Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by UlsterNo9 »

kingofthehill wrote:Otoole
Reid
Clarke
McCusker
Dalton
Dunleavy
Allison

They are my picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All future Lions standard KOTH?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Otoole
Reid
Clarke
McCusker
Dalton
Dunleavy
Allison

They are my picks.

All future Lions standard KOTH?
Reid's as good as we've had for a long time. But I don't know if we could equate that to Lions standard yet...
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

McCusker and Dunleavy are the two I've been told most to watch out for.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

to be conviced re O'Toole, Clarke.

Really like Reid, Dalton, McCusker, Dunleavy and Allison.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Will be interesting to see who makes the academy with Kieran Campbell the head coach of Ireland u19.

Really hope that ulster players haven't been held back by very average signings brought in from other provinces.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:McCusker and Dunleavy are the two I've been told most to watch out for.
I could have told you half of that 10 years ago.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Unfortunately it will be another 10 years till we see them get 5 minutes of the bench against some poor Italian franchise......
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

kingofthehill wrote:Will be interesting to see who makes the academy with Kieran Campbell the head coach of Ireland u19.

Really hope that ulster players haven't been held back by very average signings brought in from other provinces.

Heard Campbell doesn't have the best relationship with some players, might be reflected in who he choses for academy places and for Ireland u19.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Bayern wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Will be interesting to see who makes the academy with Kieran Campbell the head coach of Ireland u19.

Heard Campbell doesn't have the best relationship with some players, might be reflected in who he choses for academy places and for Ireland u19.
Hopefully we don't end up with another Chris Taylor-like situation.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Paul Mullan is a useful prop as well, started senior Rugby with Armagh as soon as he turned 18.
What about the backs? There were already a couple of good 10 's before they dug up the SA kid
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Rooster wrote:Paul Mullan is a useful prop as well, started senior Rugby with Armagh as soon as he turned 18.
What about the backs? There were already a couple of good 10 's before they dug up the SA kid
Agreed,why bring these guys in who couldn't care less about the province.

Where is Angus Lloyd now after playing for Ulster u20s? Did he hold anyone back?

Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

kingofthehill wrote:
Rooster wrote:Paul Mullan is a useful prop as well, started senior Rugby with Armagh as soon as he turned 18.

Where is Angus Lloyd now after playing for Ulster u20s? Did he hold anyone back?

Playing for Munster.. How they handled Stewart/O'Donnell last year was frankly awful.. Stewart should have been playing Ulster u20/academy and O'Donnell Ulster u19.. instead they had lloyd playing u20/academy.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Cormac Fox and Michael Lowry will have to compete with this Angus Curtis lad next season.

Although Ulster have already invested in Curtis by bringing him over.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Bayern wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

Playing for Munster.. How they handled Stewart/O'Donnell last year was frankly awful.. Stewart should have been playing Ulster u20/academy and O'Donnell Ulster u19.. instead they had lloyd playing u20/academy.
100% agreed-absolutely appalling the way they handled two very talented 9s.

It makes my blood boil that Angus Lloyd was brought in and played for the 20s were Jonny Stewart should of played. Instead he was played for the u19 and O'Donnell then is benched where he plays 10mins of the interpros having trained all summer as the starting 9.

Then Lloyd upsticks and signs for Munster. Where is the development of O'Donnell?

How can he now be picked by Irish u19s (coached by Campbell) when he wasn't picked by Campbell at Ulster u19s.

No doubt there will be 3 scrumhalves from Leinster/Munster in Irish u19s now.

Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

kingofthehill wrote:
Bayern wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

100% agreed-absolutely appalling the way they handled two very talented 9s.

It makes my blood boil that Angus Lloyd was brought in and played for the 20s were Jonny Stewart should of played. Instead he was played for the u19 and O'Donnell then is benched where he plays 10mins of the interpros having trained all summer as the starting 9.

Then Lloyd upsticks and signs for Munster. Where is the development of O'Donnell?

How can he now be picked by Irish u19s (coached by Campbell) when he wasn't picked by Campbell at Ulster u19s.

No doubt there will be 3 scrumhalves from Leinster/Munster in Irish u19s now.

Doubt there will be more than two.. with a 3rd in reserve.