Connacht v Ulster Sat Oct 23rd 5:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Connacht v Ulster Sat Oct 23rd 5:15pm KO

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:Would be more confident if we had Moore and reidy available. Not convinced our pack will cope with the intensity of theirs and there is little bar tredders to change things on the bench.
Treadwell had a decent cameo last week. He made a few decent carries. Yes the bench isn't great for impacting on the pack. I think McCloskey can be useful from that angle as he impacts the breakdown and is another big lump. We have seen Hendo transform a lack lustre pack for Ulster and Ireland. The three named returning players gives me hope for the win.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:24 pm
Dublin4 wrote:Most rugby fans in Dublin had no idea this match was on in the Aviva until the last couple of days. A fair lot would have gone if they had known. It's not even clear how you get tickets. Hopeless marketing by Connacht I have to say.
Tickets available on the gate
Should hope so given they are only expecting 8,000 in a 51,000 stadium😂
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

McCloskey will be vital, but the big thing will be the ability of Rea and McCann to boss the breakdown. I expect it to be intense.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The game may hinge on Carty -- if he kicks well or not -- on song he can put connaught inside the Ulster 22 -- his problem is inconsistence week to week .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

The inclusion of Henderson and Balacoune will strengthen the pack and the back three but return of McCluskey and the absence through Injury of Bundi Aki will change the whole balance of the game. I have felt in the last few games that whilst Stewart Moore has talent he hasn’t at this point in his career the physical presence of the the other Stewart. It is interesting that It is O’Connor and Henderson in the row with Treadwell on the bench.This in my opinion is the right combination for a no quarter asked inter pro. Whilst Carter has his moments and has skills I don’t think he has the grunt that Oconner and Treadwell bring to the party and this quality is also there in Kearney.
It is all-looking more positive forSaturday.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

McIlroy at full-back will be an interesting one. Not really seen him defend too many high balls, nor kick, but I seem to recall reading elsewhere on here that he has played a lot there ?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

No doubt Gusher would mention that he’s a Schools Cup winner at full-back.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

First match of the season that I have looked forward too. Connacht unlucky to be without Bundee as he can always cause a scene.
Seagull
Novice

Post by Seagull »

Isn’t it great to see an Inter-Provincial match contested between two fully loaded teams rather than the normal you win/we win team selections over the Christmas/New Year matches during the past few seasons.
Heading to Dublin tomorrow with a feeling of anticipation and excitement that has been missing for a long time.
SUFTUM the Dublin Crew.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s also quite nice/unusual to be going to Dublin and not playing Leinster, irrespective of the fact that Connacht will obviously give us a game.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

germcevoy wrote:First match of the season that I have looked forward too. Connacht unlucky to be without Bundee as he can always cause a scene.
I expect Arnold to pick up the mantle of chief antagonist.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I agree Jean V he seems to have a real problem playing against Clubs that released him.
He seems to go out of his way to be antagonistic, not a very edifying characteristic.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Aird wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 am I agree Jean V he seems to have a real problem playing against Clubs that released him.
He seems to go out of his way to be antagonistic, not a very edifying characteristic.
So, do we hope he (Arnold) sees red or not? ;) :twisted:

PS, it's Stuart McCloskey, not Stewart McCluskey

Apart from that, there's a lot of sense in yer previous post. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:00 pm Ulster team to play Connacht Rugby, United Rugby Championship Round 5, Saturday 23 October at Aviva Stadium, 5.15pm kick-off, live on TG4 and Premier Sports:

(15-9) Ethan McIlroy, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Craig Gilroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Matty Rea, Nick Timoney, David McCann.

Replacements: Brad Roberts, Andrew Warwick, Ross Kane, Kieran Treadwell, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Mike Lowry, Ben Moxham.
Wot's the story on John Andrew?

Injured or simply surpassed by Brad Roberts?

While I'm a fan of Brad, John hasn't let us down in the past either.

Hooker is definitely one area where we have depth.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

While Connacht may have given up home advantage, wot worries me a bit is Andrew Brace.

Let's just say we always seem to be incapable of knowing and reacting to his interpretations of some of the laws.
I'm not arguing -