was that EOS had his chosen few around which he built his team. He didn't really trust his squad members, the result of which was a number of the squad players clearly became disillusioned with playing for Ireland. This particular chicken came home to roost when ROG amongst others played so badly during the world cup but EOS had no plan B.
I think that you're right in a way, although we must ask how many other players were treated in the same way by EOS? There are a number that didn't go on to have the same fate as Neil Best with Ulster. Certainly, Axel Foley suffered the same kind of treatment (and if anything, suffered it in a worse way) but his form did not capitulate the way Bestie's did. We all remember Bestie on top form and, rightfully, remember him fondly but I think we have to accept that the reasons behind his departure from Ulster are to do with his relationship with Ulster rugby, not the IRFU and certainly not Comical Eddie.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Correct.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

barney wrote:The lads have moved on (and best of luck to them)...perhaps we should too :wink:
Indeed you may be correct Barney.
Last edited by colinh on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

colinh wrote:
barney wrote:The lads have moved on (and best of luck to them)...perhaps we should too :wink:
Apologies for replying to Gerry's point.
You didn't. Why was he dropped?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 pm Are you going to answer my question Colin?
Apparently not ... :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right