New Coach

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: New Coach

Post by Tender »

What, even more Boojums?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

ColinM wrote:Soon we'll have sufficient Mexicans plying their trade here that they'll want them looked after a bit better.

Who coaches Leinster A?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

I see the Ospreys have been copying Ulster Rugby.....In their global search to find a replacement for Steve Tandy, they have appointed Allan Clarke
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Silverstu wrote:Maybe what is taking soloing is they are cloning Gibbs, his duplicate is still in the vat.
Our chances of getting a good coach might be more to do with the IRFU pushing for one to reverse the rot that has set in here. Its a shame Gibbs has to leave as the team is starting to perform again. I think Gibbs sets the sort of template -a no nonsense ex forward coach with a good sense of the overall game. Wonder if they could bring Jeremy Davidson back? {I wonder if he'd want to come back!]
He said no when they last asked him...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

What coach in his right mind would want to coach somewhere where he has little or no say in who he signs... wouldn’t be surprised if they try to get a 10 here before the announcement of a coach that way he will have to take what he has...

Still not sure how it is supposed to work with the IRFU deciding who our next 10 is and not the coach..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cockatrice wrote:
Silverstu wrote:Maybe what is taking soloing is they are cloning Gibbs, his duplicate is still in the vat.
Our chances of getting a good coach might be more to do with the IRFU pushing for one to reverse the rot that has set in here. Its a shame Gibbs has to leave as the team is starting to perform again. I think Gibbs sets the sort of template -a no nonsense ex forward coach with a good sense of the overall game. Wonder if they could bring Jeremy Davidson back? {I wonder if he'd want to come back!]
JD won't come back here, end of story.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
We don't need a coach with any baggage, we need a completely new face.
I wonder is the Ulster job viewed as a poisoned chalice? All this negative press is, D4 interference and a seemingly dysfunctional organisation.
My position has always been that a coach will see a failing team, like ours, as a challenge. Maybe we're not worth the agro.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
I wonder is the Ulster job viewed as a poisoned chalice? All this negative press is, D4 interference and a seemingly dysfunctional organisation.
My position has always been that a coach will see a failing team, like ours, as a challenge. Maybe we're not worth the agro.

Reminds me of when Kevin "I'd love it" Keegan was manager at Newcastle. He told the players he was bringing in a few new faces. "Can I have one boss?" asked Peter Beardsley. :duck: :duck: :duck:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

Reminds me of when Kevin "I'd love it" Keegan was manager at Newcastle. He told the players he was bringing in a few new faces. "Can I have one boss?" asked Peter Beardsley. :duck: :duck: :duck:
Harsh...
Crusoe
Novice

Post by Crusoe »

Nice to see Bernard Jackman supply his job application and covering letter through RTE.
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

A wee bit harsh Crusoe!!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/042 ... to-ulster/
Fair play to Jackman he’s standing up for Ulster when the overwhelming trend is to drive the boot in.
He did great things at Grenoble (before the money ran out) and don’t forget he snapped up Chris Farrell while Ulster dozed over his contract.
He has his work cut out with the Dragons for sure but let’s give him the respect when he’s giving it to us. We won’t be getting him as coach but we could end up with worse.
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He could have added that we’ve lost the same number of games as Munster and won 4 out of 6 in Europe.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote:He could have added that we’ve lost the same number of games as Munster and won 4 out of 6 in Europe.

Ulster define Paradox Lionel, when you look at the figures it doesn’t appear that much worse than decent teams, yet we all know that it has been a horrible season, appalling defeats, no shows against decent teams, yet plenty of TBPs thrown in, games thrown away, particularly home to Embra which cost the expected playoff place, the threat which still exists of the Parker Pen........ and we haven’t even touched on off-field nightmares.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well indeed but I think the positive to all this is that there are clear signs that we're circling the wagons, with the likes of Cooney and Stockcube sniping back plus three solid performances on the bounce out there where it matters.

For a season that, until very recently, couldn't end quickly enough......
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ulster have had a horrible season because of several on field and off field factors, some have existed for several seasons.

1 -- the lack of an experienced back row with similar standard players in depth,
2-- The lack of any effective ball carriers in the front five, especially in wet weather, the result is the only effective means out of defence is to kick away possession.
3-- A backline devoid of its star players ( PJ-SO-AT-TB -JP - LL-CG - LM ) some unavailable all season, some for several weeks due to injury
4 -- Academy players lacking the physical capability to play PRO rugby at the moment ie Under 21 the promise is there but it might be destroyed by injury or destruction of confidence .

Then a DoR trying to modify an approach to the game without recognising that the game is different to rugby league and roles are not interchangeable and a coaching team new to each other and the players .
Then the head coach announced he was leaving 1/2 through the season stability behind the players has been totally lacking all season.

In to this mix add D4 interference and their failure to recognise need, a CEO who lacks the trust of fans, and I would now possibly add players , to what effect the coaching situation reflects on the action or inaction of the CEO, is anybodies guess !!

But the way the Provincial Management is currently viewed by most and the disquiet and uncertainty which must exist among the players definitely would fail to attract too many to the POST of DOR and Head Coach of Ulster .

THe fact remains in order to turn what BoD sees as "a basket case" change has to start at the top desk, because any coach requires the knowledge that he can have confidence in his employer (CEO).

Do the conditions exist at this time to provide that assurance. ?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist