Charlie Hebdo

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Charlie Hebdo

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
The Papa attempted comedy, quite appropriate in many ways, to basically say "if you go around offending people you get a dig in the jaw", well Frankie, actually it was not a slap on the jaw but a burst of bullets to one's mortal coil.
A f-cking dumb comment by Francis and not the first one. Pity really because he has been on the positive side of the line since he took over the big seat. He needs to cop on and engage his brain before opening his mouth.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

+1
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

I think everyone knows people who have deep devotion to Jesus, are good people and would never under any circumstances harm anyone but who would be hurt at a gratuitious insult to their Saviour.
Devout people take their religion seriously and are usually among the best citizens a country can have.
There are also in every faith a small minority of crazy people who equate religion with tribalism and are willing to kill on account of it.
Outsiders seeking to expose and isolate the latter, if they want to make a difference, would do well to not gratuitously offend the former.
The best political cartoons are both funny and make a political point.
In the wake of the Charlie Hebdo murders there was a cartoon printed somewhere that showed bullets being fired into the Charlie Hebdo offices coming out the other side and damaging a Mosque.
That wasn't particularly funny but it did make a very strong political point.
On the other hand, the Charlie Hebdo cartoons I've seen featuring the Prophet Mohammed were neither funny (imo) nor made any substantive political points. They did nothing to separate the extremists from the muslim community in general, they actually served to deepen the rift between muslims in France and the rest of French society.
Last edited by pythagoras on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Anyone notice the Ulster coaches had a je suis charlie sign in their booth?
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

Russ wrote:Anyone notice the Ulster coaches had a je suis charlie sign in their booth?
Yep - but wasn't sure if they had put it there, had requested it be put there, it was just already up there when they took their places, or whether S Logan had negotiated a £5M sponsorship/naming rights of the UR booth with Charlie? :scratch:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pythagoras wrote:I think everyone knows people who have deep devotion to Jesus, are good people and would never under any circumstances harm anyone but who would be hurt at a gratuitious insult to their Saviour.
Devout people take their religion seriously and are usually among the best citizens a country can have.
There are also in every faith a small minority of crazy people who equate religion with tribalism and are willing to kill on account of it.
Outsiders seeking to expose and isolate the latter, if they want to make a difference, would do well to not gratuitously offend the former.
In the wake of the Charlie Hebdo murders there was a cartoon printed somewhere that showed bullets being fired into the Charlie Hebdo offices coming out the other side and damaging a Mosque.
On the other hand, the Charlie Hebdo cartoons I've seen featuring the Prophet Mohammed were neither funny (imo) nor made any substantive political points. They did nothing to separate the extremists from the muslim community in general, they actually served to deepen the rift between muslims in France and the rest of French society.
Yeah yeah yeah, we should all take a leaf out of the mentalist handbook and be homophobes......... like you for example???

Devout people have neither a monopoly of goodness nor evil. My guess would be that on average they are probably as decent as the average citizen. Most people have things that they approve of or disapprove of, the devout no more or less than anyone else.

That is an incredibly dull witted post. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
The Papa attempted comedy, quite appropriate in many ways, to basically say "if you go around offending people you get a dig in the jaw", well Frankie, actually it was not a slap on the jaw but a burst of bullets to one's mortal coil.
A f-cking dumb comment by Francis and not the first one. Pity really because he has been on the positive side of the line since he took over the big seat. He needs to cop on and engage his brain before opening his mouth.
Asking a bit much Shan, afterall he is just a humble priest, man of the people and a stand up guy ........ with a good right hook.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
pythagoras wrote:I think everyone knows people who have deep devotion to Jesus, are good people and would never under any circumstances harm anyone but who would be hurt at a gratuitious insult to their Saviour.
Yeah yeah yeah, we should all take a leaf out of the mentalist handbook and be homophobes......... like you for example???

Devout people have neither a monopoly of goodness nor evil. My guess would be that on average they are probably as decent as the average citizen. Most people have things that they approve of or disapprove of, the devout no more or less than anyone else.

Labelling people, again, are we?
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Asking a bit much Shan, afterall he is just a humble priest, man of the people and a stand up guy ........ with a good right hook.
I think the good Bishops Jesuit indoctrination would mean that He is in fact "all things to all men".His election smacked of desperation on the part of the Curia who succumbed to the military order at long last in the wake of the child rape scandals etc.
Most religions despise hebdo as they all get the "treatment" on the cover.its a pity We don't have something akin to it here.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pythagoras wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Yip, I call them a I see them. You got a problem with being called a homophobe, you have appeared quite pleased with it previously. Someone buggered you to change your mind? Just a polite enquiry you understand. One hopes you aren't offended.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

namron wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
I think the good Bishops Jesuit indoctrination would mean that He is in fact "all things to all men".His election smacked of desperation on the part of the Curia who succumbed to the military order at long last in the wake of the child rape scandals etc.
Most religions despise hebdo as they all get the "treatment" on the cover.its a pity We don't have something akin to it here.
Sounds about right Norm, then you have some joke shop clowns harping on about how the devout are generally the finest of men, wonder what percentage of known paedophiles wear round collars? My guess would be a figure totally out of whack with their percentage in the population. I also wonder how many devout men have covered up their crimes?

Have to say, as long as Hebdo is an equal opportunities offender of mentalists or anyone else, I have no problem with occasional excesses of zeal.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
pythagoras wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Yip, I call them a I see them. You got a problem with being called a homophobe, you have appeared quite pleased with it previously. Someone buggered you to change your mind? Just a polite enquiry you understand. One hopes you aren't offended.
I know very little about you, but seeing as how you're such a bigmouth I think it's safe to assume that I know more about you than you do me.
Anyway, I reckon there's nothing to be gained by interacting with you, so I'm not going to bother, ever again.
And unlike your periodical, it's all about me, me, mee, flouncings off the forum, you can take that to the bank.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

As far as Franceys statement speaks of insulting ones mother(church). Would you rather someone insulted your mother or sexually abused your children ? It must be a quandary for some given the outpouring of disgust over the product of mere pen and ink rather than the legacy of ruined human beings.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pythagoras wrote: Anyway, I reckon there's nothing to be gained by interacting with you, so I'm not going to bother, ever again.
Excellent news, you bore me shitless. :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Muslims burn churches in Africa in protest against Charlie Hebdo, the great christian apologists.:shock:
charliehebdo.jpg
charliehebdo.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Ignorance. :roll: