Matt Williams on Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Re: Matt Williams on Ulster

Post by jackthelad »

A friend of mine who was coach at Malone a few years ago bailed out because of the continual and incessantly appalling attitude and arrogance of Cecil and Neill. They had let slip to a certain media commentator who was a contemporary of the coach that they had plans to "stab him in the back" and bring in their own pet who subsequently led them from AIL1 to relegation to Division 3. No prizes for guessing where that unsuccessful coach is now.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

So Ulster Rugby is suffering severe oppression under the ruthless rule of the bold Cecil, rather like Tibet under China. Sounds like we need a fleg for that!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Blazerama wrote: The likes of Alan Solomons and Matt Williams crossed Watson as did John McComish and finally Mike Reid.
Always did wonder why John McComish suddenly vanished and was replaced near the end of a season :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Blazerama
Novice

Post by Blazerama »

John McComish took the wrap for the huge Inland revenue fine imposed on Ulster for cash payments made to players/coaches etc during the Solomons era. All approved by Cecil. That's why they call him Teflon-nothing sticks. Why don't we all ask him at one of the many club dinners over the next few weeks. It's the only time his heads above the parapet.
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

Just to clraify, as far as I remember Malone have never been in Div 3 of the AIL. We were in Div 1 in the first year of the comp, got relegated and have been fimly ensconced in Div 2 ever since.

Off topic I know, but someone on here has to defend our honour!
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

redsock wrote:Malone...someone on here has to defend our honour!
what honour?
a greater shower of ># haven't been seen since the Germans perfected the art of moving millions of people around the country in trains.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

Nice one lad.

I suspect this isn't the topic to talk about club rugby and you seem to have pretty strongly held beliefs about almost everything so there's probably not much point anyway. But really we're not that bad.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

redsock wrote:Just to clraify, as far as I remember Malone have never been in Div 3 of the AIL. We were in Div 1 in the first year of the comp, got relegated and have been fimly ensconced in Div 2 ever since.

Off topic I know, but someone on here has to defend our honour!
Sorry, maybe got the facts wrong. It was a long time ago.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

ahhh they're not that bad.
my only experience is in playing against several of their lower teams. For some reason always came home with shiners and stud marks a-plenty...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

Lower teams is where I reside and as you know that sort of thing is just par for the course!! Sure it's great to head home and show the missus the war wounds! In all seriuosness I'm not sure why we have such a bad reputation, but it sems to be something that has stuck.

No sweat Jack, it certainly was a very long time ago that we worried the higher echelons of Irish club rugby, you still got 4 points for a try ffs!
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

redsock wrote:Lower teams is where I reside and as you know that sort of thing is just par for the course!! Sure it's great to head home and show the missus the war wounds! In all seriuosness I'm not sure why we have such a bad reputation, but it sems to be something that has stuck.

No sweat Jack, it certainly was a very long time ago that we worried the higher echelons of Irish club rugby, you still got 4 points for a try ffs!
When I started playing you only got 3 for a try. I remember one England v. Ireland game where Ireland scored 3 unconverted tries (9 points) and England scored two penalties and a drop goal courtesy of Bob Hiller to draw the game. The last penalty was given against Brendan Sherry the Irish scrum half for throwing the ball into touch. If he'd walked off with it we'd have won....or had a place kicker (maybe Tom Kiernan?) with his kicking boots on that day...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:ahhh they're not that bad.
my only experience is in playing against several of their lower teams. For some reason always came home with shiners and stud marks a-plenty...
Is anyone else as shocked as me at this outrage? :shock:
It's a disgrace
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Doesn't 4 years in a row of underperforming on the pitch under 3 different coaches not merit some kind of independent review within Ulster rugby or will we not get this until we finish below Connacht one season.

Sick of hearing this cr*p wheeled out about how we can't compete with Munster and Leinster because of tax breaks blah blah. I don't have a problem with the fact that we can't compete against them right now, because they are 2 of the top 3 or 4 sides in Europe without a doubt. I want to know why we can't compete against the likes of the scottish teams and struggle to compete with Llanelli and the Dragons these days and struggle to get past the poorly funded Connacht. Comparing us to Munster and Leinster is a complete red herring which fails to address the more important issues.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Of course it merits a review, however the time of changing coaching staff and/or CEO was the time to review. Now would be a strange time to do it.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Blazerama wrote:John McComish took the wrap for the huge Inland revenue fine imposed on Ulster for cash payments made to players/coaches etc during the Solomons era. All approved by Cecil. That's why they call him Teflon-nothing sticks. Why don't we all ask him at one of the many club dinners over the next few weeks. It's the only time his heads above the parapet.
Interesting as some of the guys on here were very disappointed in his replacements attitude to players having a few beers with some of the fans who had travelled over to Wales for one of the matches, total change in attitude to what we were used to with John, no doubt someone will comment further.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best