Setanta Ireland confirms TV deal.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Setanta Ireland confirms TV deal.

Post by browner »

TELEVISION coverage of Magners League rugby matches involving Ireland's four Provinces is set to continue by Setanta Ireland.
With the Setanta GB operation going into administration last month, there had been concerns for both rugby and football in Ireland in respect of both the Magners League and Setanta Sports Cup competitions.

However, as revealed by the News Letter on Monday, soccer's Setanta Cup, a cross-border competition involving Irish League and League of Ireland teams, will take place as planned.

And the News Letter now understands that Setanta Ireland will be covering games in Ireland and Scotland involving clubs from both countries when the Magners League rugby season kicks-off in September.

However, it is understood not all games involving the Irish Provinces are included in the package and some home games may be broadcast by BBC Wales and S4c after they signed up to a new two-year deal shortly after the demise of Setanta GB operation.

The Irish Rugby Football Union and Celtic Rugby Ltd, organisers of the Magners League, had previously indicated that contracts with broadcaster Setanta Ireland were in place and they were confident the satellite television company would continue with their coverage in spite of how things were developing on the mainland.

While the broadcast scheduling has not been confirmed, it is believed there may be some late kick-offs involved in the rugby matches, with Ulster having some 8pm kick-offs at Ravenhill for home games being covered by Setanta Ireland.

However, their favoured Friday night slot looks set to continue under the broadcast plans by both Setanta Ireland and BBC Wales.

Ulster's first home game of the Magners League season is against Edinburgh on September, Friday 18 – with an 8pm kick-off.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
notj
Steward

Re: Setanta Ireland confirms TV deal.

Post by notj »

How do you go about getting Setanta Ireland in NI?
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

notj wrote:How do you go about getting Setanta Ireland in NI?
and is it at all possible in GB?
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

On sky - just sign up. Would like to think the £12/month will decrease, but I'm not holding my breath/
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

darkside lightside wrote:
and is it at all possible in GB?
I would imagine that a sky card from NI (maybe need the digibox too) wouldn't know if it was in Portstewart or Portsmouth.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I have recently carried out some tests using an unwanted standard Sky box - family surplus.

Without a card, I got many channels but RTE (TV) was not included.

With a current 'everything subscribed' card (NI address), RTE (TV) became available but 'subscription channels' remained unavailable - card and box were not paired.

Like BR, I believe the box and card will have to 'move' together as a pair to get Setanta (or Sky Sports) from a satellite dish.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Setanta Ireland is still on the channel listing for Sky (GB address) however some programs like F1 are Ireland only (and I don't know if they mean island of Ireland or ROI)
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mikerob wrote:Setanta Ireland is still on the channel listing for Sky (GB address) however some programs like F1 are Ireland only (and I don't know if they mean island of Ireland or ROI)
They're usually RoI, we get some stuff blocked in NI too.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cables wrote:I have recently carried out some tests using an unwanted standard Sky box - family surplus.

With a current 'everything subscribed' card (NI address), RTE (TV) became available but 'subscription channels' remained unavailable - card and box were not paired.

Like BR, I believe the box and card will have to 'move' together as a pair to get Setanta (or Sky Sports) from a satellite dish.
I think some subscription channels can be got with just the card, others require card and box paired - I know Sky sports does, but I don't know about setanta.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

imagine if the Setanta management were in charge of U/R.......................there's not enough wheat beer. :roll:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
cables wrote:I have recently carried out some tests using an unwanted standard Sky box - family surplus.

I think some subscription channels can be got with just the card, others require card and box paired - I know Sky sports does, but I don't know about setanta.
If you phone Sky you can get a card paired to another box, I've done it with an old box while another one was being fixed then change it back.
Setanta is paired to a box and you cannot move the card to another box, I tried to get them to do it at the same time as the sky card but they claimed they could not do. :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Red Hand PD
Novice

Post by Red Hand PD »

Anybody know what's going to happen with Vrigin Media? I had Setanta 1 and 2 free with the package I was on (XL? ... everything except movies and sport) but can't find any info relating to the new Setanta Ireland coverage.
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

Virgin carried Setanta UK..........not Setanta Ireland........so like myself you're snookered.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

NOI people will still receive Setanta... apparently.
BTvision, Virgin etc are all snookered!
http://www.setanta.com/uk/

Here in UK mainland, I can still see Setanta Ireland, so maybe fingers crossed, I'll get to see any rugby televised.
(but maybe not! :cry:)
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

It's surprising that the IRFU would severely limit their audience in this way.

I hope someone can get the games onto the internet for us mainlanders to watch.
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag