What position will Jared play?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: What position will Jared play?

Post by Big-al »

fuzzylogic wrote:
TinPig wrote:
This misguided assumption that Cave is slow is total fantasy. I remember speaking to one of conditioning coaches a few seasons back and at that time Nagusa was the fastest man on the team and Cave second. I have no reason to think he has slowed down any. Straight line speed is an important component but nothing more.
Agreed.

No one seems to remember him chasing Fion Carr (one of the fastest players in Ireland) back over 50m and catching him last season in the Ulster v Connacht game at Ravers.
That was D'arcy
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
TinPig wrote:This misguided assumption that Cave is slow is total fantasy. I remember speaking to one of conditioning coaches a few seasons back and at that time Nagusa was the fastest man on the team and Cave second. I have no reason to think he has slowed down any. Straight line speed is an important component but nothing more.
It's ironic that the clip on the News of Payne playing showed him at 13 but for me he is a world class 15. :cowboy:
Good call piggie, all a bit ludicrous this dividing into the Spence supporters & the Cave cabal (much as I am enjoying the banter) Cave being slow is a joke. It is a fact that some players look all action when running and others appear to glide. Darren is a glider, much the same running style as Danielli in my opinion. Some appear to have difficulty in understanding that a glider is just as quick as the bustling all action type.

We are lucky to have the choice to play either or both, I would go for both though not necessarily as centres.

As for the subject of this thread, lest we forget, Jared Payne appears to prefer 15 but I must admit I have only seen him at 13 so I am pretty much in the dark about his ability where we are apparently going to play him. Picked up on BBC that he won't be considered until next week so the wait goes on - Cardiff beware. A debut in the manner of St Ruan would do nicely.
Well said Baggy, it is crazy. I know all supporters have their favourites but for the love of all things Ulster, why can't both players be celebrated for the different attributes that they bring to the team. If it comes down to a straight choice between the two you can be sure that the other will be on the bench giving us serious options over 80 mins. Also people should stop labelling players such as Cave saying he is too slow or Spence can't pass. If someone's analysis of a players qualities is in the form of a shallow pigeon-holing statement such as 'crash-ball merchant' or 'too slow to be a top-class 13' then I would say their opinion lacks the depth and prescision to be considerd relevant or at all useful. Rant over :salut:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

+1. But that should also include saying P Marshall can't pass!!
LTHG
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Cornerfleg wrote:Image

You did not see Darren Cave running fast, you did not notice him playing well, you WILL ingore any future good performances from him and you will not like Adam D'Arcy ....
That's the Law now.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

lovesthehardground wrote:+1. But that should also include saying P Marshall can't pass!!
Now that is simply censorship, it shouldn't be a problem stating facts rather than half-assed opinions. The world & its mother & her mother all know full well that Small p doesn't have that particular skill in his armoury. Mind you for a wee, small, PORG-like , stunted wee fella he is as game as a badger & plays his under-sized but deeply courageous heart out for Ulster :red:

Respect but not blindness, that is my motto , or in its original form on the family crest: Non Caeca, Sed Obsequium
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Big-al » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 am
fuzzylogic wrote:
TinPig wrote:
This misguided assumption that Cave is slow is total fantasy. I remember speaking to one of conditioning coaches a few seasons back and at that time Nagusa was the fastest man on the team and Cave second. I have no reason to think he has slowed down any. Straight line speed is an important component but nothing more.
Agreed.

No one seems to remember him chasing Fion Carr (one of the fastest players in Ireland) back over 50m and catching him last season in the Ulster v Connacht game at Ravers.
That was D'arcy
No! It was Cave.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Ah, Fiona Carr I went to school with her & had her in the geography store room 8) .

Meanwhile, Fion Carr is not as pretty but still pretty quick but as I pointed out earlier running styles can be confusing. Often the all action runner, like a Simon Geoghegan or a Fiona Carr for that matter look blindingly quick whereas a glider like Darren or long Si Danielli look as if they could beat anyone if they could just be bothered running fast.

Looks my friends not only can be but frequently are deceptive.

I recall the now scorned racist, "Big Ron" Atkinson describing a central defender who couldn't match the blindingly slow pace of Teddy Sheringham. "That guy is deceptively slow", intoned Big Ron.

Our Darn is the complete opposite of that - deceptively quick. Hope that clears this one up.

Meanwhile .................... not much talk of Jared then ............. maybe he needs a thread about him started :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I would start a thread about Jared if I had the beginnings of a clue about what position he played
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:I would start a thread about Jared if I had the beginnings of a clue about what position he played

Best I can do Fleg is tell you I saw him in the 13 shirt. It may be an Ould Wives Tale but they do say too many centres spoil the broth ........... at least I think that is what they say. :?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I saw him walk through the George Best Airport ... man alive he looked slow!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Cornerfleg wrote:I saw him walk through the George Best Airport ... man alive he looked slow!

You're an idiot
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Cornerfleg wrote:I saw him walk through the George Best Airport ... man alive he looked slow!
very funny :thumleft:
He had 13 on his back at the airport he speeds up if you change it to 15. :lol:
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Asshole walking the wrong way on the moving floor again :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Big-al wrote:

You're an idiot
Don't you think that post is just a little pathetic, Big-al ? Not to mention nasty & unbecoming of an Ulsterman ?

Tinny, Rooster, I suspect Big-al thinks you are idiots too. :shock:
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I'm hurt Baggy ... he got me ... he got me good this time ... take care of Anthia ... and make sure them Gatlan boy's don't take the ranch ... it's going cold Baggy ... I'm too young to d.............