What annoys people????

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What annoys people????

Post by Dave »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
OneMore wrote:
Dave wrote:Onemore, as I have stated the premise of an invisible God is untestable because there is no way to measure such a concept.
On what basis can you make that statement? Anything invisible is untestable? I'm not sure that's true.

Is the Christian God not, by definition, outside the realms of mortal understanding, and therefore, science?
Yes and science is the most robust way we have of knowing and testing hypothesis but is ultimately limited. In fact science doesn't really try to know or prove, but rather to test theory and determine whether it is falsifiable. To provide strong evidence for.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Shan wrote:
The thing that really pishes me off is when a religious person says "Well it's my faith, end of, it doesn't have to be logical." That seems lazy. If it's important enough for it to be an all-encompassing system of beliefs which you have committed yourself to for all eternity, at least fight your corner for believing it - talk about the first cause argument, intelligent design, the morality argument . . .
Why would somebody need to fight their corner? If somebody is happy and has complete conviction in their faith, or lack thereof, I don't see any reason why they would need to seek validation from others. Unless you are trying to convince others to believe what you believe then you don't need to present a case to the world.

Sorry Shan, I take your point. I should have been clearer in my post you quote here. I was thinking of a specific instance with a very reductive, narrow-minded young member of the DUP, who was seeking to justify conscience clauses and the like because "it's just my faith."

Of course, anyone can believe whatever the hell they want, so long as these beliefs don't cause coercion of another. My issue was with people who make society-wide judgements, or advocate society-wide actions, based upon a faith which they see as simply something to be accepted by everyone else. Which wasn't communicated at all well above.
It's the hope that kills you.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Sorry Shan, I take your point. I should have been clearer in my post you quote here. I was thinking of a specific instance with a very reductive, narrow-minded young member of the DUP, who was seeking to justify conscience clauses and the like because "it's just my faith."

Of course, anyone can believe whatever the hell they want, so long as these beliefs don't cause coercion of another. My issue was with people who make society-wide judgements, or advocate society-wide actions, based upon a faith which they see as simply something to be accepted by everyone else. Which wasn't communicated at all well above.

Nice one horse and thanks for that. You and I are 100% in agreement in this particular area of the overall subject matter.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
UlsterAddict
Novice

Post by UlsterAddict »

big mervyn wrote:..costs a bit more at Inst and more still at Campbell - the price for less state control and allows them to take in the "cream of Ulster" :lol:
Double cream- rich and thick! :lol:
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Wee Woman wrote:Rory mugged by Lewis Hamilton, who'da thunk it??
Nice bit of racial stereotyping Image
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote:
I suppose the point is "personality", but then, seeing that Lewis (like so many previous winners) is devoid of one ... what's the point?
Yeah. At least Paul McGinley has a personality and is a gentleman and extremely sportsmanlike. Tis all a load of old árse though. But I say that as one who doesn't like any of these award shows. Fecking giving awards to folk who've already been well compensated for their achievements. Load of old pony. Awards for unsung heroes I'd prefer....but not many are overly interested in hearing how ordinary non-famous folk help their fellow man....except the ones who kill other people to help mankind of course.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterAddict wrote:
big mervyn wrote:..costs a bit more at Inst and more still at Campbell - the price for less state control and allows them to take in the "cream of Ulster" :lol:
Double cream- rich and thick! :lol:
... and full of clots.

Sure they're a flagship for John O'Dowds educational reforms. Norn Irns oldest mixed ability secondary school :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Pablo
Novice

Post by Pablo »

Having spent my hard earned cash to get there and to add insult to injury getting soaked and bate, ladies and gents I give you Declan Fitztwatrick!. That's what annoyed me yesterday !. Ok im not getting over this easily. Also
Feckin Doak who must have been watching Another game .
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

So you send a big shipment to the Middle East and it transpires that somebody overlooked the fact that one very small item in that shipment had a country of origin of Israel. Delivery denied and has to go back to Europe.

What a load of old árse.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Bummer but imo you shouldn't be buying Israeli products in the first place.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

More context Shan

Lol Py
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Looking at BBC news on Christmas day and seeing this bunch of convicts/gangsters/corner boys

“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Looking at BBC news on Christmas day and seeing this bunch of convicts/gangsters/corner boys

I believe the appropriate collective noun is shower.......
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:Looking at BBC news on Christmas day and seeing this bunch of convicts/gangsters/corner boys

Appropriately, as it's the festive season, I think you'll find the collective noun is a "parcel".

Interestingly, or not, baggy and I were chatting about this. Because of our history and the peace agreement we have a totally dysfunctional system of government where people with diametrically opposed politically perspectives must attempt to work together in a compulsory coalition. Nowhere else in the world has such a system of government. Perhaps it is amazing that they do as well as they do? Equally, maybe we have got the politicians we deserve. Just a thought.
Yes. You can't vote them out. Best you can do is move them around a bit. Unfortunately, the only politician opposed to the system is Jimm Allister.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Appropriately, as it's the festive season, I think you'll find the collective noun is a "parcel".

Interestingly, or not, baggy and I were chatting about this. Because of our history and the peace agreement we have a totally dysfunctional system of government where people with diametrically opposed politically perspectives must attempt to work together in a compulsory coalition. Nowhere else in the world has such a system of government. Perhaps it is amazing that they do as well as they do? Equally, maybe we have got the politicians we deserve. Just a thought.
We elect them and it's not as if we don't know what we are getting, or possibly we don't. The problem is that all our parties and our voting behaviour are still defined by the constitutional issue. I wonder if Sinn Fein were to rebrand as Neo-Marxists (not that they all fit that description) would they be the second largest party? Where would the DUP stand with their mix of views? Our entire system and electorate are not really fit for purpose in a post conflict society.