Rugby commentators

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Rugby commentators

Post by darkside lightside »

Just watching the munster match, and thinking that the commentator/co- combo, Connor Morris and Reggie Corrigan, is about as good as it gets at the moment. I think Corrigan's very good at picking up on what's going on, particularly among the forwards, but he's also a pretty good analyst all over. Morris isn't as showy as Bags-of-it, who is great value, but a bit of a BS-merchant! (I mean that in the best possible way :)) he makes very few errors, and obviosuly knows all the ML squads etc really well, so you get no stupid errors, and he keeps it fluent and professional.

it all deteriorates a bit at half time, when gobsh1te extraordinaire, Francis, is let loose... (although byrne is a good analyst)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Re: Rugby commentators

Post by aarons »

Neil Francis is actually at Ravenhill tonight... think that might be the first time Setanta have actually sent him to Belfast. But will he leave in one piece :P
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Commentary is very good tonight! Apart from the Simon Best incident, and the hard hats being there to protect the building work :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Mad Mike
Novice

Post by Mad Mike »

Kimble spent years earning the right to wear that hat. That's why he gets the little protective glasses too. As for the rest of us...
Stand up...well I'm on the terrace so there ain't much choice
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Corrigan talks alot of sense which few commentators do these days, best in the Northern Hemisphere though would be Will Greenwood, talks sense but also gets really into the game and excited when certain events happen, although it is hard to beat the Aussie and NZ commentators.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

cjp wrote:....best in the Northern Hemisphere though would be Will Greenwood, talks sense but also gets really into the game and excited when certain events happen, although it is hard to beat the Aussie and NZ commentators.
NOW SAY YOU'RE NOT SERIOUS!!! I think he's bloody dreadul, he chews his words up, tries to be too clever by half, talks a load of codswallop into the bargin, and he gets excited, but disproportionatly so at really strange moments... I think he's my least favourite rugby co-commentator by a country mile...

Best Pundits: Reggie Corrigan, Emmett Byrne, Austin Healey, Brian Moore
Worst: Jeremy Guscott (overbearing gobsh1te), Neil Francis (almost flaunts his lack of knowledge), Will Greenwood (just plain annoying)

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I don't think the beeb's rent-a-celts: Keith Wood, Jonathon Davies and Andy Nichol are that great.

They are all a bit bland and I'm not sure how much they've kept up with technical things like the various defensive systems teams are using these days. Davies speciality is shouting "numbers!" when he thinks there is an overlap only for a drift defence to close everyone down 2 seconds later.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

mikerob wrote:I don't think the beeb's rent-a-celts: Keith Wood, Jonathon Davies and Andy Nichol are that great.

They are all a bit bland and I'm not sure how much they've kept up with technical things like the various defensive systems teams are using these days. Davies speciality is shouting "numbers!" when he thinks there is an overlap only for a drift defence to close everyone down 2 seconds later.
yes i agree - Wood is treated as if he has the inside track in Irish rugby, but I really get the feeling that he's a complete outsider, he certainly never says anything particularly insightful. Vague and broadly optimistic. Andy Nichol - mindlessly optimistic, in spite of all the odds, before every match whether it be against Ireland or NZ he tells us all beforehand what Scotland 'need to do to win' :D .. I don't mind Davies too much, but I think he gets a bit hacked off surrounded by the likes of Guscott, being all smug and insufferable, so he's started reacting by becoming a bit like that himself.. I met him once in Paris, and he was a completely stand-up guy, he would have stood around chatting all night!

The 'numbers' thing isn't just his trick - it's a favourite of quite a few pundits, notably Moore!! He didn't shut up about it against Ireland - usually when there were about 4 English players (inc 1 prop and a 2nd row) squeezed outside the ball carrier against the touchline, with BOD sliding, Fitz/Bowe in line and TOL sweeping, and he'd be shouting 'GIVE IT!! oh that ball should have gone there, that was a definite try..' :D

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Current favourite co-commentator has to be Brian Moore.I'm not saying he's the best but I like him because he's not afraid to say things people don't like to hear.Even in the last match when he was ridiculously claiming Flutey and others were doing nothing wrong it was entertaining to listen to.Eddie Butler, being the arrogant gobshite he is, always tries to make out he is the voice of reason but I'd take Moore's ramblings any day over him.

