Formula One

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Formula One

Post by Jackie Brown »

I think the new cars look fantastic. Can't wait for the new season to start now!! :D

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Formula One

Post by Kofi Annan »

Such a boring sport
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

I'l second that kofi altho, is it really a 'sport'?
Mary had a little lamb . . .
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

fuzzylogic wrote:I'l second that kofi altho, is it really a 'sport'?
Of course its a sport, one that tests body and mind of the driver beyond belief.

Each to his own though, personally I cant stand it :(
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Of course its a sport, one that tests body and mind of the driver beyond belief.
Is it really tho, if sport by definition is "an activity where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome"

As shown over the last 10/15 years, possibly longer, im not that old that its not necessarily the best driver who wins, but the driver in the best car?!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

You drive a Ferrari or McClaren and see how well you do. Driver skill and ability has a massive effect on the outcome.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

You drive a Ferrari or McClaren and see how well you do. Driver skill and ability has a massive effect on the outcome
If only someone would give me the chance to drive something like that, I find it hard enough to get insured on a 1.2 206!

But its true tho, the driver isnt the primary reason for winning, its all about the car. Since Senna in a Honda in 1991 (Honda being McLaren won it 5years in a row) there have only been 3 different winners Ferrari, McLaren and Renault.

Its a little like football in a way, United just kept winning the prem because they had put together the best side over the years then Abramovich took over Chelsea and threw stupid amounts of money in an bought a good side to win a league! F1 is all about who can throw the most money into there car!
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Love F1, all the cars have the same design really.

Of course it's a sport, and you do have to be fit to drive the car, with the downforce on your neck and all that!
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

fuzzylogic wrote:
Is it really tho, if sport by definition is "an activity where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome"

As shown over the last 10/15 years, possibly longer, im not that old that its not necessarily the best driver who wins, but the driver in the best car?!
Yes it is.
From the Oxford English Dictionary

sport

• noun 1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinS wrote:Love F1, all the cars have the same design really.
horlix, those with most money have the best cars in general along with the best support crews, the best driver does not always win the championship or the races for that matter.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

The cars look a lot narrower than in previous years - new regulations or new photographer?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

New Regs.

I THINK the cars ARE slightly narrower. Certainly higher rear spoilers, which maybe give an impression of narrowing the cars though.

Back to slick tyres again this year.

All (theoretically) meant to improve chances of overtaking for more exciting races. Remains to be seen if they work though - A bit lke the ELVs
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I'm sure it must be great fun to drive one of those cars but it is mighty boring to watch them going around in circles nearly a hundred times.There's hardly any overtaking and sad to say the most exciting moments are the crashes.I know people who love it though so like everything else it's a matter of taste.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

New designs will encourage overtaking
read something along the lines of "you only need half the opportunity to overtake as in previous years" (not sure that that's the best way it could have been worded but not sure of the exact details), something to do with the higher rear spoilers creating less turbulence for cars behind

plus LH is an overtaking machine
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Rooster wrote:
ColinS wrote:Love F1, all the cars have the same design really.
horlix, those with most money have the best cars in general along with the best support crews, the best driver does not always win the championship or the races for that matter.
Could be said of any sport Rooster. The best rugby players don't always win cups, it depends on the support around them. Formula 1 is a team sport like Rugby or Football. The best drivers will rise to the top the same way the best players get signed by the best teams eventually.