Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I think it was the finest piece of wisdom in the whole Oscars debate when Dustin Hoffman was asked about it and replied "I think the number of young black men being shot by police officers on our streets is a much bigger problem".

Preach brother Dustin. The Oscars row is nothing but a tiff between luvvies. Bullshit rubbish about a trivial pursuit. I couldn't give a rat's fart about which luvvy gets a wee prize and gushes about everyone they've ever known. It's a serious an issue about the ladies beef about SPOTY another preening session of drivel.

Now continue with your wee debate if you feel that doesn't adequately conclude this non-issue. :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Russ wrote: "Token black"
Merv that is a racist term you have used

I'd heavily advise against using it in public, or the sexest terms you used
Russ,

Please explain to me how the phrase 'token black' is racist.

Thanks,

R.

Please
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:

Russ,

Thanks,

R.

Please
Merv has highlighted that someone is different based solely on his race

He's then gone on to imply that this actor was only cast in his place in order to meet some sort of quota

Therefore the term "token black" is racist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Russ wrote:
BR wrote:

Russ,

Thanks,

R.

Please
Merv has highlighted that someone is different based solely on his race

He's then gone on to imply that this actor was only cast in his place in order to meet some sort of quota

Therefore the term "token black" is racist
Merv may be racist (and I defend his right to be so*), but the phrase is not.

* I don't actually believe Merv is any more racist than the next man. He is referring to debate and observations that have been made elsewhere. Ongoing debate without which, we would struggle to impact on racial discrimination.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Russ. Seriously. Catch a grip. The logical extension of your argument is that you cannot point out a racist practice without being racist yourself.....
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I don't believe Merv is racist either. Far from it
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Tell you what though. Feckin' stroke of luck that Death Star Mark II had a similar fundamental design flaw to the original. If there's one thing we've all learnt, it's protect yer oscillator at all costs :thumleft:

Darth Og wasn't a patch on his granda either. Feckin wimp.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Once a Knight wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Tell you what though. Feckin' stroke of luck that Death Star Mark II had a similar fundamental design flaw to the original. If there's one thing we've all learnt, it's protect yer oscillator at all costs :thumleft:

Mervyn, that goes without saying. A Gentleman always protects his oscillator. :lol:

Darth an Óg, was actually one of the better performances but lacked the chilling menace of his Gran'papy. In fairness though, Darth Vader did have the wonderfully talented and not in the least token black James Earl Jones doing his voice. God he was a fantastic actor. 85 now so not tatty in case my use of the past tense worried people.
True. The fault was not so much with portrayal, as in the character itself. The wee female Yoda who ran the pub was a decentcharacter that was somewhat underused. A few Red Dwarf moments (now that was a good show at it's peak)too, like when the big monsters were rampaging through the Falcon. Most have been painful when it's tentacles got cut off. I thing it's oscillator was still intact though.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

You can learn a lot about intolerance, sexism, racism and interplanetary love from this beautiful verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6emQpBXe5Y
Big Neville Southall
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Concussion with Will Smith is a good show, though his African accent is a bit dodgy.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I fu@king hate sci-fi .................wait, I may have posted that before. :scratch:

Move along now, both sides of the bar.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:Tell you what though. Feckin' stroke of luck that Death Star Mark II had a similar fundamental design flaw to the original. If there's one thing we've all learnt, it's protect yer oscillator at all costs :thumleft:

I haven't seen it yet and you're dropping spoilers like a big racist ballix...........
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:

I haven't seen it yet and you're dropping spoilers like a big racist ballix...........
Ooops! Sorry. I'm usually the last person to see fillums. Didn't even occurr to me that some of you hadn't.
Better hurry. There were 6 of us in the cinema yesterday afternoon.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Ooops! Sorry. I'm usually the last person to see fillums. Didn't even occurr to me that some of you hadn't.
All Caucasian?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

All Caucasian?
Very much so. Do I have to pay McWhirter for using that?
Big Neville Southall