Who will decide

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Who will decide

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I confess to being very conflicted, my wife,son and daughter who have little or no interest in Rugby utterly abominate the disgraceful misogynistic language that the WhatsApp group appears to have considered perfectly normal. My daughter says she has not seen anything like it in her circle of friends, though friends have told me their daughters considered it reasonably normal.

They have no interest in the fact that it should never have been seen in public, it has been and it is revolting.

I’m with them so far, but here is where I diverge, and they are dismayed. I believe in proportionality. I believe 20 months of worry about being jailed never mind the comparatively secondary consequence of losing your job is a pretty fair price to pay for talking in luridly misogynistic terms in your illadvised social media expressions, which of course may or may not be a measure of your genuine beliefs and behaviours.

I believe that what they have endured over 20 months of a dubious prosecution and the stresses endured are at the very least punishment for what amounts to Orwellian thought crime.

I don’t expect everyone to forgive and forget, I doubt we’ll see it but I would like to see proportional reactions, not a headlong rush to demand that their lives must be completely ruined over inappropriate language and blatant misogyny.
People, particularly young men, carelessly and unthinkingly use a lot of pejorative terminology in their everyday language that does not necessarily reflect their true thoughts. This terminology is often, amongst other things: sexist, ageist, homophobic, racist and always distasteful. I don't think that this means that the individuals involved are sexist, ageist, homophobic or racist, but it does mean that they are careless in their casual conversations and do not think about how their comments are potentially received outside of their intended audience. Young men generally don't think.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I know they are damned by association but don't lose sight of the fact PJ didn't write anything mysogynistic. Blane McIlroy is the true prat in this scenario.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I confess to being very conflicted, my wife,son and daughter who have little or no interest in Rugby utterly abominate the disgraceful misogynistic language that the WhatsApp group appears to have considered perfectly normal. My daughter says she has not seen anything like it in her circle of friends, though friends have told me their daughters considered it reasonably normal.

Perfectly normal in private messaging according to my daughter and her partner aged 29/35.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I find it hard to believe she fancies herself as a journalist. The ad is very poorly written. Maybe nowadays everyone with a blog is considered a journalist.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Deraless wrote:I find it hard to believe she fancies herself as a journalist. The ad is very poorly written. Maybe nowadays everyone with a blog is considered a journalist.

She wasn't very articulate on the radio either.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Deraless wrote:I find it hard to believe she fancies herself as a journalist. The ad is very poorly written. Maybe nowadays everyone with a blog is considered a journalist.

She got into TV journalism through her appearance on Big Brother. Unlikely that she has ever undertaken any training in journalism.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jamie Bwyson 2.0
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

promenader 2 wrote:

She got into TV journalism through her appearance on Big Brother. Unlikely that she has ever undertaken any training in journalism.
Not the same girl. The belly telly made the same mistake.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

Good 'Cup Final' day at Ravers today. Didn't see any of the concerned fans supporting any of the six teams on show.

One thing that was brought to my attention, whilst at Ravers, was that the UR staff seem to have seen lots of support for the 'don't let them play again brigade' but not that much for the 'they're innocent get them back playing as soon as possible' supporters. Might I suggest that everyone posting/reading articles on this site send emails or letters to Bryn, Logan or even to Ulster Rugby in general. Perhaps you could tell your friends and relatives to send messages of support too.

Maybe Mr Logan could use his Christian values of forgiveness in the situation.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I've typed a letter, will post tomorrow

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

twiglet wrote:Good 'Cup Final' day at Ravers today. Didn't see any of the concerned fans supporting any of the six teams on show.

One thing that was brought to my attention, whilst at Ravers, was that the UR staff seem to have seen lots of support for the 'don't let them play again brigade' but not that much for the 'they're innocent get them back playing as soon as possible' supporters. Might I suggest that everyone posting/reading articles on this site send emails or letters to Bryn, Logan or even to Ulster Rugby in general. Perhaps you could tell your friends and relatives to send messages of support too.

Maybe Mr Logan could use his Christian values of forgiveness in the situation.
We are all keyboard warriors. No action will be taken.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

The Feminist Network are targeting the Ospreys game... suspect they will place themselves outside as they won’t want to pay to get in.. although some on field protest could make the news... I remember once when some glipe once climbed the walls and painted the posts but that was before social media.

Season tickets going well so the storm is settling.. Bryn has promised change and after they announce the new coach ticket sales will go thru the roof.. Terry will eventually come out of hiding and Paddy will be our starting 10 next year.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Big Neville Southall
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

Jackie Brown wrote:I've typed a letter, will post tomorrow
Is there a crowd funding campaign to help with the postage stamp?

Prices have rocketed I believe.