Biblical matters

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Biblical matters

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:You didn't read it?
Baggy's talking shyte. There's absolutely no mention of duffle begs in the Bible .... or is there?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Brian Dunn 382 wrote:What references do you have for this Baggy?
Specifically for what? I have made numerous post on this thread, which bit are you seeking references for?
Brian Dunn 382 wrote:...... I just wanted to point out that you cannot judge Christianity by the rantings of some deluded and probably rich American.
If it were but one deluded Seppo, then I'd agree wholeheartedly, it isn't one, there are many such "pastors". However I will give you one potential bit of solace. I believe Americans of the evangelical bent are as mad as a bag of frogs, I do not relate them to your everyday Norn Iron mentalist.

As a general issue, many here are saying that much of the bible is metaphor and not to be taken as a strict meaning or intent. That my friends would be all well and good, yet in our vile little statelet, the majority party regularly tell us that something is either good or bad, because it is so written in the bible.

And finally Brian .........
you cannot judge Christianity by the rantings of some deluded and probably rich American. It is like comparing the beliefs of all atheists with the actions of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao
I fear you completely misunderstand atheism. It is not a belief system, the only thing atheists have absolutely in common is a lack of belief in a god, gods, or any mixture of gods some may worship such as our dear friends the Hindus or Native Americans. It is therefore completely incongruous, indeed somewhat daft, to say that I, or any other atheist, have the slightest connection with any or all of the above simply by virtue of being an atheist. There is no atheist "belief system", yet you are not the first person on this forum to make this bizarre statement. (I'm pretty sure brother Snipe has run it up the flegpole in the past, obviously I await his denial :lol: )
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
Baggy's talking shyte. There's absolutely no mention of duffle begs in the Bible .... or is there?
Feck off Merv :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I referred to "7 heads in a duffle beg" it is true I did spake a little shyte, for a start there were allegedly 8 heads, I may have been confused by thon lass's head in a dufflebeg in Seven.

More importantly, the "his" I referred to was not one God's worst movies, I intended it as one of Joe Pesci's worst.
8heads.jpg
8heads.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 356 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Brian Dunn 382 wrote:My belief is that God has done everything to prevent anyone going to hell
How can you say this when the objective physical evidence for his existence is nil? Throw us a bone here!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Dave wrote:
Brian Dunn 382 wrote:My belief is that God has done everything to prevent anyone going to hell
How can you say this when the objective physical evidence for his existence is nil? Throw us a bone here!!
A few weeks ago people believed that brexit meant there'd be £350m per week more going to be spent on the NHS.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Does Brexit mean Brexit?
If so then what is Brexit?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:

Dave - It is a belief. It does not rely on physical evidence.

I think the proposed deity could have done more to prevent anyone going to hell. It could have either a) not created an environment which includes hell or b) not created the universe at all.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OneMore wrote:
Dave wrote:
A few weeks ago people believed that brexit meant there'd be £350m per week more going to be spent on the NHS.
Yin, Brian seems a good chap & well meaning, you I know to be a good sort, but here, are you trying to tell me you think people of a religious bent are as thick as two short BRexiters?

Maybe I took you up wrongly. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Does Brexit mean Brexit?
If so then what is Brexit?
That my good man is similar to the answer on that nice Mr Fry's televisual extravaganza QI, to wit, "nobody knows".

Was BRexit mentioned in the Bible, I have to say my reading of it suggests not, for the god lord surely would have suggested infinite agony, as is his wont, for those voting to divorce from the good people of Europe, god's chosen people.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
OneMore wrote:
Dave wrote:
Yin, Brian seems a good chap & well meaning, you I know to be a good sort, but here, are you trying to tell me you think people of a religious bent are as thick as two short BRexiters?

Maybe I took you up wrongly. Image Image Image Image Image
Ah, not so blunt. I'm merely pointing out that something stated as belief is not the same as saying that it's fact.

Someone should be allowed to hold a belief, particularly while stating that it's a belief, and not be questioned about it purely on the basis that there is no objective physical evidence to support it.

Should there be objective physical evidence that specifically contradicts the belief then fair play, the belief is nonsense, but that doesn't exist here.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Byron burgers. Discuss
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
Don't know about duffle begs in the bible, but here's a bit of bible on a dufflebeg. £27 worth.
duffel_bag.jpg
duffel_bag.jpg (96.43 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

OneMore wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
OneMore wrote:
Dave wrote:

Maybe I took you up wrongly. Image Image Image Image Image
Ah, not so blunt. I'm merely pointing out that something stated as belief is not the same as saying that it's fact.

Someone should be allowed to hold a belief, particularly while stating that it's a belief, and not be questioned about it purely on the basis that there is no objective physical evidence to support it.

Should there be objective physical evidence that specifically contradicts the belief then fair play, the belief is nonsense, but that doesn't exist here.
One more, my comment was a direct response to Brian who stated that 'god has done everything he can' to prevent us hellbound non-believers from our fate.

You can believe what ever you wish to believe, that is your right. There are no means to disprove the concept of the Christian god. He might be real, I can't say he isn't. I look at it from the reverse angle, in that I await hard physical evidence before drawing a conclusion. That is how logically I would approach the matter.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Aye and here is anor thung.

I always find it difficult to know how to react when a believer tries to tell me about their "personal relationship with God".

I have to be honest, in everyday life, as distinct from this Nuthouse, I do try to be mannerly to people I meet, but those 4 words make me tighten my sphincter in an effort not to laugh out loud. I always believe that any meaningful relationship is a two way thing ........or more, I'm not judgmental >EW ...........but I would dearly love to know what this relationship consists of. It appears to be entirely composed of waffle.

Anyone care to explain?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OneMore wrote: Someone should be allowed to hold a belief
Quite so Yin, however there is a widespread clamour that "belief" should draw some form of respect or reverence. Ron'n made just that claim a few days ago. I regard someone seeking my indulgence of their "beliefs" in the same way I regard someone who claims to be offended - the classic Stephen Fry retort of "so fecking what?"

People are very welcome to their beliefs, however that I or anyone should treat their belief with some sort of reverence simply because it is a religious belief is a nonsense. That is simply the sort of comfort blanket the Ron'n's of this world believe is their due so their "beliefs" should not be questioned.

As you gave the classic example of "the £350 million a week"as a belief of sorts, it would be extraordinary for some pillock to think I should not question it simply because he/she/they believe it.