Whose been a naughty boy then?

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Whose been a naughty boy then?

Post by MightyRearranger »

Best cited for clash with Haskell

Best moved to Franklin's Gardens from Ulster in February
Northampton flanker Neil Best has been cited for an alleged clash with Wasps forward James Haskell during his side's 24-20 Premiership win on Saturday.

The 29-year-old Ireland star was reported for illegally making contact with the eye or eye area of Haskell.

Best will appear before a Rugby Football Union disciplinary panel in London on Tuesday.

The range of punishments for his alleged offence vary from a six-week ban to a maximum of two years.

Haskell is currently banned himself for head-butting an opponent during Wasps' 11-10 defeat by Worcester on 14 September.

But the England star could still have missed Wasps' trip to Leicester on Friday because of the eye injury he picked up in the incident with Best.

Best was reported by independent citing officer Ken Pattinson and has been charged "with an act contrary to good sportsmanship under law 10.4k."

He will appear before a three-man panel chaired by His Honour Judge Jeff Blackett, assisted by Peter Budge and Jeff Probyn.

Best's Northampton team-mate, hooker Dylan Hartley, received a six-month suspension last year after being found guilty on two counts of eye-gouging.

The incidents also happened against Wasps, and also involved Haskell, together with Wasps flanker Johnny O'Connor.
Didn't see the incident, but if he's guilty I hope they throw the book at him, Ulsterman or not. Eye gouging is something I really can't stand. Maybe he's been getting some pointers off Dylan Hartley.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Whose been a naughty boy then?

Post by pwrmoore »

Don't condone this sort of thing at all. If found guilty then nasty behaviour deserves severe punisment - until the disciplinary committeees start handing out punishments that actually punish the perpetrators there will continue to be incidents of this kind.

That said, given this will be an RFU committee sitting in judgment on a non-English international I would be amazed if they are as lenient in this case (if proven) as they were with Haskell himself last week.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

we shall soon see how un bias'd this citing comission is. any video of the incident. Haskel's name is coming up alot atm.
Why? Why not?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

pwrmoore wrote: given this will be an RFU committee sitting in judgment on a non-English international I would be amazed if they are as lenient in this case .
:shock: :shock: :shock: :silent:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Oh Gerry wrote:
pwrmoore wrote: given this will be an RFU committee sitting in judgment on a non-English international I would be amazed if they are as lenient in this case .
:shock: :shock: :shock: :silent:
as lenient as they were with Haskell last week - one week ban for a head-butt. The comment wasn't intended to relate to the Hartley incident.
Paul.

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Ithryn wrote:we shall soon see how un bias'd this citing comission is. any video of the incident. Haskel's name is coming up alot atm.
Aye maybe there was a bit of shenanigans both ways. Doesnt make eye gouging any more acceptable though.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Head-butting and now eye-gouging....................Wellington College has a lot to answer for. :wink:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
baldeagle09
Initiate

Post by baldeagle09 »

Talk of a 2 year ban on Setanta:shock:
Freebird
Novice

Post by Freebird »

Didn't see the incident. Article is a little vague, only says made contact with eye area. Is he actually accused of gouging or is there a chance he thumped him and hit him in the eye area? Now that would sound Bestyish.
I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you'll never change
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Freebird wrote:Didn't see the incident. Article is a little vague, only says made contact with eye area. Is he actually accused of gouging or is there a chance he thumped him and hit him in the eye area? Now that would sound Bestyish.

Sounded a bit like a euphemism but I tried to stay with the "if proven" thing as until it comes out in detail and he is found guilty or not-guilty we will not know exactly what went on.

I'm really in favour of the IRB laying down a proper marker on foul play and doing it consistently. Some players will probably have to spend the best part of a season at least out of the game before it sinks in but I'm afraid I believe it is an investment in the future of the game. I want the individual unions to support this in the decisions of their own disciplinary panels.

What I fully expect to see though is that the RFU fail to deal equitably with their own internationals when compared with those from other countries in a show of naked self-interest. I hope I am wrong.
Paul.

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Eye gouging is a particularly nasty offence. I would have thought that Neil had more sense and decency, but you never know.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

PRESS RELEASE REGARDING NEIL BEST
For immediate release: Friday 26th September 2008
Issued on behalf of Northampton Saints
Northampton Saints (the Club) notes the impending tribunal hearing listed on Tuesday 30th September 2008.

In light of the citation by the Rugby Football Union, the Club and the player did not feel it appropriate for him to take part in the impending fixture v Saracens this weekend.

We look forward to the hearing on Tuesday when hopefully all relevant matters surrounding the game versus London Wasps can be canvassed.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Topical Avitar Fermain!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

fermain wrote:
PRESS RELEASE REGARDING NEIL BEST
For immediate release: Friday 26th September 2008
Issued on behalf of Northampton Saints
Northampton Saints (the Club) notes the impending tribunal hearing listed on Tuesday 30th September 2008.

In light of the citation by the Rugby Football Union, the Club and the player did not feel it appropriate for him to take part in the impending fixture v Saracens this weekend.

We look forward to the hearing on Tuesday when hopefully all relevant matters surrounding the game versus London Wasps can be canvassed.
A cynic might think that Saints were taking an early voluntary suspension in expectation of a guilty verdict, in the hope of having him back for more important matches. :shock:

I'm no cynic, though, so won't express any opinion on the reasoning or expected outcome of his hearing. :wink:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

The panel of Jeff Blackett (chairman), Peter Budge and Jeff Probyn are discussing the case further and judgment has been reserved until tomorrow morning, when the decision will be announced.
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/saint ... 4540870.jp
Illegitimi Non Carborundum