Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:A Derry Girls fillum is inevitable.

Like every other sitcom spinoff it will be shyte.
They seemed to wrap things up well in the finale. Your one who was in Bridgerton was clearly off filming Bridgerton and not in the same place as the rest of the cast. The actors seem to be off doing various other projects.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:07 pm And if you hadn't tried the books, do so. Michael Connelly, author of Bosch stories
Bosch books are excellent. Much better than the tv show. Connelly is a superb writer.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:03 am

They seemed to wrap things up well in the finale. Your one who was in Bridgerton was clearly off filming Bridgerton and not in the same place as the rest of the cast. The actors seem to be off doing various other projects.
Hopefully the wee English fella can now focus on playing 10 for Ulster.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

StandUp wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:21 am
Bobbievee wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:07 pm And if you hadn't tried the books, do so. Michael Connelly, author of Bosch stories
Bosch books are excellent. Much better than the tv show. Connelly is a superb writer.
Think my dad gave me some but they’re gathering dust on the shelves with lots of others!

It’s very rare for a TV version to live up to a favourite book but, as a stand-alone show for someone who’s not read them, the Bosch series is right up there.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:47 pm

Nah he’s too busy being PNE’s best youth prospect in years.

https://www.pnefc.net/teams/u18s/midfie ... ey-oneill/
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm
big mervyn wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:47 pm

Nah he’s too busy being PNE’s best youth prospect in years.

https://www.pnefc.net/teams/u18s/midfie ... ey-oneill/
He has to have an Irish granny
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:01 pm
StandUp wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:21 am
Think my dad gave me some but they’re gathering dust on the shelves with lots of others!

It’s very rare for a TV version to live up to a favourite book but, as a stand-alone show for someone who’s not read them, the Bosch series is right up there.
Yeah I do quite like the show, but as you say, books are invariably better that their shows.
If you are going to try them, best to begin at the first book (who’d have thought) as there are some themes running through them, but not totally necessary.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Aha. I thought there was a Bosch-like feel to it, but not as good. Actually watched the first four episodes last night and half way through episode six as I write this.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I may be the only person in the world who didn't go head over heels for Derry Girls. As usual, series 1 was the best. I just thought too many of the jokes were predictable or a bit lame. Surely there can't be a fillum in the pipeline
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

I enjoyed The Lincoln Lawyer. Watching Bosch Legacy now.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

If you want a magnificent crime drama, watch The Wire. Second only to The Sopranos in its brilliance.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:22 pm I may be the only person in the world who didn't go head over heels for Derry Girls. As usual, series 1 was the best. I just thought too many of the jokes were predictable or a bit lame. Surely there can't be a fillum in the pipeline
Some of the writing was good but much of the acting and the direction was a bit am dram.

Trust me. There WILL be a fillum. It's too much of a money spinner not to happen. It'll be poor though.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The problem with a Film based on the Derry Girls is two fold first most of plot lines have already been covered and two the age of the cast -- none are actually teenagers -- which is basically the core of the humour and how teenager girls in Derry coped living in a violent society in the 80/90s. -- as a collection of "airheads "--- whose anchors were seen as "family oddballs" and existing in a school environment directed by nuns who had a slim grasp of their pupils realities .

A mix not easily brought to the screen
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rumncoke wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:40 am The problem with a Film based on the Derry Girls is two fold first most of plot lines have already been covered and two the age of the cast -- none are actually teenagers -- which is basically the core of the humour and how teenager girls in Derry coped living in a violent society in the 80/90s. -- as a collection of "airheads "--- whose anchors were seen as "family oddballs" and existing in a school environment directed by nuns who had a slim grasp of their pupils realities .

A mix not easily brought to the screen

Were they to do a filum, the question is would it be a comedy or just the sentimental crap of the last couple of episodes?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Didn't know about Bosh Legacy. That's the next few evenings taken care of.