Ernie Davis RIP

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Ernie Davis RIP

Post by ColinS »

Not so sure where to put this, however, in the following article posted by my schools' website, it mentions he played for Ulster.
Mr. E. W. Davis, 1923 - 2008

It is with deep regret that we heard of the passing of Mr Ernie Davis, our esteemed former Headmaster.

Ernie began his teaching career at The Model School on the Cliftonville Road in 1945. This saw the beginning of a career which spanned 42 years and was marked by an extraordinary devotion to the success of his pupils, whether in terms of academic achievement or in sporting prowess. One of the major highlights of his career was undoubtedly coaching the 1st XV to victory over Ballymena Academy in the Schools Cup final in 1971.

He was appointed as Headmaster in 1972 and led the school with the same characteristic drive and devotion until his retirement in 1988. Throughout his retirement, Ernie maintained his interest in the school and the progress of its pupils. He was always anxious to ensure that standards were maintained. He visited the school on a regular basis and we were pleased to have his company earlier this month at our annual Carol Service.

Ernie’s other abiding passion was rugby. He played for Ulster and served as President of the Ulster Branch of the IRFU. He was a lifelong devotee of CIYMS Rugby Club and it is fitting that he was with his friends from the club at a rugby match when he passed away on Saturday afternoon. The funeral service will take place at Cavehill Methodist Church at 9.00 am on Saturday 20 December 2008.

He will be sadly missed by all those who knew him.
I've got great respect for the man. A real gentleman, and someone who was extremely passionate about the Boys' Model School, and their rugby. It's worth noting that the Model won the Schools Cup under Mr. Davis.
RIP Mr Davis.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ernie Davis RIP

Post by cables »

I also have a great respect for the man.

Yes, he did play for Ulster. He was a hooker and although small in height (when judged by todays hookers) he was wide and very wise.

I last saw Ernie in the Committee box at Ravenhill only a few years back. Prior to that I, and others, had the pleasure(?) of his company at a cardiac re-habilitation class ran by the Mater Hospital. I recall that we played a game of badminton. Both of us were fecked by it but the nurse stepped in and stopped the nonsense that had developed. I was around 10/15 years his younger. He was precise regarding his recovery programme whereas I paid it lip service by comparison. :oops:

A great Ulsterman.

I believe he was from Eniskillen, never married and was a mathematics teacher.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Indeed he did teach maths and was never married.
I, among many other senior prefects, have been invited to attend his funeral on saturday morning. We have the head boy, and three deputy head boys carrying the coffin.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Boys Model won the Schools Cup in 1971 when they beat Ballymena Acedamy and, as you say, Ernie was the coach.

Three Ulster Schools have a one hundred percent win record in the Ulster Schools Cup Final.
Model Boys (1971)
Ballyclare H.S. (1973)
Grosvenor H.S. (1983)

BTW, Ernie would not have been the only Ulster player on the Staff then.

Having only now read the quote in your post ColinS, I realise most of my posts were already covered and the age difference was graeter than I imagined. Shame on me for trying to defeat a man old enough to be my father (just about) at badminton. :oops:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

Only spoke to Ernie once or twice at CI - remember him "offering encouragement" to the minis one day. A gentleman.

From today's Belfast Telegraph:

Lindy McDowell: What we can all learn from legend Ernie

Over a quiet drink in a Belfast club last Friday afternoon I introduced the elderly gentleman sitting beside me to another friend of mine who’d just joined our company.
The older man was about to further elucidate as to who he was when the newcomer, Dougie, held up his hand. “No need to tell me who you are,” he said. “I know already.
“You’re a legend.”
The legend in question was the magnificent Ernie Davis, former headmaster of the Boys’ Model School, rugby hero and all-round gentleman.
He died just the following day. And in common with the thousands of people (I do not exaggerate) who knew and loved him, my heart truly aches at his passing.

Ernie died doing what he loved most — watching CIYMS play rugby. He was among friends. He himself would have regarded that as a fitting way to go.
For Ernie lived and breathed the game he first played as a boy at Portora in Co Fermanagh. It inspired him and through it, he inspired so many others.

In 1971, the year before he became the school’s headmaster, he coached the Boys’ Model team that became the first, and the only, non-grammar school to win the rugby Schools’ Cup.
It was an outstanding, historic achievement for the team, the school and the self-effacing, dynamo of a man who steered them to victory.

It says something about the times we live in that teachers today rarely get the credit they so often deserve for the work they do.
The era of Mr Chips is long gone. The devotion great teachers can inspire in their students seems oddly dated in a world where the “achievements” of “celebrities” eclipse the more meaningful work of those who really do shape young lives.
Yet, if asked, most people could still recall a favourite teacher who will always hold a special place in their hearts.
Maybe because that teacher just listened to you or helped you.
Maybe because they encouraged you on to things you never imagined you could achieve.
Or maybe because they changed your life.

Ernie epitomised the very best of his profession.
He led the school during the hard, dark years of the Troubles.
An obituary in this paper this week by his friend Eric Luney describes his “no-nonsense brand of leadership.”
That was Ernie. He was not a man for standing on ceremony. He was the most wonderful company. He was witty and sharp, a wonderful story teller who would break into recitation at the drop of a hat.
To be honest, often even without the drop of a hat.

In his day he was no mean rugby player himself (he turned out with the likes of that other legend, the great Jack Kyle) and his love of the game in many ways defined him. He was essentially a team player. But a player who led from the front.

In recent years his friends had campaigned for his contribution to teaching and to charity to be officially recognised. But Ernie never got a gong. Maybe he wasn’t considered trendy enough by those who judge such things.
But the fact is that it didn’t matter.
In various ways those whose lives he’d touched had over the years paid their own tribute.
When he turned 80, for example, hundreds turned out for a special dinner in his honour where his trademark white raincoat was auctioned for charity. And CDs of the great man’s recitations were snapped up.
Ernie Davis knew that he was loved and respected.
The only question is that, modest man that he was, would he have known just how much?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Ernie's famed & framed white raincoat was presented to CIYMS at the annual Rugby Dinner there a few weeks ago.

I didn't really know the man but anyone with an association with Portora and CIYMS is surely a role model for us all.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
FNMilk
Initiate

Post by FNMilk »

I was very sad to hear on Sunday that Mr Davis had passed away the previous day. I went to The Model during Ernie's watch.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

As a long time CI member I would just like to say what a pleasure it was to have known Ernie.

He was a true gentleman and great supporter of the game of rugby at all levels.

It's somewhat ironic that with his love of CIYMS RFC over many years, Ernie should pass away watching his beloved club.