Glasgow v Ulster - Play Off Semi Final

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Article
Initiate

Re: Glasgow v Ulster - Play Off Semi Final

Post by Article »

Forget Matawalu....that's pure avoiding the fact we played all the rugby and failed to put away a fairly average Glasgow team...don't blame ref, or Matawalu.....we have to look closer to home. We really blew a prime chance for silverware...gutted.
MARB
Novice

Post by MARB »

I am a mixture between incensed and gutted right now. I am sick of being the team that 'almost' made it, we have players in our team that most clubs in Europe would rip off a limb to have amongst their ranks. Yet constantly on the big occasion when it REALLY matters we are found wanting, we are chokers.

We had the winning of that game tonight. It was fecking silly mistakes again that cost us. I'd be very interested to find out why when they were on our line we had one fecking sub on?! 60-65 minutes we should have been unloading the bench, obviously there is reasoning behind this but why the feck we opted to bring McCloskey, Diack et al on at 77 minutes is a joke.

Clancy, the less said the better. I can't help but wonder what if that had have been any other ref, would that wee cheat Matawalu have won the penalty, as we had the advantage if I remember correctly, I am aware that the decision can be reversed should the incident be reviewed as 'serious' but c'mon, this is Rugby ffs, no place in the game for his play acting. Also, Stupid by Lutton to give it away in the first place, but those little things happen all the time in the game and nothing happens.

Feel for Rory, he was visibly gutted at the end, as am I, as I'm sure you all are too.

Fair dues to Glasgow, they won, undeservedly in my eyes, but they won.
"I would never bow to the knees of an opponent. I was never prepared to give second best to him and I'm sure that is the trait of a true Ulsterman."

Willie John McBride
HoneyBadger
Novice

Glasgow v Ulster - Play Off Semi Final

Post by HoneyBadger »

HoneyBadger wrote:As I saw someone comment on the times no doubt we'll flatter to deceive, lose marginally and some debatable decision will go against us which we'll blame. Oh and we'll probably have someone binned or sent off
Wow look I predicted this a few hours ago :O
Using Tapatalk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HoneyBadger wrote:
HoneyBadger wrote:As I saw someone comment on the times no doubt we'll flatter to deceive, lose marginally and some debatable decision will go against us which we'll blame. Oh and we'll probably have someone binned or sent off
Well done you! >appl >appl >appl

:roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ScarletsMun
Novice

Post by ScarletsMun »

HoneyBadger wrote:
You got that bit wrong. Clancy saved you there.

What goes around comes around lads. Personally I feel Ulster's actions this season on the pitch have been that of a team that is frustrated at knowing it is not acheiveing what it should, and haven't warranted a final in the pro12.

I also feel the organisation of the Pro12 itself is rotten to the core. You lads won't agree with this and will probably want to kill me just for posting here. But there we go.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Would the result have been different had a decent ref been at the helm? I can't help but think it would have. That's what makes this hurt more for me.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

What does "what goes around come around" mean for Ulster?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well, we blew it. We were so far on top in the first half and then ................ nothing. The usual 3rd twenty gave Glasgow every encouragement despite they were unravelling and had 5 players off the bench.

We choked, never looked like playing well in the second half and yet 5 minutes to go, in their half, we choked, Lutton was unbelievably stupid - frankly well as he scrummaged, I'd be tempted to sack him, it was a clear penalty & frankly I was just waiting for the yellow card.

Instead of being in control we invited them into our half & they scented blood. Good try, great conversion. Done & dusted, we never ever threatened to do anything in the little time left.

I find Glasgow an unpleasant team, the little diving fecker is a turd, they have a growing crowd of mannerless basterds, booing kicks, just lacks class ............then again it is Glasgow.

No blame attaches to Clancy, I've seldom seen him as balanced, he did allow the cheating Weegies to kill the final minute of the game but it mattered not a jot, we were beaten at that stage.

That said, I did say there was a reason why teams win at home, Clancy had no interest in Lutton & the cheat until the screen showed it & the crowd howled. That said it was a penalty & Lutton, smile & all, needs a boot in the ballix.

Gutted, I will be supporting Munster or Ospreys next week, I don't much like Glasgow.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ScarletsMun wrote:
HoneyBadger wrote:
You got that bit wrong. Clancy saved you there.

What goes around comes around lads. Personally I feel Ulster's actions this season on the pitch have been that of a team that is frustrated at knowing it is not acheiveing what it should, and haven't warranted a final in the pro12.

I also feel the organisation of the Pro12 itself is rotten to the core. You lads won't agree with this and will probably want to kill me just for posting here. But there we go.
Classy >appl >appl >appl
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ScarletsMun
Novice

Post by ScarletsMun »

Joe Schmo wrote:What does "what goes around come around" mean for Ulster?
If you are referencing my post, then I personally am making comment on the way Ulster have performed this season, particularly disciplinary wise. Not good.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

The Lutton penalty was a turning point but I thought we were in trouble for a while. We never really established a platform second-half and I think we were visibly struggling with their bench. That's been a failing of Doak's for a while, maybe we need more strength but guys like Diack, Warwick, McCloskey and Herring should have all been give more trust this season for my money.

Onwards and upwards. Pure frustration not to make the leap now but there's a team there that can win it with a bit of luck and just a bit more strength and quality. Up to Kiss to start developing a squad that doesn't pass up easy points in the season and the nous for that little bit extra.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

ayepod wrote:Gutted. No idea how we lost that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
easy, didn't take our chances. Glasgee were a beaten team from about the 30th minute, you could see it from the body language. We needed something from that scrum at the end of the first half in the corner, and Ludik's drive to the line, the ball needed to come back but it never was coming back. Very disappointing yet again but hey ho, we have had a frustrating season.
Red
Novice

Post by Red »

So in terms of assessment :

We're the best XV in the Pro 12. Maybe the best XX, we have very little beyond that
Matuwalu would make a good soccer player, but we should have been out of sight regardless
We bossed the first half and had only a 2 point advantage to show for it
We went defensive from 40 mins onward, Ludik and Pienaar's kicks straight after half time showed us what the team talk was at the break
We didn't bother to use the bench when it was clear Cave and Payne were on their haunches at 60 mins.
Lutton is a good player
Clarke is ............ begrudgingly, a good coach. The 1st for scrums and 1st for lineouts in the Pro 12 all season speaks well for him from a technical perspective
Clarke is a horrible man manager (see Lutton)
We have no leaders on the field
We may not have any leaders off the pitch
We can't raise out game when we really need to, like champions. Muller gave us a turbo button on the pitch, we're fairly average without him
It's another season where we were good enough, we really were, but we fell short

..... Townsend is a great coach. That Glasgow team are nothing special

And so, in conclusion. I can't help but feel that we've underachieved and not made the most of our indisputably talented squad.

In seasons past, I feared Munster. No so after that quarter final in Thomand. Last season and the season before I feared Leinster, not so after we beat them and they've fallen out of the top 4. I fear ........... no one. I honestly think that Ulster team could beat any team in the Pro 12 (lets leave Europe for now) and yet it's another year of disappointment.

We can improve the pack, but not by much. The backline is honestly the envy of almost all teams in Europe. What more do we need to do ............
Red
Novice

Post by Red »

And incase it isn't clear.

Well done Glasgow. Really well done.

To Tommy Seymour as well. You've done well lad. All the best. If Munster make it to Ravenhill I'm obliged to support them, but Glasgow have all my best wishes if it's the Ospreys.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Article wrote:Forget Matawalu....that's pure avoiding the fact we played all the rugby and failed to put away a fairly average Glasgow team...don't blame ref, or Matawalu.....we have to look closer to home. We really blew a prime chance for silverware...gutted.
Wot he said
>appl