Pre match scran plummeting from bad to worse!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Re: Pre match scran plummeting from bad to worse!

Post by shamalicious »

Definitely think scran is a cultchie thing. Friend from the Big Smoke never heard of it either.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Royster
Novice

Post by Royster »

Think it is an old Navy term but it was often used in the Liverpool based series 'Brookside',probably because of the strong Liverpool/Navy connections.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Used to be known as Scra down our way.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Royster wrote:Think it is an old Navy term but it was often used in the Liverpool based series 'Brookside',probably because of the strong Liverpool/Navy connections.
We are a long way from both liverpool and anywhere the navy could dock a boat either, been wet but not that wet :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

browner wrote:Am i the only one who when first reading the title of this thread didn't know what "scran" was? I'd never heard of it.
Obvious after reading the post,but still...is it a common word nowadays?
Fleg...are you a Geordie or an ex marine

How dare you sir ... a Geordie indeed when my in laws are Teesiders ... the shame the shame.

No sir I am a born and bred Belshaft man, I do however have a working relationship with local history and being a semi pro nerd for such like am always on the lookout for either new or extinct colloquialisms which elivate standard English into verdant Norn Irish. I like my scran to be quer tack ... and thon effort by the freindly woman who neither toils nor spins preparing it at the Van at Ravers is no wi'in a Bay-gles gowl of being dey-sent scran.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Fleg, you could always bring yer piece with you
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

A nice wee piece an a flask full of scaul ... sticken out!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Once made the mistake of answering 'Just me piece' when asked what was in my bag while stopped by an army patrol (ye mind the days?) Oh how we laughed when we realised the mix-up and the safeties went back on.

Perhaps our South African muckers would understand the term 'scran' - I believe it may originate from the dutch for a decent feed.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Aye ... King Billy loved his scran!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BR wrote:Once made the mistake of answering 'Just me piece' when asked what was in my bag while stopped by an army patrol (ye mind the days?) Oh how we laughed when we realised the mix-up and the safeties went back on.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

BR wrote: Perhaps our South African muckers would understand the term 'scran' - I believe it may originate from the dutch for a decent feed.

Interesting.

Scran has been mentioned and attributed to the Dutch, Geordies, Mariners & and the odd Irish man.

I've heard exactly the same about "Craic".
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Snipe Watson wrote:Used to be known as Scra down our way.
Always my understanding too though I have heard scrawe foreby. Of course I'm an educated townie who has worked the length & breadth of this sceptic wee pravince where many don't know their Brennan from a hole in the ground & others the price of everything & the value of nuthin'.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

:shock:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Tenyarder
Novice

Post by Tenyarder »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

backawaygoonahead wrote:Always my understanding too though I have heard scrawe foreby. Of course I'm an educated townie who has worked the length & breadth of this sceptic wee pravince where many don't know their ar$e from a hole in the ground & others the price of everything & the value of nuthin'.

Goon - where have you been? You should see some of the sihte that people have been posting in you absence.

AyeYerMa wrote:
BR wrote: Interesting.

Scran has been mentioned and attributed to the Dutch, Geordies, Mariners & and the odd Irish man.

I've heard exactly the same about "Craic".

Could it beyond the realms of possibility that the word was introduced to sailors by the Dutch who then spread it around various port locations (personally I would have associated its common usage to scouse) and from there to the hinterland.

Don't get me started on 'Craic' :twisted: - I have seen no evidence to counter my claim that it was invented (by a joint venture between Guinness and Bord Failte ;) ) in the 1970s. Up to that point everyone seemed happy enough to use the Scots word 'crack' for a similar meaning.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk