EDF replacement

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

EDF replacement

Post by Rooster »

Met a doggy walking up the road today, told me there is a new competition to be announced in the next few days or early next week of a competition involving English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh clubs/provinces/regions.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Re: EDF replacement

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

this what you're talking about rooster?

French out of Heineken Cup

The French Rugby Football Union have been suspended from all European competition for a period of 2 years, following their refusal to recognise the playing ban imposed on Marius Tincu by the International Rugby Board (IRB).

The IRB has concluded its enquiry into the events that resulted in Marius Tincu playing for his club Perpignan in France's Top 14 despite being suspended.

The result sees French representation in both the Heineken Cup, and the Challenge Cup, set at 0 until the 2011/12 season. The Italian Rugby Federation had previously stated that they would withdraw from the competition if the French were treated harshly, and as a result the competition will now be between only teams from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

Heineken have announced that as a result they will cease their sponsorship of European Rugby's marquee event, with Glaswegian beer makers Tennants taking over. A new trophy is to be introduced, with participants playing for the Tennants Tin.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Nope, this one is genuine.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

any idea on the format, or teams to be involved (ie select number or all ML + GP)?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:any idea on the format, or teams to be involved (ie select number or all ML + GP)?
That's what the press conference is about and the dog was not invited :(
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

A new home nations semi-professional club rugby tournament will be launched in Cardiff on Wednesday.

The British and Irish Cup will have clubs from the Welsh Premiership, Irish Division One, English National League One and Scottish Premiership One.

The new competition will renew old cross-border rivalries such as recently-relegated Bristol and Welsh clubs like Cardiff and Newport.

The exact format of the completion will be revealed at the formal announcement.
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

New semi-pro tournament launched

A new 24-team home nations semi-professional club rugby tournament will launch next season.

The British and Irish Cup will have clubs from the Welsh Premiership, Irish Division One, English National League One and Scottish Premiership One.

Teams will be divided into four pools of six, playing over five weekends during the Autumn international and Six Nations windows.

The semi-finals and finals take place on April 24 and May 15 respectively.

Welsh Rugby Union head of rugby performance and development Joe Lydon said: "We are delighted to be fully involved in this exciting new competition.

"It will engage all our teams in the type of cross-border sporting rivalry which will generate support and help improve the standard of play in all the teams involved.

"Here in Wales we know the appetite for this level of competition exists and it will deliver measurable benefits to the development and sustainability of the professional and semi-professional sport here."

Rugby Football Union's tournaments and competitions director Terry Burwell said there was "a real appetite" for the competition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams in the competition:

- 12 English Championship clubs: Bedford, Birmingham & Solihull, Bristol Rugby, Cornish Pirates, Coventry, Doncaster, Exeter Chiefs, London Welsh, Moseley, Nottingham, Plymouth Albion, Rotherham Titans

- Top six Welsh Principality Premiership clubs: Aberavon, Cardiff, Llanelli, Neath, Newport, Pontypridd.

- Three Irish provinces: Munster, Leinster and Ulster

- Three Scottish teams: top two finishers in Scottish Hydro Electric Premiership Division One (champions Ayr and the runners-up, either Boroughmuir or Heriot's) and a team drawn from Edinburgh and Glasgow and members of Scottish Rugby's National Academy

Pool Stages

- Four pools of six playing each other once.
Pools are based on travel/geography with the aim of maximising local interest and minimising cost to teams and supporters.

- Pool winners progress to knockout stage
Still not clear in the beeb report... first bit says Irish Division One.. second bit says Munster, Leinster and Ulster but not clear if this is the provincial A team or a club from each province.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

On the IRFIU site it says the three irish teams will be Ulster A, Munster A and Leinster A
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Pools are based on travel/geography with the aim of maximising local interest and minimising cost to teams and supporters.
I assume that means the 3 provincial A teams in the same pool.

I can see them putting the 6 Welsh teams, London Welsh and the west country and a west midland ND1 teams in the same pools for some Anglo-Welsh rivalry.

All the other ND1 teams are around the midlands/yorkshire so I can see them grouped.

So that could leave us with the 3 Scottish teams. The Irish teams are going to have to fly anyway, so I suppose it may as well be to Scotland.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Just to add to confusion according to this EDF will still be running as well :scratch:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynatio ... -23561290/
Welsh Premiership clubs welcome introduction of new cross-border competition

May 7 2009 by Blair Wood, South Wales Echo

WELSH rugby can look forward to more cross-border rivalries next season with a new British and Irish Cup joining a revamped Anglo-Welsh tournament on the calendar.

While the Blues will defend their EDF title in the new-look cup competition, Welsh Premiership clubs will contest a new 24-team tournament of their own.

The top six from the Premiership – Cardiff, Newport, Aberavon, Llanelli, Neath and Pontypridd this season – will fight it out with teams from the second tier of English rugby, three from Scotland and sides from Irish provinces Munster, Leinster and Ulster.

And, while the new British and Irish cup is being hailed as a huge step forwards in player development at club level, an end to speculation surrounding the Anglo-Welsh’s future could be seen as the more significant of the two.

“I can categorically state there will be an Anglo-Welsh competition next year,” said Terry Burwell, the RFU’s tournaments and competition director. “It will add more to the jigsaw and gives us a really strong, competitive pyramid right through the whole of the English and Welsh rugby calendar.

“The Premiership have been looking at a number of options open to them next year. The extension of the Guinness Premiership is off the agenda and the only show in town is the Anglo-Welsh competition.

“They have bought into that now and there will be an Anglo-Welsh competition next year between the four regions and the 12 Guinness Premiership sides.

“We are currently looking at revamping its structure to ensure every team is given two home games and we are very hopeful that we can come to a conclusion on that basis.”

Welcoming the new British and Irish Cup, Welsh Rugby Union group chief executive Roger Lewis said: “This competition is very important for us and the future of the game in Wales. It has had unanimous support from the WRU board and we are looking forward to an exciting initiative.

“It’s another example of the special relationship we have developed with the RFU in recent months. We are developing a lot of new initiatives together and we believe this tournament can be a big success.”

While clashes between Welsh semi-pro players and full-time players from over the border raised certain safety issues, the players involved were determined to focus on the opportunity in front of them.

Pontypridd vice-captain Gavin Dacey said: “This tournament is fantastic and I can’t wait for it to go ahead.

“There’s been talk of it for a while now and there’s been a massive buzz around the Premiership because of that.

“Everyone has pushed hard to get in the top six and, now we are there, this is a big reward for us. We are all really looking forward to it and everyone wants to be part of it.”

While echoing Dacey’s excitement, Newport head coach Sven Cronk admitted the standard of opposition was a cause for concern.

“Obviously it’s exciting but it’s going to be a huge challenge, “ he said.

“The likes of Leinster and Munster A sides will have a lot better quality of players than some of the Premiership teams and the gulf in quality could be a big issue.

“The English Championship is a high quality too and, while really happy to be involved, we will be pushed to the limit by this.”
Rory Best