Can't stand Jonathan Davies with his inane cries of "numbers" as alluded to above.He doesn't seem to be the brightest judging by his appearance on quiz shows such as "A Question of Sport" where he has struggled with all sports and has got some easy rugby questions wrong.This kind of comes out in his attempts at analysis.
Keith Wood I'm afraid is a plank, at least when he's on BBC.However he is only in the halfpenny place compared to the insufferable bore Jeremy Guscott who hasn't even the slightest sign of a personality.Nichol is only there to balance the books as he offers nothing of significance.

The commentators on the BBC these days are terribly poor.Nick Mullins appears to be in dreamland as he shows little interest in what's happening on the pitch or maybe he just doesn't know anything about the game.Butler as said above is a Class A pain the rear.Again that other guy, Andrew Cotter I think his name is, is there to balance the books although he's probably on a par with the others.

Heading over to RTE---Ryle Nugent is a bit of a fool but he tries his best I guess and at least shows he's interested in the damn game.George Hamilton knows nothing about rugby and nothing about commentating.No surprise then to see he is RTE's highest paid commentator.He is a buffoon who finds himself hilarious, just like Mark Lawrenson.In both cases I trust they are alone.Co-commentator wise we have Tony Ward who could be good because he does know about the game but he has a tendency for hyperbole which makes him look an idiot.Ralph Keyes tries his best and can offer some decent thoughts at times but is a bit bland.He also ruined many a Munster Senior Cup final for Shannon when he was the outhalf for arch rivals Cork Con and can never be forgiven.
>TM

George Hook has had enough said about him before.Brent Pope offers good analysis although gets caught up acting the fool with Hook.Conor O'Shea is probably the best for analysis on either channel which he delivers, when allowed by nincompoop McGurk, in a non-regimental and airy manner with his friendly personality and humility.He got the best start in life of course being born in Limerick before moving on to Dublin which luckily hasn't negatively affected him. :mexican:

Sky then have Barnes who I like both in-studio and co-commentating.He also has his lap-dog Morris who I'm afraid would be lost without Barnes to tell him what to think.Greenwood is an excitable type who can get on your nerves when he is losing the run of himself over something trivial happening on the pitch.In his favour at least he genuinely loves the game.Sky main commentator Myles Harrison has improved over the years and isn't too bad while the others are just OK.

Setanta unfortunately have Francis who is a court jester and nothing more.A sub-standard player and sub-standard pundit and columnist with delusions of grandeur.Liam Toland isn't too bad along with Emmet Byrne and Reginald is pretty decent despite my misgivings when he entered the fray.Mark Robson is the Irish version of Greenwood really and can be irritating.Can't think of the other main commentators name but he's OK.Donal Lenihan I have to say I like although he may be a bit boring for some.

I caught a bit of the RWC 7's this week and was pleasantly surprised to find Nigel Starmer Smith commentating.Again he wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea but I always liked him and I'd probably say he is at least as good as any of the commentators around at the moment.

When I started writing this I didn't realise it was going to be so long.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Agree with most of what is said above especially about the imaginary overlaps. Surprised nobody's mentioned Phil Matthews who is truely dire and so out of touch with the modern game.

Also don't write off George Hamilton's knowledge of rugby - he did play a few seasons on the wing for Collegians 5th XV many moons ago.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Haha while were on the subject, this from the Independant, seems to echo everyones thoughts on here.
Below-par commentators don't talk a good game

Thursday March 27 2008

If the standard of rugby played in the Northern Hemisphere of late has left a lot to be desired, then you have to say that the quality of rugby commentaries in this part of the world has lived down to that level.

First, we had the astonishing faux pas of the BBC's commentator mixing up the names of French back row players Ibrahim Diarra and Fulgence Ouedraogo throughout the recent France v Italy match in Paris. He was wrong every time, except when one of them finally left the field.

Then there was the extraordinary utterance of Welshman Eddie Butler during the Grand Slam match between Wales and France, which summed up the declining standard now so widely heard on television.

Butler's phrase about "us" when talking in relation to Wales puzzled me. Doesn't he realise that the doyen of TV commentators the world over, Bill McLaren, became so universally respected partly because he took scrupulous care always to detach himself and, as far as humanly possible, his emotions from surfacing even amidst the greatest Scottish success?

The Brian Moore/Butler duo in Cardiff reminded me of the two old men in the Muppet Show, Stadler and Waldorf.

Something else McLaren always made sure he did was get his facts right. Had he heard it, I wonder what he would have made of Nigel Starmer-Smith's efforts on Eurosport during the French Top 14 League match between Albi and Biarritz.

Mentioning the fact that Biarritz were without several key players due to international calls and injuries, Starmer-Smith informed us that great names like "Yachvili, Traille, Willemse and Dusautoir were all missing" from Biarritz's ranks.

There was a good reason for Dusautoir's absence. He joined Stade Toulouse almost two years ago.

Does the Eurosport commentary team actually go to all the matches in France? Or are they just doing voice-overs from a London studio? And, if it's a case of the latter, is it the commentators' fault?

If such a skinflint approach exists, it clearly does not pay off. It's not professional because the commentators can't get there on the morning of the game, familiarise themselves with the coaches and some players. They can't get a feel for the event nor surround themselves with those who will be involved.

Starmer-Smith's lack of knowledge about Biarritz rugby club was badly exposed during the match at Albi. As the camera panned into the main stand, it focused on Biarritz coach Patrice Lagisquet. Starmer-Smith proudly announced : "And there's Patrice Lagisquet, sitting next to that man in the red top."

So who was the man in the red top? Father Christmas? Er, no. Biarritz backs coach Jack Isaacs.

One man who certainly knows what he is talking about in this field is Michael Watt, the man whose company, CSI, held the TV rights for all the world's top rugby unions back in the 1980s and 1990s, and who is still involved in the sports television and entertainment business.

Watt, a shrewd observer of the scene, said: "Probably 10 per cent of the world's rugby commentators are any good.

"The ones that stand out are people like Nick Mullins of the BBC, Miles Harrison of Sky and Stuart Barnes who certainly knows the game, plus John Drake in New Zealand and the Australian commentators who cover Super 14."

- Peter Bills
Mary had a little lamb . . .
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Aye Butler and Phil Matthews have to be down there.

And also thon wee doll from the BBC who interviewed Simon D after getting motm for Scotland v Italy :lol:
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

mikerob wrote:Davies speciality is shouting "numbers!" when he thinks there is an overlap only for a drift defence to close everyone down 2 seconds later.
actually now you've mentioned this it's all i can ever remember him saying - he must do it about 5 times a match!! :D :D 'oh, they've got numbers on the left if they can use it!!" etc (pronounced nam-buzz)

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

The late Bill McClaren (sp?) is very sadly missed. He was a true expert who parked his partisan colours at the door when he entered the commentator's booth. He was the consummate professional and all who dare to follow in his footsteps should look at he master and follow his example.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

pwrmoore wrote:The late Bill McClaren (sp?) is very sadly missed. He was a true expert who parked his partisan colours at the door when he entered the commentator's booth. He was the consummate professional and all who dare to follow in his footsteps should look at he master and follow his example.
Agree 100% Paul.I have his video and not only was he a fantastic commentator he comes across as a very much down to earth and decent man.Unfortunately not only are the guys these days not up to it from a commentary perspective a lot of them have unjustified egos to boot.When you see the preparation Bill put in before games you can see part of the reason why he was so brilliant.It wasn't just a job for him, it was like a vocation.Some of the little bits of information he had were testament to his interest in delivering a top notch all round performance.I remember when Gerry McLoughlin(Locky) scored that great try in 1982 when he seemed to carry the whole English & Irish pack over the line on his back Bill McLaren announced "they'll be singing down in Angela's tonight"--A reference to the pub in Sir Harry's Mall(Sandmall as we'd call it) in the heartland of Shannon RFC.Show me a commentator that would know or would be interested to know that type of information today.It may seem like little but it gave us a big thrill to hear it after a local hero had scored the try.

If Bill McLaren is the benchmark for rugby commentators then nobody else has even come close to reaching the required standard.Like Sir Peter O'Sullevan in horseracing these types of people don't come round too often.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.