Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Replacement 10

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:He may need persuasion that we aren't a bunch of basket cases ... would you really want to move here seeing us implode over seasons???? If Joe is reassuring him that Ulster are not going to be ... left to their own marvellous devices and get worse. Then he's doing his job as a national coach.

You may fancy being a captain of a ship but if it's called the Titantic ... you may need persuading that it's not that one, and Celine Delon isn't going to start that bloody awful tune up.
Oh I don't know Fleg, I remember a beautiful warm summers night in Vegas in 2005, the Bellagio fountains dancing to the tune, my Fatboy hovering dangerous close to Mrs T's derriere, being on a promise and considering the whole thing a delightful conglomeration of ones senses being assaulted, from her perfume to the subtle hint of fine cooking drifting across the water from Lago Restaurant of the Bellagio.................. all in all, old Saline sounded mellow.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Carberry is between a rock and a hard place both Sexton and Kearney are somewhat injury prone but at 10 he has Byrne while not a hot wire alternative to Sexton he Byrne is more like Sexton as a player ( Jonny no loop )

And at full back there is the possibility that Lamour would get the nod before him ( bigger and more solid and less likely to disappear up his own Brennan )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

skiboo wrote:If Carberry needs so much persuading he is better not here. In any event my main concern would be 9 if Cooney is unavailable. I regret Shananahan is just not the man. We have invested a number of years with him, he is 25 and appears not able to learn. One step two step and pass will not work in the professional game and in any event he is just a lightweight. How many times this season has he been thrown around like a rag doll and cost us points. For me he should be the first name on the Dave's for sale list. Centres would I believe improve greatly if we had a quaility backrow and someone in the forwards to carry the ball. As it is McCloskey is the focus to gain ground to the detriment of getting quick ball to the wings.

You're not wrong about shanners, his footwork while passing is Astaire-like but it's not all his fault, his inexperience shows when the pressure is on. He needs better protection. But i can't see how a replacement scrumhalf is more important than our starting 10 position?

I concur with your thinking if we had a decent back row, getting over the gain line, our centre problems would be a lot smaller. Front foot ball is what our team have been missing since Nick Williams left. Our front 8 have too much softness in it, hopefully next year it will be an improvement, but it won't be the finished article.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:If Carberry really wants to come he wouldn't require all this persuasion.
What persuasion? All we are hearing is claptrap and media speculation.
Of all groups of people we should be most aware of how the media spin everything to create maximum controversy.

All we know is that Joe and Nucifuhrer landed at Leinster training, Leo wasn't too impressed and both Carbery and Byrne expressed a preference to stay at Leinster. I'd be shocked if there was any other response. Apart from that it's all guff from the media.
We'll know soon enough what's happening. Let Leinster get their season completed and then things should begin to move. If they're going to.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

stickinout wrote:
Rooster wrote:What worries me about Carbury is who does he learn from up here ? He is not far advanced in development as a 10 and if Cooney is not playing could have Shanaghan as his 9 which is not exactly awe inspiring either, as far as Ireland goes as well is it really in his interest to come here ?
Byrne is more competent at 10 already so if anyone is being shoved up here Byrne would make more sense and give Carbury more time with Sexton
but then Leinster will be outhalf less during the international windows
There's little chance they let Byrne go for that very reason. Carbery is No2 for Ireland and No3 for Mexico.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:If Carberry really wants to come he wouldn't require all this persuasion.
What persuasion? All we are hearing is claptrap and media speculation.
Of all groups of people we should be most aware of how the media spin everything to create maximum controversy.

All we know is that Joe and Nucifuhrer landed at Leinster training, Leo wasn't too impressed and both Carbery and Byrne expressed a preference to stay at Leinster. I'd be shocked if there was any other response. Apart from that it's all guff from the media.
We'll know soon enough what's happening. Let Leinster get their season completed and then things should begin to move. If they're going to.
Absolutely agree Snipe & as you say we as Ulster fans should be more aware of that than anyone following the recent press shenanigans.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

We don't need a 9 and a 10....we need a Ruan. and I'd also think about suing the Lions for breaking Jared.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

kingofthehill wrote:No thanks LeLe.

Am I the only person who wants carbery at ulster?

He will play 10 for a year if even that then move to 15 WHEN (definitely not an IF) Lowry comes through.

Not sold on Mcphillips but has done ok. I know it’s early days but I don’t think he’s quite good enough.

Carbery said he was happy at Leinster, that’s not saying he doesn’t want to come to ulster. I would be happy being apart of arguably the best club side in the world.
From what I understand Carbery had issues at the weekend. I think he will be up north but going on my recent track record with Friend I could be wrong.

agree with all the above...

..one more thing
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Very few Ruans in the World. He had a fantastic Rugby brain, was a great physical specimen, his box kicking was worth turning up early on Friday nights, just to watch him practise them. His passing was great and he charged down kicks for fun.
Shanananana-nana has none of the above....NONE.
We have Cooney, who is a decent 9. Then we’ve got nothing.
Back on topic... McPhillips has a lot of room for improvement, but who’s he gonna learn from?

9 & 10, both problem positions.
The Pack, too saft.
Hendo’s Knee..light candles and sacrifice chickens.
If Cave plays and Jirrid gets sorted we might be ok there.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Like Dan McFarland, Darren Cave has a Grand Slam to his name, 2007 U20s - I digress slightly but the year Luke Fitzgerald was too good to bother with the U20s, was replaced by Felix Jones and they Slammed.

I'm hoping that despite having been a prop, McFarland knows what makes a good centre partnership and it is not with two guys with skillsets that do not mesh. Big Stu & NHL are a dire partnership. Two seasons back I called NHL the best centre in the country such was his form that year, however, you go back to Jan 2017 against Clermont and for my money Luke's form has dipped since then, this season he has no tries and only 2 assists. For a 13, really? Luke's last try was that Clermont game, over 15 months with no try.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

He should want to go to Belfast. He needs experience starting at 10. It will be an absolute trial by fire working behind our chocolate pack for a year or two. A great challenge.

If it is his position that he would rather ride the pine behind Kearney, Sexton and Byrne - then he is not interested in being an integral part of the Ireland team therefore it is not in the IRFU's interest to pursue him as an option for second choice to Sexton.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

If Carberry comes and we keep McPhilips, how are we going to develop our own? Has to be one or the other.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Great news. A whole year? So lucky. Meanwhile Paddy can't even find a club.

h e l l

O F F

F I R F U
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Love how this is seen to hit Leinster the hardest. Ulster help him develop for a year then he goes back a better player and Ulster are back to square one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk